Going French

alpal78

Just to get opinion on our direction of seemingly going French. We are no doubt using the good reputation we've earned through our treatment of HBA. For me it's all good. The French are known usually to be sound technically and has always added a bit of flair to our teams. They usually command reasonable fees and wages too which is ideal for a club like us who want to get good players (not necessarily world class) to bring us to the next level and yet have to operate within a wage ceiling. Plus having a few of them together with Tiote and HBA as focal points would hopefully mean that there would be more understanding (especially if they've played together at club level or national team) and help players settle down. I remember one of the observations made in the book "Soccernomics" is that how mightily important it is for a club to help a player settle down if they want to see his best form, having a couple of them with the same nationality, same language and hopefully having known each other should help.  

On the other hand, I also know some would think that French players are softies and tend to sulk when things don't go right. Would having a core of French players in our attack mean that we fold when things get tough? Would we lose the typical British aggression and run till you die attitude that most clubs need to cut it in the Premiership which by and large is still a league which focuses on physical attributes (strength, aggression and pace)?

Guest Chubby Jason

:dowie:

Man I love people that post things like that on the internet. It makes this forum a fabulous place to be.

Guest axel

I don't mind french players, its just that if you look at Arsenal. They are good when they don't meet much resistance but when they were raped here they just melted down.

Guest elbee909

I don't understand this French = flakey thing.  If our players fold under pressure then that's just bad management.  Vieira and Petit hardly fell over in the wind, mentally speaking.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Dave, close this thread.

Why? If it's shit, then it will just drop down the list and die a natural death. Gosh no wonder the forum can be so boring at times

It will still be there, polluting the world.

Since when has Tiote been French? He's an Ivorian who played football in Holland.

I know the Ivory Coast is a former French protectorate but thats a bit like saying everyone from the Asian sub-continent is British.

Yup my mistake, don't know what I was thinking of. Was thinking of him speaking French to be honest. Will edit

Dave, close this thread.

Why? If it's s***, then it will just drop down the list and die a natural death. Gosh no wonder the forum can be so boring at times

because there's always a chance someone will bump it. How am I meant to sleep at night knowing of that possibility?

That was constructive...how so typical  :rolleyes:

Seriously if you've got no opinion on the subject matter, just don't bother to post

I watch a lot of French football.

Is the face I would pull if you said that to me in person.

Seriously if you've got no opinion on the subject matter, just don't bother to post

Said what? I gave two different position and in fact said that I liked the idea. So you're one of those who think that Frenchies are softies?

Said what? I gave two different position and in fact said that I liked the idea. So you're one of those who think that Frenchies are softies?

You made some fair points. Just found the post somewhat prejudiced.

Arsenal went 49 games unbeaten with their French contingent. It helps if the players are good.

It also helps that there's a contingent. It means that players like N'Zogbia If he comes) and HBA will be happier living in Newcastle. I'm sure that's worked out well with the Latin trio, Jonas. Colo and Enrique.

Arsenal went 49 games unbeaten with their French contingent. It helps if the players are good.

It also helps that there's a contingent. It means that players like N'Zogbia If he comes) and HBA will be happier living in Newcastle. I'm sure that's worked out well with the Latin trio, Jonas. Colo and Enrique.

Clearly it hasn't.  :shifty:

As long as they all get along i'm sure it helps. But equally I think getting a good buy in to the local feeling and vibe to the club is what can help us keep players. Ginola, Asprilla etc still rave about the club and area despite having played for historically greater clubs.