The "This Group of Lads" Era

oldtype

"I have a great working relationship with the manager and a lot of the other players, obviously the other senior players who have been through the ups and downs - the likes of myself, Kevin Nolan, Stevie Harper, Smudger (Alan Smith)

- Barton

Just confirms what I said before. The group of lads is centred round the British players, and tbf they've done a good job. But it reminds me of what happened when Arsenal and Chelsea started buying foreign players, there were lots of similar noises from the British players who got sidelined. Unfortunately we haven't got the money to spend on players like Henderson and Jones. or even if we have I wouldn't back it.

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning f*** all for six years isn't it?

Funny how Alex Ferguson packs his squad with British squad players for that very reason isn't it?

Baffling that England don't win the World Cup every time then since every English player is a warrior and a hero and all foriegners are useless, bottling c***s.  Xenophobic nonsense.

Man Utd won the league this season and only 1 Englishman was a regular starter.

pretty sure he said British and not English like, it is a hard mistake to make like, what with the rest of Britain been a s*** hole and that.

Arsenal went the season unbeaten with just 2.

I'm not saying a squad has to be packed with english players to succeed, but thats factualy incorrect anyway.

"I have a great working relationship with the manager and a lot of the other players, obviously the other senior players who have been through the ups and downs - the likes of myself, Kevin Nolan, Stevie Harper, Smudger (Alan Smith)

- Barton

Just confirms what I said before. The group of lads is centred round the British players, and tbf they've done a good job. But it reminds me of what happened when Arsenal and Chelsea started buying foreign players, there were lots of similar noises from the British players who got sidelined. Unfortunately we haven't got the money to spend on players like Henderson and Jones. or even if we have I wouldn't back it.

Funny how Arsenal putting their experience out to pasture has coincided with winning f*** all for six years isn't it?

Funny how Alex Ferguson packs his squad with British squad players for that very reason isn't it?

Baffling that England don't win the World Cup every time then since every English player is a warrior and a hero and all foriegners are useless, bottling c***s.  Xenophobic nonsense.

pretty sure he said British and not English like, it is a hard mistake to make like, what with the rest of Britain been a s*** hole and that.

I'm not saying a squad has to be packed with english players to succeed, but thats factualy incorrect anyway.

Their typical line-up was

Lehmann

Lauren

Cole

Campbell

Toure

Pires

Ljungberg

Vieira

Gilberto

Bergkamp

Henry

We had a good, mostly English team under SBR. The key though is they were all young, hungry and mobile. To buy those players these days is virtually impossible for a club like us. We are even getting quoted £20million for Shane Long ffs.

- Barton

Baffling that England don't win the World Cup every time then since every English player is a warrior and a hero and all foriegners are useless, bottling c***s.  Xenophobic nonsense.

Their typical line-up was

Lehmann

Lauren

Cole

Campbell

Toure

Pires

Ljungberg

Vieira

Gilberto

Bergkamp

Henry

Regardless of there typical line-up there was more English players in the squad which was the point I think (including Parlor and Keown who would fit the "lads" description). I dont entirely agree with it anyway, but having a core of players with good craic who all speak the same language can only be good

It's not about being English, it's about leadership and willingness to fight for the cause. Fairly obviously.

You've got to be on the pitch to lead, and if Cabaye is starting next season Nolan wouldn't be. That's fairly obvious as well.

I was slammed for saying I didn't want to replace Jonas because that was 'sentimental nonsense' or something like that.

I admire Nolan and the other lads for how they pulled themselves together (after performing horribly the previous season) to get us back up. But that doesn't mean they should never be moved on.

It seems we are looking into the background and attitude of players before signing them now, so hopefully the impact of the current core leaving might be lessened.

I guess they have the memories of goldfish then, as do a few others on here it seems

I think he might be heading the way of Bernard... talks himself up then ends up at an average club and derails his whole career.

I wouldn't shed a tear.

I liked him for the most part, but he became a reet pain in the arse. Relieved to know he's someone else's issue now.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,59773.0.html

:iamatwat:

I was slammed for saying I didn't want to replace Jonas because that was 'sentimental nonsense' or something like that.

I admire Nolan and the other lads for how they pulled themselves together (after performing horribly the previous season) to get us back up. But that doesn't mean they should never be moved on.

It seems we are looking into the background and attitude of players before signing them now, so hopefully the impact of the current core leaving might be lessened.

I guess they have the memories of goldfish then, as do a few others on here it seems

I think he might be heading the way of Bernard... talks himself up then ends up at an average club and derails his whole career.

I wouldn't shed a tear.

I liked him for the most part, but he became a reet pain in the arse. Relieved to know he's someone else's issue now.

Are you saying the club don't have a pretty shit hot idea on the 'background and attitude' of Charles N'Zogbia?

Really?

/not that we have said we are chasing him in the first place mind.

I wouldn't shed a tear.

Are you saying the club dont have a pretty shit hot idea on the background and attitude of Charles N'Zogbia? Really?

/not that we have said we are chasing him in the first place mind.

//:ilaughlikeajapanesegirl:

I'll spell it out then.

The club know exactly what the background and attitude of Charles N'Zogbia is, and it's the antithesis of what is being talked about in this thread.

/Pardew said we inquired about him in January. Is he a liar? Was he lying in that instance?

Man UV, what was the point in that? Well done for looking so hard for my posts though.

Is it not allowed to have a different opinion two years later, when the circumstances and player might have significantly changed?

Going by some of the posts in the Nolan thread, no.

Man UV, what was the point in that? Well done for looking so hard for my posts though.

Is it not allowed to have a different opinion two years later, when the circumstances and player might have significantly changed?

No it isn't. UV has a library of posts which he's bookmarked and filed away for future reference.

What is the point of the internet if you can't put such diligent cyber-plotting to good use?  :evil5:

They haven't though have they, if we're being honest?

N'Zogbia's still as much of a petulant tit as he's always been, since the discussion is about character. I say that as Charlie's biggest fan.

They haven't though have they, if we're being honest?

N'Zogbia's still as much of a petulant tit as he's always been, since the discussion is about character. I say that as Charlie's biggest fan.

Well I don't really know enough detail to be sure, but I don't know of any recent stupid outbursts. Obviously if there are some I stand corrected - UV can search the internet for them.

Also we're in a slightly different position now, and so is Zog. He has expressed the fact that he still has affection for the city and the club, and we would really benefit from a player of his ability right now.

This is a bit closer actually:

http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=513

Yeah, that's a smile, must have seen a sack of dead kittens or something.

Guest neesy111

I never believe a word that comes out a players mouth, Nolan and Barton have tried to play the fans in all of this so for when it came to contract negoitation time they would use their card to get this kind of reaction and many on here and many NUFC are so fucking gulliable to see it.

No it isn't. UV has a library of posts which he's bookmarked and filed away for future reference.

What is the point of the internet if you can't put such diligent cyber-plotting to good use?  :evil5:

On the one hand Ian I'm honoured that you're so impressed by my internet skills, on the other it's a bit worrying that you think putting "Zogbia" into a search query is advanced stuff. Not surprised that its a bit like witchcraft for Tron like.

My memory's shit, but it's easy enough to remember the repeated petulance and moodiness of N'Zogbia, and the almost universal reactions on here when N'Zogbia left as shame to lose a decent player on his (infrequent) day, but good riddance to a bad influence in the dressing room. Which is why it's so surprising to see so many of the same people frothing about possibly getting him back and completely blanking the issues we had with him throughout his time here before. Seeing you go on about how we now look into the character of players Ian (Ben Arfa is another example of solid down to earth type who never causes trouble I guess :rolleyes:) is laughable.

What is the point of the internet if you can't put such diligent cyber-plotting to good use?  :evil5:

On the one hand Ian I'm honoured that you're so impressed by my internet skills, on the other it's a bit worrying that you think putting "Zogbia" into a search query is advanced stuff. Not surprised that its a bit like witchcraft for Tron like.

My memory's shit, but it's easy enough to remember the repeated petulance and moodiness of N'Zogbia, and the almost universal reactions on here when N'Zogbia left as shame to lose a decent player on his (infrequent) day, but good riddance to a bad influence in the dressing room. Which is why it's so surprising to see so many of the same people frothing about possibly getting him back and completely blanking the issues we had with him throughout his time here before. Seeing you go on about how we now look into the character of players Ian (Ben Arfa is another example of solid down to earth type who never causes trouble I guess :rolleyes:) is laughable.

I don't really disagree with you, I just think circumstances are different enough for it to be worth taking a risk now. He would massively improve our squad, he's older and hopefully a bit more mature, his ability is now equal to his attitude. He's a much better player than in 2009.

I never argued we should only sign angels, but I do see signs we are signing players who actually want to be here. Ben Arfa was keen to come and has behaved perfectly since arriving, and Cabaye also seems to be making the right noises.

It would just never occur to me to go rooting for someone's posts from two years ago to make a tenuous point, that's all.

Each to their own. I'm sure you'd be happy with a team of Smiths, Nolans, Butts, Ryan Taylors etc. No doubt they'd be a good set of lads. Personally I would prefer to move on from the Joe Kinnear era and would be delighted if Nolan is replaced by N'Zogbia.