London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Thought this deserved its own thread now that this has been confirmed:

Team GB Olympic football deal angers nations

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have reacted angrily to claims that their players could take part in a united Great Britain football team.

The British Olympic Association said a "historic agreement" has been reached with the English Football Association over fielding teams at the 2012 Games.

But a collective statement from the other nations denied this was the case.

"No discussions took place with any of us, far less [has any] historic agreement been reached," it said.

"The Football Associations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland reiterate our collective opposition to Team GB participation at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, contrary to the media release issued by the BOA.

"We have been consistently clear in explaining the reason for our stance, principally to protect the identity of each national association. With that in mind, we cannot support nor formally endorse the approach that has been proposed by the Football Association."

Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan, Football Association of Wales chief executive Jonathan Ford and Irish FA chief executive Patrick Nelson all signed the joint statement.

Welsh FA president Phil Pritchard had earlier claimed: "The [English] FA have no authority to speak on our behalf, they do not represent us."

While on Monday Regan claimed there was "absolutely no appetite" for his players to take part in a joint football team.

The BOA's statement said that there would be a men's team at 2012 and, for the first time, a women's GB side at the Olympics. The FA will have responsibility for nominating the managers, players and support personnel to the BOA for final selection.

It added that all home nations were behind the move to field a GB team made up of players from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales - and had been given assurances that participating at the Games would not damage their individual status.

"The FA has consulted with its partner associations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in developing the player-selection criteria and timeline," read the statement.

"All four associations have received a written assurance from the secretary general of Fifa, the international federation for football, that participation in the 2012 Olympic football tournament will in no way compromise their autonomy and independence for other Fifa-sanctioned tournaments, nor will it have any impact on their positions of leadership within the Fifa governance structure."

The BOA statement went on to detail how the men's squad would be made up, explaining that it would comprise of 18 players - 15 under-23s and three 'open age' players, while there would be no age restrictions upon the women's team.

It added that the process of selecting players would begin later this year, while "an announcement of the managers for both Team GB sides will be made in due course".

A long list of potential players will be drawn up by the managers of the respective teams.

"Players on the long list will be asked to confirm their interest and availability to compete for Team GB, if selected, following discussions with their respective professional clubs and home associations," added the BOA statement.

"The selection criteria will be entirely non-discriminatory, as players from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and other territories which fall under the BOA's remit as an National Olympic Committee."

The last time Britain competed in an Olympic football event was in 1960, when the men's side failed to win a medal in Rome after beating Taiwan 3-2, drawing 1-1 with Italy and losing 4-3 to Brazil.

The statement from the BOA also quoted FA general secretary Alex Horne.

"We're delighted there will be football teams representing Team GB at the London 2012 Olympics," said Horne.

"We are pleased the team will be selected from players across the home nations and I'd like to thank our counterparts at the Welsh, Irish and Scottish FAs for their understanding on a difficult issue."

The second round of ticket sales for the competition will open on Friday, with 1.7m remaining for the two football tournaments.

The first event of the Olympics will be a women's football match at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on 25 July, with speculation suggesting it could involve the GB team.

Analysis

Gordon Farquhar,

BBC sports news correspondent

The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish FAs remain opposed to a GB team, fearing it will damage their autonomy at Fifa, despite repeated re-assurances to the contrary from the world governing body. They had already agreed not to stand in the way of the English FA in putting teams forward. The BOA says Olympic selection criteria must be non-discriminatory, and that the English FA is therefore mandated to pick any player they chose. It will then be up to any players who may be selected from the other home nations to decide if they want to take part, mindful of the determined opposition from their own associations

From NWOAT:

A selection of players (excluding those from England) who are eligible for the Olympics squad as they are under 23 in summer 2012

Grant Hanley, defender, Blackburn and Scotland

Danny Wilson, defender, Liverpool and Scotland

Neil Taylor, defender, Swansea and Wales

Johnny Gorman, midfielder, Wolves and Northern Ireland

Corry Evans, midfielder, Man Utd and Northern Ireland

Oliver Norwood, midfielder, Man Utd and Northern Ireland

Barry Bannan, midfielder, Aston Villa and Scotland

James Forrest, midfielder, Celtic and Scotland

Gareth Bale, midfielder, Spurs and Wales

Joe Allen, midfielder, Swansea and Wales

Aaron Ramsey, midfielder, Arsenal and Wales

Liam Boyce, forward, Werder Bremen and Northern Ireland

Sam Vokes, forward, Wolves and Wales

Actually I've heard that Stuart Pearce might be managing the team......

No doubt Becks will be involved in some capacity.

I've never got the fuss about not fielding a GB team in football. I don't think NI, Wales and Scotland will lose their identity, after the olympics back to normal. I'm Welsh and I have no objection to this I know people at the FA have fears about a GB team. Rugby actually embrace the concept, I love the Lions Tours.

I've never got the fuss about not fielding a GB team in football. I don't think NI, Wales and Scotland will lose their identity, after the olympics back to normal. I'm Welsh and I have no objection to this I know people at the FA have fears about a GB team. Rugby actually embrace the concept, I love the Lions Tours.

Same here, I honestly don't think that by fielding a GB Team, FIFA will say that, "oh you must field a GB team from now." Load of bulls*** if you ask me. Good point about the Rugby!

You can have 3 over 23's in the squad can't you?

So that's Beckham and two other spots.

You can have 3 over 23's in the squad can't you?

So that's Beckham and two other spots.

:giggs:

as another?

I was hoping it'd just be us and Wales. Including Scotland now means they'll just moan when we leave out all of their players.

Edit: Oh aye, Norn Iron too. No idea who the f*** we'd want from there like.

Maybe Fergie will be offered the managers job to appease but then he'll probably pick a load of Scots. I am looking forward to a GB team. Hopefully the likes of Joe Allen, Ramsey, and Taylor will get a chance to play on a big International stage from a Welsh point of view as its very unlikely they'll get to do that at the Euro or WC!

I was hoping it'd just be us and Wales. Including Scotland now means they'll just moan when we leave out all of their players.

SFA don't want anything to do with it.  They'd probably be happy not to have any of their players picked.

SFA don't want anything to do with it.  They'd probably be happy not to have any of their players picked.

"Argh, glad ya didneh pick any oor players anywee - load ar shite"

Be canny annoyed if Beckham is hoyed in for sentimental or whatever reasons Shows that they're not taking it seriously at all. If they're not playing to win why bother taking part.

No doubt all the GB games will be London a la England at Euro 96 n all.