Geordie Pride

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Rivalry aside, it's shocking the way the North East has yet again become a place for good young players to get out of as soon as possible. The amount of North East talent playing in the Premiership but not for any of us is terrible really, it's not like we're producing it by the bucketload anyway. The more who go and ply their trade elsewhere, the more future kids will think of doing the same.

Wullie made a good point I thought.

"I just have to wear that shirt one day"

A certain former number 9 of ours caused anger on the stands at Ewood Park in '93 when asked by a reporter for Shoot magazine who his ideal club to play for would be. Shearer of course responded with Newcastle.

He had a burning itch to play for his hometown club to the point where he thought it was his destiny almost.

Carroll couldn't wait to leave by all accounts as soon as he saw how much Liverpool were willing to pay him.

I worry about our future not just as a club but as a 'footballing hot bed' when average local lads like Carroll and Henderson seemingly don't give a toss about playing for their local side.

Steve Bruce, Sir Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Sir Bobby Robson, Bryan Robson.... they all say one of their regrets in life was never pulling on that black andf white shirt.

Does NUFC mean as much to young kids these days? What can be done to make kids starry eyed when it comes to all things NUFC? Success? I don't know myself, were NUFC successfull when Shearer was a youngster?

Money wrecked the game, for 99% of players these days its all about the cash sadly.

This, unfortunately. Club loyalty doesn't count for anything these days - that's what the Carroll transfer confirmed to me.

I'm just older than Andy Carroll and I'd cream myself if I had the opportunity he had at Newcastle, I'm quite heavily into my roots and belonging to the north east and I feel overwhelming pride being from Newcastle.

I can't say how I'd fare if someone dangled the carrot in front of me like Carroll because its an impossible scenario for most of us.

Rooney left Everton as well because a boyhood dream very quickly becomes a career.

Lets not fucking kid anyone, I think it is fair to say Big Al joined us because we were one of the best teams around when he signed up &  we were paying him top whack.

It is only a select few who get to earn the top wages & win trophies for the clubs they supported as a child.

Guest Howaythetoon

Carroll transfer just made me appreciate what a f***ing legend Alan Shearer is. No matter what he does he cannot ruin his legacy here in my eyes.

Aye. Lets not kid ourselves though on one thing, he choose us at the peak of his powers because we not only could pay him what he was worth but also at that time had a side and future capable of winning major honours. He was always NUFC bound though and would have played for us at some point regardless. As he said it was a dream come true, to score goals at the Gallowgate for Newcastle.

Shearer had many opportunities to leave but he stayed loyal and he also put NUFC before England. I really believe Shearer when he says he does not regret joining NUFC. He may regret not winning a trophy or this or that but he lived a dream and that's special and more value than a medal around the neck.

Back in the day the only football you saw was pretty much a weekly fixture of Match of the Day, any other team other than your local one was still a distant place, the enemy as it were.

Since Sky and the almost full-time coverage of football - seemingly focused more on the perceived 'big few' - local clubs have become marginalised wherever you live. I think. Perhaps.

Rooney left Everton as well because a boyhood dream very quickly becomes a career.

Lets not fucking kid anyone, I think it is fair to say Big Al joined us because we were one of the best teams around when he signed up &  we were paying him top whack.

It is only a select few who get to earn the top wages & win trophies for the clubs they supported as a child.

As much as it irks me to say I reckon I'd be the same albeit I'd not fuck off after 2/3 seasons I'd do my utmost to win something then if I'd got too 25/26 then I'd do one abroad.

Carroll transfer just made me appreciate what a f***ing legend Alan Shearer is. No matter what he does he cannot ruin his legacy here in my eyes.

Aye. Lets not kid ourselves though on one thing, he choose us at the peak of his powers because we not only could pay him what he was worth but also at that time had a side and future capable of winning major honours. He was always NUFC bound though and would have played for us at some point regardless. As he said it was a dream come true, to score goals at the Gallowgate for Newcastle.

Shearer had many opportunities to leave but he stayed loyal and he also put NUFC before England. I really believe Shearer when he says he does not regret joining NUFC. He may regret not winning a trophy or this or that but he lived a dream and that's special and more value than a medal around the neck.

Would Shearer have turned Man Utd down for us had we been a mid-table side?

Rivalry aside, it's shocking the way the North East has yet again become a place for good young players to get out of as soon as possible. The amount of North East talent playing in the Premiership but not for any of us is terrible really, it's not like we're producing it by the bucketload anyway. The more who go and ply their trade elsewhere, the more future kids will think of doing the same.

Wullie made a good point I thought.

"I just have to wear that shirt one day"

A certain former number 9 of ours caused anger on the stands at Ewood Park in '93 when asked by a reporter for Shoot magazine who his ideal club to play for would be. Shearer of course responded with Newcastle.

He had a burning itch to play for his hometown club to the point where he thought it was his destiny almost.

Carroll couldn't wait to leave by all accounts as soon as he saw how much Liverpool were willing to pay him.

I worry about our future not just as a club but as a 'footballing hot bed' when average local lads like Carroll and Henderson seemingly don't give a toss about playing for their local side.

Steve Bruce, Sir Bobby Charlton, Jack Charlton, Sir Bobby Robson, Bryan Robson.... they all say one of their regrets in life was never pulling on that black andf white shirt.

Does NUFC mean as much to young kids these days? What can be done to make kids starry eyed when it comes to all things NUFC? Success? I don't know myself, were NUFC successfull when Shearer was a youngster?

Rubbish

No. He did stay with us while were though.

Did anyone try and lure him away like, that we know of?

I remember seeing quotes from John Gregory saying he was about to try and take him to Aston Villa just before Gullit was sacked.

Guest Howaythetoon

No, but you get the impression he would have ended up at his boyhood team at some point in his career such was his burning desire to pull on the shirt and score at the Gallowgate.

When he said "I just have to wear that shirt one day" it caused quite a stir at Blackburn because they hadn't long signed him and although we were looking a good bet to win promotion to the Premier League we were still at the time a second tier club where as Blackburn were the big spenders looking to win the title. I remember he was forced into saying something like "closer to the end of my career" regarding when he'd like to play for Newcastle.

In short, due to his love for the club, he was always going to be a NUFC player one day.

I don't think the likes of Carroll give a toss one way or the other to be honest.

Back in the day the only football you saw was pretty much a weekly fixture of Match of the Day, any other team other than your local one was still a distant place, the enemy as it were.

Since Sky and the almost full-time coverage of football - seemingly focused more on the perceived 'big few' - local clubs have become marginalised wherever you live. I think. Perhaps.

Has to play a part. :thup:

The club was a constant buzz in the background, socially, and from the blanket coverage in the local rags. It very much felt for me that it was your team, your area, against other town/cities teams. Now the constant exposure of other teams and pretty much knowing every inch of the top 4 players lives has to dilute that bond to a degree.

Still think kids dream of turning out for the club, but maybe the romanticism has been somewhat displaced by a degree of open eyed pragmatism, and perhaps a more worldly outlook in terms of career choices now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Inter Milan, Barcelona and Arsenal were all after him. I have a book, can't quite remember the title, that claims one of the reasons Shearer fell out with Gullit was because the Duthman was saying to his face he was integral to his plans yet behind his back he was telling the likes of Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool etc. that they can have him for the right price which infuriated Shearer. I know its Alan Oliver but he claims to have walked into a showdown between the two over such an issue.

I imagine many a club both at home and abroad would have loved to have signed Shearer but were put off because he was too attached to NUFC and that the club itself would never consider an offer. Didn't Houllier and O'Niell phone Sir Bobhy enquiring and Bobby told them to forget it as Shepherd would hang him even for contemplating it.

Either way, Shearer's loyalty to Newcastle isn't to be measured by how many clubs were after him during his time here. Would it be none, his loyalty still shone because he was a top top player who could have if he wanted to, easily found a much better team and successful club.

Even Fergie said while Shearer was heading towards 30, that he would still have him in his starting lineup and rated him as the best striker. Didn't he instruct Van Nistelrooy to watch Shearer?!

Guest Sadoldgit

Players aren't loyal to clubs, clubs aren't loyal to players.  As for managers as expendable as a used tissue if it suits the club/board/owners.

The only constant are the fans..because we have no where else to go.  You don't get another club coming up to you as you leave St James to say...I will pay for 2 seasons worth of tickets if you come and support us on a 3 year contract!! (might be interesting if they did mind!!

I remember seeing quotes from John Gregory saying he was about to try and take him to Aston Villa just before Gullit was sacked.

Liverpool were meant to have bid accepted at one point.

Liverpool were meant to have bid accepted at one point.

That was near the end of his time here though wasn't it? Around 2003 or 2004? We were on a par with Liverpool at that time.