Paris

QBG

Going in early August with my lass, anyone been before, have any good places to go besides the obvious ones? Any bars, restaurants you would recommend? Any help would be appreciated  :aww:

Going in early August with my lass, anyone been before, have any good places to go besides the obvious ones? Any bars, restaurants you would recommend? Any help would be appreciated  :aww:

I'll have a look of my snaps from 2007 mate and I'll recommend a few bars and nice places to eat for you. I'm at work at the moment, but i'll sort you out when I get back.

Nice place like. Canny French though.

What a pity ChezGiven doesn't post on here anymore... :weep:

Anyway, I went there on honeymoon last year and got a lot of very sound advice from CG. Will try and dig it out from my PMs. O0

Still looking for it. :dontknow:

Meantime: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,57578.msg1562382/topicseen.html#msg1562382

EDIT: Nah, just scroll down til you see CG's post that Shak pasted in there. That should keep you right. Only other thing I'd say is take a trip out to Versailles if you can. O0

Cracking stuff, I'll have a look at that. Any more recommendations welcome :thup:

rue oberkampf has some good bars ive visited, cafe charbon one was called, has beers, cheap wines and stays open late, and you can get things like cheese board or main meals, and funnily enough they do great burgers. try to get one of the cozy booths in the middle of the room. also deux amis which is a tapas style place, quite small, bustling, informal. really good food which is quite cheap as well.

where exactly are you staying?

How safe is Paris? My mates sister went over with her boyfriend and was nearly gang raped in broad daylight. I know it's probably a really rare occurance but I've always thought of it being a bit dodgy after that.

How safe is Paris? My mates sister went over with her boyfriend and was nearly gang raped in broad daylight. I know it's probably a really rare occurance but I've always thought of it being a bit dodgy after that.

Where was this? Gang-raped in the middle of the day?

Luckily she wasn't raped as he managed to fend them off but it was Paris. Going back over 10 years though.

Luckily she wasn't raped as he managed to fend them off but it was Paris. Going back over 10 years though.

She must've been somewhere well shady.

That could happen in any random place you'd care to mention. Were they in a rough neighbourhood on the outskirts?

rue oberkampf has some good bars ive visited, cafe charbon one was called, has beers, cheap wines and stays open late, and you can get things like cheese board or main meals, and funnily enough they do great burgers. try to get one of the cozy booths in the middle of the room. also deux amis which is a tapas style place, quite small, bustling, informal. really good food which is quite cheap as well.

I live in Paris, where are you staying?

Haven't booked it as yet. Booking it through a friend but I'm staying fairly central I believe.

That could happen in any random place you'd care to mention. Were they in a rough neighbourhood on the outskirts?

Not sure mate, they might have been.

Guess you're right and it could happen anywhere but it's always the first thing that springs to my mind when it's mentioned and I've flat out refused when my lass has suggested going. She'd love to go n arl but I guess I'm overly paranoid because of that.

Guest icemanblue

Going in July, with my lass. Going to try out that steak and chips place that CG recommended a while back.

I live in Paris, where are you staying?

Haven't booked it as yet. Booking it through a friend but I'm staying fairly central I believe.

The 6th and 7th are my favourite districts and particularly the 6th is a good place to go. One thing I would highly recommend are the rental bikes 'velibs'. There are stations all over the city and as long as you park within every 30 minutes you don't pay any more than the initial fee. Also, car drivers are heavily prosecuted if they hit a cyclist so they give you quite a lot of room, except around the arc de triomphe! Paris is really safe at night with it's big roads, so I would suggest having a wander by the river etc when the other tourists have gone home. The dodgy areas later on are up around gare du nord/ pigalle so I would avoid being out there too late but they can also be slightly bad for muggings in the day. Also with muggings in mind watch out for the gypsy kids, they are exceptionally good at nicking stuff by diverting your attention.

Great advice :) Would definitely love to take a walk by the river.

Guest icemanblue

Going in July, with my lass. Going to try out that steak and chips place that CG recommended a while back.

I wouldn't really recommend the steak in France unless it is the raw stuff which is nice.

I've had some canny steaks in France before, like. This is supposed to be 'the best', so I'll give it deeks, cheers.

I wouldn't really recommend the steak in France unless it is the raw stuff which is nice.

Ignore this fool.

Relais de l'Entrecote is great in an old school sort of way. Go early about 6ish if you want to avoid the queues.

Oh and have the Irish coffee afterwards...Whoo! Fuck me it's strong! :lol:

Rather than going on the Metro all of the time, they do boat tours along the Seine - where you can jump on and off.

Main stopping points are Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, Lourve etc

• 4 weeks later...

In need of some advice from anyone that's lived in Paris. I'm going to start working there in early September, I've been looking around agents for rented accomodation and as expected, it's very expensive. I'm going to be working in the 3rd arrondissement, so am basically looking for anywhere that's safe and affordable but somewhere that's also in close proxmity to where i'll be working. All I've heard so far is that the 17th is a good place to live in terms of safety and isn't as pricey as the more central areas. If anyone could recommend areas to live in or give a good contact for accomodation, that would be a great help!