Advice required regarding new PC (my old one has just blown up!)

Guest guinness_fiend

Guest guinness_fiend

Evening all

My trusty old (and fairly powerful) PC has just blown up, after seven years of service.  I'm fairly sure that it's just the power pack that's gone, but given the age of the machine, it may be time to replace it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm planning on moving house in October and will buy a monster of a media-centric machine then.  In the meantime, if anyone can recommend a dirt cheap bargain of a machine to keep me going in the meantime, I'd be much obliged.

Ta!

Guest neesy111

Evening all

My trusty old (and fairly powerful) PC has just blown up, after seven years of service.  I'm fairly sure that it's just the power pack that's gone, but given the age of the machine, it may be time to replace it.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'm planning on moving house in October and will buy a monster of a media-centric machine then.  In the meantime, if anyone can recommend a dirt cheap bargain of a machine to keep me going in the meantime, I'd be much obliged.

Ta!

If I was back in the UK I would have sold you mine.  How much is dirt cheap your looking for?

Guest guinness_fiend

Preferably around the £200-£300 mark, so as not to dent my account too much. 

I'm half-tempted to take the PC into a local shop and pay for a replacement power pack and labour.

Guest neesy111

Preferably around the £200-£300 mark, so as not to dent my account too much. 

I'm half-tempted to take the PC into a local shop and pay for a replacement power pack and labour.

Ahh, if I was back I could easily build you a decent one which you could upgrade for £200.  Be easily be able to get a decent entry mark one for £250 from a local computer shop.

Guest guinness_fiend

Update: £30 for a half-decent power supply and I'm back in business!

(cheers for the advice anyway, Neesy)

Guest neesy111

Update: £30 for a half-decent power supply and I'm back in business!

(cheers for the advice anyway, Neesy)

Let me know if you want a full-blown PC and I'll be able to either build a custom one or give you some advice about where or where not to buy etc.