iTunes: distortion on playback

GM

A few months ago, I dropped my iPod. A few days after that, I deleted all my iTunes in a tragi-comic moment of IT stupidity. So since November, I've been without my iTunes collection, but I resolved to sort that out during the Xmas sales and bought myself a new iPod Classic, with the intention of uploading every last one of my CDs onto a new PC that I'd bought, i.e. starting from scratch. It's a ball-ache, but it's gotta be done... and I'm making slow progress with it.

Trouble is...some of the CD's I'm putting just won't rip to iTunes properly and (a) take an age to rip (b) once they've ripped they're just really badly distorted on playback. It's not happening with all my CDs just a selected few (say about 5% of them so far). Completely at a loss what's going on - thought perhaps there might be someone on here who knows what's going on with this and may be able to offer some help?

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the CDs themselves are not 100% okay. Tried cleaning them?

It's the most likely explanation: iTunes uses error correction by default, so it will try to re-read bits of the CD it has problems with (hence the slowness), and unreadable CDs explains the total failure to rip some CDs.

It could also be that the CD drive is nearly knackered, but cleaning CDs is the simplest thing to do, and therefore the first thing you should try.

(Sure, a CD might play just fine in your CD player, but computer drives are a lot more sensitive because they read data: missing a beat or two of a music track is not a massive problem, but missing a few KB of a data file means a useless file.)

Sounds like the CDs themselves are not 100% okay. Tried cleaning them?

It's the most likely explanation: iTunes uses error correction by default, so it will try to re-read bits of the CD it has problems with (hence the slowness), and unreadable CDs explains the total failure to rip some CDs.

It could also be that the CD drive is nearly knackered, but cleaning CDs is the simplest thing to do, and therefore the first thing you should try.

(Sure, a CD might play just fine in your CD player, but computer drives are a lot more sensitive because they read data: missing a beat or two of a music track is not a massive problem, but missing a few KB of a data file means a useless file.)

It's happening with some brand new CDs though so I don't see how it could be down to 'dirty' CDs? And it's also seemingly random which CDs it does and doesn't burn OK. If it was the CD drive, I'd be a bit hacked off, as it's all integrated into the back of the monitor along with everything else on this model, which would mean sending the whole thing away for repair. Still, suppose I'd better check when the warranty expires. :rolleyes:

Cheers anyway for the advice wacko. :thup: