The "This Group of Lads" Era

oldtype

We now come into the attitude era.

:snod:

Time to kick ass.

Stone Cold Steve Stone will sort them out.

I hold a lot of hope over this new stable we have known as 'La Résistance' - f*** the English man.

Tioté can lead the Nation of Domination, no one will get past him in the middle like. D'Lo Simpson at right. Shola Kamaobi up front.

And Cactus Coloccini, battering strikers the world over. Bang Bang!

Raylor can take the role of Raven.

"What about me , what about Ryan?"

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

We now come into the attitude era.

:snod:

Time to kick ass.

Stone Cold Steve Stone will sort them out.

I hold a lot of hope over this new stable we have known as 'La Résistance' - f*** the English man.

Tioté can lead the Nation of Domination, no one will get past him in the middle like. D'Lo Simpson at right. Shola Kamaobi up front.

And Cactus Coloccini, battering strikers the world over. Bang Bang!

Raylor can take the role of Raven.

"What about me , what about Ryan?"

;D

Nile Ranger as Ranger T - "CAN YOU DIG IT, SUCKA!"

Being a sound group of lads - which they were - doesn't mean you will get unreasonable contracts on the back of it. I think Barton and Nolan just pushed too far. Now we'll find out what Pardew's made of, up to him now to forge a new team spirit with the players left and those coming in.

Being a sound group of lads - which they were - doesn't mean you will get unreasonable contracts on the back of it. I think Barton and Nolan just pushed too far. Now we'll find out what Pardew's made of, up to him now to forge a new team spirit with the players left and those coming in.

Yep. The thing is, they might not have even been asking for something that they couldn't get elsewhere. But the fact is we can't afford certain things now (or at least we're operating like we can't) and we have a clear policy of bringing costs under control.

So at the end of the day it might be basically nobody's fault. WHam can obviously offer Nolan something he's happy with, and a signing on bonus too no doubt.

Sad to see the group being split up, and I am worried it is happening too fast, but some of the circumstances seem unavoidable.

Yep. The thing is, they might not have even been asking for something that they couldn't get elsewhere. But the fact is we can't afford certain things now (or at least we're operating like we can't) and we have a clear policy of bringing costs under control.

So at the end of the day it might be basically nobody's fault. WHam can obviously offer Nolan something he's happy with, and a signing on bonus too no doubt.

Sad to see the group being split up, and I am worried it is happening too fast, but some of the circumstances seem unavoidable.

Much too fast for my liking :harry:

Guest WashyGeordie

Overhauling the squad (if it happens) will be a financial decision not a tactical one.

I understand the 12 month argument regarding Enrique and Barton but Nolan has 2 years to run on his contract - it's not the case that we have to extend the contract or sell.

If we lose Nolan, Barton and Enrique, on top of the Carroll sale, it'll take a lot of money to fill their boots. Replacing half a team in one transfer window is a hell of a task, as is building a team spirit and style of play with the new charges. It'll be exciting to see new faces come through the door, but personally I'm already worried for next season. It should have been about adding flair to the steel and togetherness we already have in the side. This sale has been done to keep the wage bill trim and bring in lower earners from continental leagues, however you look at the successful sides and barring Arsenal a while back you generally need some proven English players in there to compete regularly. You can't have a team of Nolans but you also can't have a team of Ben Arfas. It's about balance.

We do have Tiote, Barton (possibly gone too) Cabaye, Gosling, Guthrie (albeit average) plus maybe another CM (Gardner?) which does balance it out imo.

Aye, Nolan's been sold but surely he didn't have to, he could of easily stayed for atleast another year (rejected the move but he's not) he's picking up wages of about £50-60k with 2 years of his contract left, the club offered him 2 years but he wanted another 3 - which he'll be about 32/33 by then!

For all we know the club could of offered him a possible one year to a 2 year contract or different multiple deals as i don't think it's as simple as FM, and for all we know he could of rejected it again.

Anyway I'm not saying it's Nolan's fault but he's not blameless. Disappointed to say the least but i'll see who we bring in first.

Integral parts of the same 'group of lads' that got us relegated. Same ones would all have jumped ship had someone been daft enough to buy the 'spoilt goods'

Fuck all this loyalty business - they stayed with us in the Championship because they were on such massive wages that no other Club would touch them.

What do Nolan and Barton* think gives them the right to berate the manager and owner (who pay their inflated wages) and think it will go unpunished.

*Absolute bellend using twitter to engineer his own move.

"I have a great working relationship with the manager and a lot of the other players, obviously the other senior players who have been through the ups and downs - the likes of myself, Kevin Nolan, Stevie Harper, Smudger (Alan Smith)

- Barton

Just confirms what I said before. The group of lads is centred round the British players, and tbf they've done a good job. But it reminds me of what happened when Arsenal and Chelsea started buying foreign players, there were lots of similar noises from the British players who got sidelined. Unfortunately we haven't got the money to spend on players like Henderson and Jones. or even if we have I wouldn't back it.

It reminds me a bit of the old story of the team celebrating in the dressing room after winning a trophy. The Chairman pokes his head around the door and says, 'Well done, lads. Now I'll be able to buy some really good players'.

Basically, the group of lads have made themselves redundant. They deserve our appreciation for their efforts and achievements, but at the end of the day they are professional sportsmen who are extremely well paid, and protected by contracts. The club doesn't have to act like it's a charity.

Was nice while it lasted. Rare to have characters in the team that are so universally liked, especially given that the bulk of them contributed directly to our relegation. Still, Alez les noire et blancs n all that.

This team and Sir Bobby's team are my favourite Newcastle sides. Its awful seeing it split up, especially when its just for the sake of it. It was nice to be proud of the team and genuinely like the players, but oh well, back to normal again now.

This team and Sir Bobby's team are my favourite Newcastle sides. Its awful seeing it split up, especially when its just for the sake of it. It was nice to be proud of the team and genuinely like the players, but oh well, back to normal again now.

Nice post :)

"I have a great working relationship with the manager and a lot of the other players, obviously the other senior players who have been through the ups and downs - the likes of myself, Kevin Nolan, Stevie Harper, Smudger (Alan Smith)

- Barton

Just confirms what I said before. The group of lads is centred round the British players, and tbf they've done a good job. But it reminds me of what happened when Arsenal and Chelsea started buying foreign players, there were lots of similar noises from the British players who got sidelined. Unfortunately we haven't got the money to spend on players like Henderson and Jones. or even if we have I wouldn't back it.

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning fuck all for six years isn't it?

Funny how Alex Ferguson packs his squad with British squad players for that very reason isn't it?

Guest guinness_fiend

It's not the Mighty Ducks for f*** sake, we got promoted with the best and most expensive squad the championship has ever seen. :lol:

Best. Comment. Ever.

:lol:

:thup:

Guest Mantis

I feel as though people underestimate how important spirit is.

Exactly. As long as we have some young moody french players some people seem happy to forget leadership.  Any powerbase at this club will be split up, i.e. Level 7, senior players committee and even Hughton becoming too popular.  still, looking fwd to £45m being spent this summer.

I feel as though people underestimate how important spirit is.

Not at all, man. I'm fairly laying into them right now as we speak.

http://www.whereandnow.com/media/images/stories/cafe%20kick%20spirit%20bottles.JPG

Don't blame me. The level of mongitudinal histrionics in this and other threads has driven me to it.

I enjoyed seeing this group of lads win the Championship although it would have been a disgrace if they hadn't. They then finished 12th in the Premiership first season back - job done. But there is no room for sentimentality in deciding who stays and who goes in football squads. You have to move on and every successful club pulls the trigger on popular players when it feels the time is right. I'll freely admit at this stage that  I have no idea whether the squad we end up with after this window will be better than the one we had last season, but sentimentality over an expensive squad that was relegated, then promoted and then stayed up is misplaced imo. 

I enjoyed seeing this group of lads win the Championship although it would have been a disgrace if they hadn't. They then finished 12th in the Premiership first season back - job done. But there is no room for sentimentality in deciding who stays and who goes in football squads. You have to move on and every successful club pulls the trigger on popular players when it feels the time is right. I'll freely admit at this stage that  I have no idea whether the squad we end up with after this window will be better than the one we had last season, but sentimentality over an expensive squad that was relegated, then promoted and then stayed up is misplaced imo. 

Yes, tend to agree. Think I will reserve judgement on all of this for a few more weeks to see what else transpires in the transfer market. No point crying out that the sky is falling in if it's actually just an acorn hitting our head.

- Barton

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning fuck all for six years isn't it?

Funny how Alex Ferguson packs his squad with British squad players for that very reason isn't it?

Baffling that England don't win the World Cup every time then since every English player is a warrior and a hero and all foriegners are useless, bottling cunts.  Xenophobic nonsense.

Man Utd won the league this season and only 1 Englishman was a regular starter.