Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Ba after leaving Chelsea went to Turkey and China whilst still in his prime, I think he could have done better than that. Remy went to Chelsea when they had Drogba and Costa, and stayed when they signed Falcao, he lingered there far too long and then injuries cut his prime short.

It won't be Mourinho obviously but the sort of stunt I could see Ashley pulling off next summer is replacing Rafa with a bit of a "name" and giving him £80-100m and saying something like if Benitez had committed to a new contract, he'd have got that cash. All will be rosy in the garden again, rinse and repeat.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa won’t leave, they will come to some compromise that sees him extend his contract to another 2 years or something.

Rafa won’t leave, they will come to some compromise that sees him extend his contract to another 2 years or something.

I really can’t believe this. I guess it’s possible if Rafa’s just decided it’s easier to put up with Ashley than to go and work somewhere else.

I really can’t believe this. I guess it’s possible if Rafa’s just decided it’s easier to put up with Ashley than to go and work somewhere else.

i've said the same the other day; ashley has spent 2 years building up cash in the club with rafa running things on a shoestring...he can offer rafa another contract and guaranteed £100m without impacting the clubs finances whatsoever, even if rafa says no he can offer to someone else not horrendous and give them a chunk of cash thus buying himself another 3 years or whatever until the next crisis

it's beyond inevitable

He's absolutely gone, imo. Why put up with this. He came here for a project but the owner provides no resources. NUFC is just a billboard for his bullshit stores.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's absolutely gone, imo. Why put up with this. He came here for a project but the owner provides no resources. NUFC is just a billboard for his bullshit stores.

The Rafa we have now is totally different to the Rafa who left Valencia for Liverpool. He isn’t focused on winning the CL or PL or proving himself as the best coach. We have the PE teacher Rafa who enjoys coaching players and working on that basis. He is happy, content and if he can do what he loves best and keep improving his players and his team year by year he will not look at what others are winning or how other managers are doing.

He isn’t hung up on the size of budget, if he is handed say 50m net to spend its happy days for him. It’s about having 100% control and about moving quick to bring players in early so he can get to work on coaching them over the size of the budget. It’s about the facilities and them being of a standard that aids his coaching methods more than how much he can spend on a player.

If Ashley gave him the that kind of control where he can go for a player and get him in early rather than after a month after agreeing a deal because it fits better with the accounts and if he can modernise the facilities and spend a reasonable amount of money, be it on one player or several, he will commit.

Now of course, if someone took us over and said here is 200m go and win us the PL, he isn’t going to turn around and say, nah, that’s not what I signed up for and leave.

But right now, he’s content and would be happy with an improvement in facilities, more control over signings and with a reasonable budget.

He is a coach first and foremost, he gets his job satisfaction especially having won it all and proved himself by improving players and the team tactically, individually, collectively and all in a manner that he can control and adjust going forward.

If Ashley agrees to that, he will extend his contract and for us we will stay up every season, finish mid-table at least, maybe qualify for Europe at best and try and win a Cup while he is our manager under that kind of set up.

To be honest, I don’t think Rafa is capable of much more even with bigger resources and at a bigger club. I think his days of building a team to challenge and win for the top honours is over, like Wenger at Arsenal in the end. The game has changed, the competition is bigger, the standards are higher and his football and tactics are not good enough to win those things, no outside of a one off success anyway. Mourinho is finding that out right now.

Rafa ain’t stupid, I think he knows that and for him, it’s all about being happy and working with players he can turn into better players, a team he can improve and a club that doesn’t demand instant success or any success. He has made do thus far and done exceptionally well, but again he sis t stupid and cannot keep delivering such exceptional returns with one hand tied behind his back.

He isn’t asking for much really.

If Ashley doesn’t agree to such things, he will leave, but I can see Ashley agreeing even if it’s begrudgingly so just to keep the peace, that and to say to fans when we don’t move forwards by much after a while that hey, I did my bit, it’s not my fault, blame the manager...

:lol: I see you, motherfucker. You posted two sentences as a lure and then bashed me over the head will all them god damn letters.

I read 30 percent of that and I still feel like he's gone. I know the long timers like to reminisce about days gone by but we're not unique any more. The whole attendance thing is irrelevant in the TV money era and the atmosphere never seems particularly special on TV. What he can struggle to try and accomplish here he could just do elsewhere. He tried, the owner isn't interested in supporting him or selling the club so he'll move on.

:lol: I see you, motherfucker. You posted two sentences as a lure and then bashed me over the head will all them god damn letters.

I read 30 percent of that and I still feel like he's gone. I know the long timers like to reminisce about days gone by but we're not unique any more. The whole attendance thing is irrelevant in the TV money era and the atmosphere never seems particularly special on TV. What he can struggle to try and accomplish here he could just do elsewhere. He tried, the owner isn't interested in supporting him or selling the club so he'll move on.

This. Give up all hope of Ashley doing the remotely sensible or decent thing. He’s a psycho and Rafa be damned for scorning  him in his eyes.

• 3 years later...
Guest neesy111
45 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Arguably our best striker of the past decade, though I realize that’s not saying much. :lol:

Always liked him. Hope he made bank in China and Turkey and can settle into a nice retirement.

He's our best striker since Shearer.