Freedom of speech? (Sectarian related)

k2

Take a Liberty ( Scotland ) has launched a campaign against Alex Salmond’s proposed new ‘anti-sectarian’ laws.

A statement and petition (see below) is being circulated around the UK to challenge what Stuart Waiton, from Take a Liberty (Scotland), believes is, ‘an almost unbelievably reactionary and authoritarian proposal’, being put forward by the Scottish government.

The statement reads,

We believe that introducing a law to imprison people for up to five years because of offensive sectarian chanting or online comments is extreme and illiberal.

It can be located via Take a Liberty (Scotland) http://www.takealiberty.blogspot.com/

Please sign the petition, feel free to facebook it or pass it on to friends, fanzines etc etc.

If you have any ideas about how I could promote this further let me know.

Kirk

Keefaz, think back, remember those lads who were arrested, fined heavily and lost their season tickets for singing about Mido at the Boro, fans north and south of the border are being told what we can and can't sing or chant. A five year ban in prison in Scotland awaits those who don’t follow the rules, we all have an interest in opposing this.

Guest Craig-NUFC

Just an idea, but why don't people just stop the offensive sectarian chanting and online comments? That way no one goes to jail. Win win imo.

Guest guinness_fiend

Just an idea, but why don't people just stop the offensive sectarian chanting and online comments? That way no one goes to jail. Win win imo.

This.

Did you think the chants aimed at Mido were racist? I have heard Liverpool fans complain that songs about them and hub caps and 'dipping' are racist, are they?

Did you think the chants aimed at Mido were racist? I have heard Liverpool fans complain that songs about them and hub caps and 'dipping' are racist, are they?

Is that a 'yes' or a 'no'? ???

Is that a 'yes' or a 'no'? ???

Obviously a yes.

Guest guinness_fiend
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Bydq7ft6Jhc/TF7909g-mnI/AAAAAAAAADk/fzKKdKJ6F78/s320/trollface.gif

That's the point, if we don't support free speech then all speech is subject to constraint. We should not allow the authorities to tell us what we can sing at football games, if it comes down to 'it's offensive' then any thing can be stopped, because any and every chant is going to offend someone.

Guest guinness_fiend
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Bydq7ft6Jhc/TF7909g-mnI/AAAAAAAAADk/fzKKdKJ6F78/s320/trollface.gif

That's the point, if we don't support free speech then all speech is subject to constraint. We should not allow the authorities to tell us what we can sing at football games, if it comes down to 'it's offensive' then any thing can be stopped, because any and every chant is going to offend someone.

Are you in favour of sectarian chants? [/paxman]

Are you in favour of sectarian chants? [/paxman]

Surely k2 can't be Michael Howard? :lol:

Guest guinness_fiend

Simple, don't do it and get a f***ing grip it's not the dark ages.

F*** off, fluff face.  The red kind isn't welcome here.

The legislation has been criticised by some parties as being too rushed ad poorly conceived. But other than legislate, what else do you think the Scottish Government should do about sectarianism? Turn a blind eye? Just ignore it?

I'm sure it's the vast minority that actually racially abuse people at football matches nowadays. Furthermore, I'm sure 90% of people are totally against racist chanting in the UK. On the other hand, this is only the beginning. If this law is introduced, it will be pushed on to the next thing and the next, and eventually all fun will be sucked out of match day atmospheres. If you go to the football you expect to hear a certain level of bad language and/or abuse. If you don't like it don't go in my opinion. Most grounds are self policed anyways, and if people feel someone is going overboard they will be told by 'their own'.