do officials have Sky in their room?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Guest Invicta_Toon

can't help but wonder that Sib was offside for his goal, but the official decided to let it go as he'd seen the first was on

Guest Invicta_Toon

Offside in the first phase, but didn't touch the ball. Onside for the second phase.

I think.

no he's offside when he becomes active

there were no phases there

Offside in the first phase, but didn't touch the ball. Onside for the second phase.

I think.

That's what I'd have said, surely each pass represents a separate piece of play and if you're not affecting play at that time that shouldn't affect the next.

I think.

true. but if the player not run to the ball or not effects the game it´s no offside. when zog played the ball he was onside and the goal was correct!

I think.

Of course there were phases! He was in an offside position, but the ball went to N'Zogbia. As soon as N'Zogbia gets the ball, the next pass made is the next phase, and in this instance, Sibierski was onside.

Was the same a couple of years ago at Anfield when Kluivert scored. The media kicked up a big fuss saying Kluivert was gaining an unfair advantage but he was perfectly within the laws to score that goal. He was 5-yards offside but the ball went to Bowyer who was onside, the ball was pulled back, Kluivert tapped into an empty net and it was rightly allowed.

Guest sittingontheball

You could see Zoggy rightly get frustrated when he was onside as a pass came and the offside Martins went and touched it. Had Martins left it, the Zog was in.

The rule is there to be exploited in my opinion. It's very easy to confuse the officials now. If they want more goals for the fans, they should unofficially give the forward the benefit of the doubt (even just stop disallowing fine goals like Martin's finish today), or put a line on the pitch at 18, 30, or 35 yards and play no offsides to that. Making the rules more complex is not good for football.  It's a great sport because its so simple.