The "This Group of Lads" Era

oldtype

Overly sentimental thread.

If we get a new group in and they have a good season next year, and play a more exciting brand of football. No one will remember these guys.

If we get a new group in and they have a good season next year, and play a more exciting brand of football. No one will remember these guys.

These players and that manager have to be remembered for very long, though.

Without them, we might would hope that our captain and playmaker - Alan Smith - would stay at this club to lead us back into the Championship at this moment of time.

I feel as though people underestimate how important spirit is.

Not at all, man. I'm fairly laying into them right now as we speak.

http://www.whereandnow.com/media/images/stories/cafe%20kick%20spirit%20bottles.JPG

Don't blame me. The level of mongitudinal histrionics in this and other threads has driven me to it.

:lol:

These players and that manager have to be remembered for very long, though.

Without them, we might would hope that our captain and playmaker - Alan Smith - would stay at this club to lead us back into the Championship at this moment of time.

that group of lads were the best and most expensive squad the chamionship will see in a long time. someone wanted shooting if we didn't come up. i even backed us with all i had left in my bluesquare account at the time.

I was slammed for saying I didn't want to replace Jonas because that was 'sentimental nonsense' or something like that.

I admire Nolan and the other lads for how they pulled themselves together (after performing horribly the previous season) to get us back up. But that doesn't mean they should never be moved on.

It seems we are looking into the background and attitude of players before signing them now, so hopefully the impact of the current core leaving might be lessened.

I was slammed for saying I didn't want to replace Jonas because that was 'sentimental nonsense' or something like that.

I admire Nolan and the other lads for how they pulled themselves together (after performing horribly the previous season) to get us back up. But that doesn't mean they should never be moved on.

It seems we are looking into the background and attitude of players before signing them now, so hopefully the impact of the current core leaving might be lessened.

i've been questioning jonas since about new year.

Well...unless you're fluent in Spanish, I doubt you'll have made much progress on that.

Fair enough, that wasn't really my point. It was that it seems to be OK to be sentimentally attached to certain players and not others.

There are plenty of footballing arguments for replacing Jonas, but then there are for Nolan too.

Well...unless you're fluent in Spanish, I doubt you'll have made much progress on that.

i can say,toilet,kiss, the bill and beer in spanish. what else do i need to know ?

"I have a great working relationship with the manager and a lot of the other players, obviously the other senior players who have been through the ups and downs - the likes of myself, Kevin Nolan, Stevie Harper, Smudger (Alan Smith)

- Barton

Just confirms what I said before. The group of lads is centred round the British players, and tbf they've done a good job. But it reminds me of what happened when Arsenal and Chelsea started buying foreign players, there were lots of similar noises from the British players who got sidelined. Unfortunately we haven't got the money to spend on players like Henderson and Jones. or even if we have I wouldn't back it.

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning f*** all for six years isn't it?

Funny how Alex Ferguson packs his squad with British squad players for that very reason isn't it?

Baffling that England don't win the World Cup every time then since every English player is a warrior and a hero and all foriegners are useless, bottling c***s.  Xenophobic nonsense.

Man Utd won the league this season and only 1 Englishman was a regular starter.

pretty sure he said British and not English like, it is a hard mistake to make like, what with the rest of Britain been a s*** hole and that.

"I have a great working relationship with the manager and a lot of the other players, obviously the other senior players who have been through the ups and downs - the likes of myself, Kevin Nolan, Stevie Harper, Smudger (Alan Smith)

- Barton

Just confirms what I said before. The group of lads is centred round the British players, and tbf they've done a good job. But it reminds me of what happened when Arsenal and Chelsea started buying foreign players, there were lots of similar noises from the British players who got sidelined. Unfortunately we haven't got the money to spend on players like Henderson and Jones. or even if we have I wouldn't back it.

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning fuck all for six years isn't it?

Funny how Alex Ferguson packs his squad with British squad players for that very reason isn't it?

I'm sure Arsenal fans would love to go back to the side that Bruce Rioch left them.

- Barton

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning fuck all for six years isn't it?

I'm sure Arsenal fans would love to go back to the side that Bruce Rioch left them.

They wish their squad had some leadership if that's what your straw man is trying to say.

Keeping Jonas is 10x more important than Nolan. (with the squad as it currently is...)

Why? He's shit and contributes nowt in terms of goals or assists. Ben Arfa and Ferguson can play in his position. He is on MASSIVE wages, if he's not playing we surely can't keep someone on that salary on the bench. He would attract a fee.

i can say,toilet,kiss, the bill and beer in spanish. what else do i need to know ?

Knowing the Spanish for toilet kiss is essential for a decent night out in any Spanish city imo.

Liking Jonas is not cool Ian man. Have you not learnt that yet?

Fuck that!

:jonas:

Why would anybody like and get sentimental over a footballer? ???

Sad cunts.

Agreed.

- Barton

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning f*** all for six years isn't it?

Baffling that England don't win the World Cup every time then since every English player is a warrior and a hero and all foriegners are useless, bottling c***s.  Xenophobic nonsense.

Man Utd won the league this season and only 1 Englishman was a regular starter.

pretty sure he said British and not English like, it is a hard mistake to make like, what with the rest of Britain been a s*** hole and that.

Arsenal went the season unbeaten with just 2.

Having a core group of fluent English speaking players would obviosly be helpful to a squad like, they don't even have to be British. American, Irish, Australian etc who can connect on a similar wavelength. Having a massive hodgepodge of languages across the entire squad cannot be helpful for obvios reasons.

- Barton

They wish their squad had some leadership if that's what your straw man is trying to say.

Well straw men tend to pick the points they want and ignore the rest of the message. When I pointed out that Barton had only mentioned the British players in his "team spirit" quote it sort of showed that he's part of a clique himself. Nothing wrong with that, I'm sure the spanish speaking trio are closer and the same will happen when the french legion arrives. There's no reason there still can't be a team spirit it just won't be exclusively British origin.