London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Scotland and Wales seem to be objecting to the fact that theres been an announcement of agreement

Scottish_FA Scottish FA

by philmcnulty

No "historic agreement" on Team GB and no discussions with BOA. Seeking clarification!

and the scots don't want to be part of it full stop

A more updated article:

Britain united for 2012 football

Page last updated at 14:27 GMT, Tuesday, 21 June 2011 15:27 UK

E-mail this to a friend

Printable version

Graphic

Footballers from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England will be available for selection for Team GB at the 2012 Olympics.

There has been opposition to all-British teams competing in London from every home nation apart from England.

But the British Olympic Association said an "historic agreement" has now been reached.

"It has been a long, six-year journey to get to this point," said BOA chief executive Andy Hunt.

However, the BOA announcement has sparked outrage from the Scottish and Welsh FAs.

Scottish Football Association president George Peat told the Press Association: "I am absolutely astounded that they have put out this statement. I know nothing about any such agreement and we want nothing to do with this tournament."

Welsh FA president Phil Pritchard was equally furious, saying the FA had no right to speak on behalf of the other associations on Olympic matters.

Pritchard told the Press Association: "We are not part of any agreement. The FA have no authority to speak on our behalf - they do not represent Wales whatsoever and that's a fact.

"We have not discussed this at any time recently."

The BOA's statement indicated that all home nations were behind the move to field a GB team made up of players from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

"The FA has consulted with its partner associations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in developing the player-selection criteria and timeline," read the statement.

"All four associations have received a written assurance from the secretary general of the Federation Internationale de Football Association (Fifa), the international federation for football, that participation in the 2012 Olympic football tournament will in no way compromise their autonomy and independence for other Fifa-sanctioned tournaments, nor will it have any impact on their positions of leadership within the Fifa governance structure."

The BOA statement went on to detail how the men's squad would be made up, explaining that it would comprise of 18 players - 15 under-23s and three 'open age' players.

It added that the process of selecting players would begin later this year, while "an announcement of the managers for both Team GB sides will be made in due course".

The last time Britain competed in an Olympic football event was in 1960, when the men's side failed to win a medal in Rome after beating Taiwan 3-2, drawing 1-1 with Italy and losing 4-3 to Brazil.

Team GB has never fielded a women's football team at an Olympics.

The statement from the BOA also quoted FA general secretary Alex Horne.

"We're delighted there will be football teams representing Team GB at the London 2012 Olympics," said Horne.

"It's important as the host nation, football plays its part in what is sure to be a fantastic spectacle.

"We are pleased the team will be selected from players across the home nations and I'd like to thank our counterparts at the Welsh, Irish and Scottish FAs for their understanding on a difficult issue."

Pathetic nonsense on this from day one from the SFA and the Welsh.  It would be a great experience for the youth of each nation, but nay, let's get tribal about it.  Yawn.

Shame none of the players from these countries have spoken out about it though, and perhaps that itself suggest even they don't want to be part of it.  No doubt if they did speak out the FA's there would have to consider backing down.

Pathetic nonsense on this from day one from the SFA and the Welsh.  It would be a great experience for the youth of each nation, but nay, let's get tribal about it.  Yawn.

Shame none of the players from these countries have spoken out about it though, and perhaps that itself suggest even they don't want to be part of it.  No doubt if they did speak out the FA's there would have to consider backing down.

Think Bale was saying how he'd like for it to happen the other week.

I remember reading something that the SFA and the Welsh FA "would not being able to stop any Scottish/Welsh players if they decided to play for the GB football team".

Exactly, the SFA can't do shit if their players opt to play from what I've read.

So maybe that's all the historic agreement is, they've agreed not to give a shit what the petty mini-FAs are saying.

I'm embarrased by the Welsh FA. I really hope players like Bale and Ramsey make a stand. The thing is the FA of Wales have the power to ban them. Didn't the Welsh FA overturn a suspension for a Cardiff player for an FA Cup Final a few years ago?

This is petty.

Guest pleno1

omg, heard ruel fox is going to be manager! so random, 144/1 with william hill.

get onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnit.

OI8HIOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

omg, heard ruel fox is going to be manager! so random, 144/1 with william hill.

get onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnit.

OI8HIOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

:wat:

Guest schmuck

I'm guessing there'll be no senior England players due to the Euros? So no Wilshere, Carroll and any other U23 who makes the squad. Also makes Becks being one of the over 23s pretty much a cert.

Aye, England will still leave behind some good players though, not even half of McEachran, Sturridge, Kelly, Smalling, Jones, Rodwell, Albrighton, Welbeck etc will go to the Euro's if we get there. Looking at who's out there from the other 3 nations I don't think England should any of the over 23's if we're taking it seriously. Probably have to be at least 2 from N. Ireland if they're to be decently represented on the pitch and 1 from the other 2, would be fun to see Beckham or someone out there though, mixing it up with the yoof.

FFS Scotland and Wales seriously piss off. Here's a wonderful opportunity for some of your best players to play for an Olympic Gold medal. They'll never get the opportunity to be able to compete for any other international trophy, ever. You are going to deny them that chance and deny the British public the opportunity to witness their own team take part in the Olympics on our soil.

And for what reason exactly ? Because you may lose your independent status, even though FIFA has already assured you that that won't happen. FFS the Faroe Islands, San Marino and Luxemborg have international football teams, they are not going to withdraw your status.

I hope we just still go ahead with putting in a team whether they have the blessing of these stupid FAs or not, personally I think we should be putting in a GB team at every games not just this one. If the scots and welsh win the battle we should get the English Curling association (if there is such a thing) to object to the scottish curling teams we send under the GB flag, deny them the once in a lifetime opportunity to compete for Olympic gold, fucking idiots. 

A lot of the Scotish hate the idea of Britain full stop never mind a British football team.

Don't give a fucking shit. The majority of people from Britian, like Britian and want Britian to have a team to cheer on, no reason at all why we should pander to a vocal minority.