Blaise Matuidi

Skeletor

Been linked quite a bit recently. About time he had his own thread I think.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/06/20/yohan-cabaye-french-influx-will-boost-nufc-72703-28907590/#ixzz1Pod6Klfj

And, with United having made contact with Saint Etienne over their all-action midfielder Blaise Matuidi, it is clear the chase for French talent is not over yet.

Pardew is considering a complete change of approach and believes the injection of Gallic flair will add pace and greater creativity to their midfield mix.

Where is he supposed to play? Let's not go all Liverpoolish about signing players and not think about where to play them. For me, a midfield triangle with Cabaye-Tioté sitting behind Ben Arfa in a free role is good enough. Surely Matuidi would mean Ben Arfa moving to a wide role and Cabaye being pushed further up the pitch. I'd rather we spent this kind of money on a really good striker instead of getting Erdinc for £8-10m.

Guest WashyGeordie

I thought we actually had a bid accepted or something when i first read/opened the thread! bastard.

aye the more i think about this the more i think he'll want 2 hard bastards in the middle to back up the sexy and potentially flimsy front line we're assembling

cabaye is apparently a hard-working box-to-boxer so tiote+ new CM/DM, cabaye licence to get up and down and the other 3 work their magic

These French guys have got to be on lower wages if we can afford to fit them all into the squad.  I'm all for it as we need quality depth.  My only other concern would be for some of our younger players like Ferguson and Vuckic and if we can get them on the pitch, too.

I thought we actually had a bid accepted or something when i first read/opened the thread! bastard.

Same here. I'll check back when there's some sign that this is more likely to happen. The valuations are still miles apart at this point.