New Xbox..

Clay

Kind of confirmed.. may as well post the little bits of information that will undoubtedly leak over the next 12 months in here :)

New Xbox will be at E3 2012 – report

The Xbox 360's successor will likely debut at E3 2012, with Timesplitters 4 among the titles in development for the new machine, according to a new report.

A "high-ranking" source within developer Crytek let the news slip to VideoGamer. Although the insider didn't confirm system specs, they revealed that the Crysis studio is using DirectX 11 in development.

The source expects Microsoft to unveil and subsequently launch its new machine ahead of Sony, though the studio is also investing resources in PlayStation 4 development.

Crytek is hoping that Timesplitters 4 will be seen as an early visual benchmark for the platform.

First announced by developer Free Radical back in 2007, the FPS sequel was thought to be dead and buried when the studio went into administration in 2009. However, Crytek, who bought up what was left of the Nottingham-based outfit, has seemingly resuscitated the game.

Built using CryEngine 3, it'll apparently focus on branching paths, exploration and sandbox gameplay.

Both Microsoft and Crytek have declined to comment on the story.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

What can the next gen possibly bring in terms of tech? Current PC builds have been pretty slow in regards to tech upgrades. No one really uses DX10, let alone DX11. Can't see them being THAT much more powerful then current gen consoles.

Bit more memory?

Xbox was always going to have to upgrade sooner or later, certainly before PS3, due to the lack of Blu Ray. Already we've started to see games like LA Noire that needed 3 DVDs compared to just 1 BRD.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

But will people really spend another £300 on an xbox just for a Blu-Ray player, and DX11?

I don't know, I'm just not sold on the need for a new gen release yet. Certainly have huge doubts over day 1 purchase.

I think they will.

The Xbox barely copes with framrates of the top games these days man and I think they've pushed it as far as it's going to go.

Aslong as they make it fully backwards compatible I'll have one.

By the way, if it's at E3 next year it'll not be released until 2013.. meaning the 360 will have had a good run and we'll all definitely be ready for new consoles by then.

By the way, if it's at E3 next year it'll not be released until 2013.. meaning the 360 will have had a good run and we'll all definitely be ready for new consoles by then.

Or they could release it straight away, like with the 360S.

I understand where cOCK is coming from, I just think it's hard to see what I'd gain from a new console right now. I'm sure I'd be up for it after a rousing Ballmer speech or something, but right now, I just don't know what it'd offer.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Yep, I'd buy one straight away.

How can you NOT be up for next gen gaming by the way, OCK?

Nothing is tell me its time for an upgrade.

Xbox to 360 was needed, as Xbox games had started to look a little flat compared to PC games, but PC Specs had exploded in those 3/4 years since Xbox release. What's really happened since 360 and PS3 release?

A few DX updates, that not even the PC market uses as standard yet. Maybe if next gen can promise 60FPS at 1080 I'll consider it, but then, is that something I'd want to spend £300 on straight away?

What can the next gen possibly bring in terms of tech? Current PC builds have been pretty slow in regards to tech upgrades. No one really uses DX10, let alone DX11. Can't see them being THAT much more powerful then current gen consoles.

Bit more memory?

Greyer textures! More guns! Bigger Explosions!

Bit more memory?

Even bigger dicks on line.

Bit more memory?

Even bigger dicks on line.

Nah there's no way Mike will pay for this one.

They can already put a fantastic amount of detail and lighting effects into games on this gen, the problem is the game can't keep up when the action ramps up and/or that detail is multiplied. I don't think next gen games will look a massive amount better on the surface, they'll just be able to keep up a consistent framerate and have more going on at once.

This could be the tipping point where XBOX games are moved more towards Kinect control than controller as I can't see them not having it integrated into the next machine.

I'm just wondering if that story I posted elsewhere about EA having the NeXtBOX dev kit a couple of months back as the total bollocks it was claimed to be by both parties.  Judging by the last XBOX release I can see the machine coming out at the back end of 2012.

• 1 month later...

AMD bigging up next gen tech.

Technology company AMD reckons the next Xbox will be so powerful it will be capable of reproducing graphics on a par with James Cameron's movie blockbuster Avatar.

AMD, rumoured to be providing the graphics technology powering the next Xbox, said in the latest issue of the US version of the Official Xbox Magazine (reported by the Examiner) gamers should expect radical improvements to AI and physics.

Director of ISV relationships at AMD, Neal Robison, said the unannounced console will allow developers to make every pedestrian in a game such as Grand Theft Auto or Saints Row have a totally individual mentality so they react to the player in different ways.

Crowds will reportedly act as individuals rather than predictable mobs.

The Xbox 360 uses AMD's ATI Xenos to power its visuals. AMD refused to confirm whether it was working on the next Xbox.

Last month id Software programming legend John Carmack told Eurogamer the next generation of consoles will be ten times as powerful as the current generation.

Before that, Unreal Engine maker Epic Games released a real-time demo called Samaritan, below, it hopes provides a glimpse into the future of home console visuals.

The next Xbox is rumoured to be set for an E3 2012 reveal.

Also epic show off what they believe will run on next gen consoles..

EDIT: Watch in 720p

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Graphics like Avatar  :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

60fps as standard.

True HD experience.

BR Compatible.

Big HDD on release.

That's all I ask.