Back from Libya

Vinny Green Balls

Just asrrived back in the States.  The trip was absolutely incredible!  I don't think I have ever met a more civil people than the eastern Libyans.  In the absence of any real government, there was not one case of looting, and the crime rate plummeted by a factor of 20.  This is in the midst of brutality on an unimaginable scale. 

I saw the most horrifying cell phone footage of institutionalized rape committed by Gaddafi's mercenaries.  Eastern Libya looks like an abandoned civilization; the infrastructure has been not only neglected but dismantled over the last 42 years.

I met people who spent a good portion of their lives in prison for the most trivial reasons; one man spent 3 years in solitary confinement and another 4 in Busleem Prison (where the massacre of 1200 prisoners in 1996 occurred).  His crime was telling a co-worker about a dream that he was king of Libya.  I met another man who went ot prison for having the name Zakaria (every Zakaria in the country was rounded up and thrown in jail because of a failed assassination attempt on Gaddafi).

Thanks for the well wishes.  I look forward to heading back in August.

What really encapsulates the war for me is footage of rebels pulling Gaddafi soldiers out of a tank in Benghazi.  As soon as the rebels get it, the large cannon fires off a shell into a nearby tailor shop, destroying it completely.  Then the tank moves and crashes into a few things before heading off the fight Gaddafi forces at the edge of the city.  The footage is both tragic and hilarious at the same time.  Everybody in Benghazi loves recalling the scene, because it really highlights how these people became soldiers overnight.  It redefines on the job training.

I have several blog posts and several more on the way, which can be found at: www.180publications.wordpress.com and www.westoftobruk.com

Unfortunately my business partner had to write a few, because my internet connection was so bad.

• 3 years later...

These days seem so distant now :(  Heaviest fighting in Benghazi since the war.  I guess Ansar al Sharia (the group who purportedly killed Ambassador Stevens) has staged an all out offensive.  Conflicting reports from my friends.  But fighting is continuing through the night all around their houses.

And in Tripoli, a serious disaster is unfolding.  The Misrata militias have launched another offensive to take what's left of the airport.

When Gaddafi fell, he shattered into a thousand little Gaddafi's.  Biggest thing that has lead everything into the shitter, though, is the General Congress.  A bunch of extremists and thieves, the lot of them.  I knew everything was fucked when they passed that exclusion law, which barred anyone who had ever had even the smallest government job under Gaddafi from holding any political position.  This move was specifically targeting the moderates, since many had low level technocratic positions.  Same shit that happened in Iraq under Maliki.

It's going to be a sleepless night worrying about all of my friends there...

This is really interesting stuff QuakesMag. What was the Libyan people's (at least in the east) opinion of what General Haftar was doing in taking on Ansar Al Sharia in Benghazi?

What did they think of Ansar Al Sharia?

Nobody trusts Hafter, and for good reason.  But almost everyone supports his operation.  Ansar al Sharia is absolutely despised.  Nobody knows where they are getting their funding, but people suspect the Muslim Brotherhood is involved.  In fact, whenever anything bad happens, people just assume that the Brotherhood is responsible.

They are probably right to be honest! I'd suggest the money is coming from Saudi and the Gulf in general. Salafis love to support Salafis. Saudi, Qatar etc have a lot to answer for with that mess in Iraq and Syria with ISIS too.

Really hope Libya manages to boot out the Islamists because it could be an amazing and prosperous country if it sorts itself out. Obviously, it will have to do something about the power-hungry non-Islamists too.

Salafis are the worst.  They have been on a rampage destroying monuments and tombs of saints in Libya.  When I was living in Benghazi, those believed to be Salafists desecrated both the Commonwealth WWII cemetery and the French one.  All of the graves of Indian Muslims were left untouched though.

This horrified most everyone in Benghazi so much that they were all repaired two weeks later.  And in Tobruk, a bunch of the thugs and hard men went to the Tobruk cemetery, and let everyone know that they will kill anybody who lays one finger on the graves. 

The Salafists tried to destroy some Roman ruins in Sabratha, but the townfolk went nuts and attacked them.  The monuments belong to human civilization, and so these fuckers are attacking all of us by destroying our shared history.

This is how fucked up the world is.  Recently the leader of Ansar al Sharia declared Benghazi an Islamist Caliphate.  You know what the fucker used to do in Gaddafi's time?  He used to change oil in cars.  The Libyan equivalent of a Jiffy Lube worker.  From oil filter changer at Jiffy Lube to Caliph of his own kingdom.  You've made it to the big time, son.

Of course 200,000 Benghazinos told him to fuck off, but it's a start.

Has he not heard there's already another Caliphate in Iraq/Syria? As far as I'm aware you can only have one Caliph at a time and all Muslims are supposed to swear allegiance to that one. Glad he got told to do one. What's this fella's name?