3D TVs

Tooj

Seeing as I'm getting Sky installed, and Sky 3D is a free extra (despite me not having a 3D TV) - would anybody actually recommend making the upgrade? Or should I wait for a bit, for prices to come down and for the actual technology to improve?

Not sure I'd bother tbh. Tried a passive one the other week (where the glasses are just lightweight, non-powered and cheap) and the problems were too obvious for me, even on a demo video. You had to be staring straight at the screen horizontally and vertically or it wasn't quite right. Fast moving stuff like sports didn't work well, it went too blurry and distracting. It was best suited to long, slow panoramic shots, where the camera was static or animation like Toy Story which was clearly made for it and looked superb.

Active might be better, but then you've got the fancy expensive glasses that need charging etc. Initial reaction was it's a gimmick. If a TV I wanted was available in a 3D version for little or no money more I'd possibly get it, but otherwise I'd save my money because I just don't think I'd use it enough.

BTW Sky3D is only free if you're paying the £10 extra for HD, I assume you know that.

Aye - I've got the HD package as part of my subscription. What do you take me for Daveed? :D

Watched NUFC vs MUFC in 3D at hesperiahotel london, and i was quite impressed there. Razor sharp quality and the depth was quite cool.

However, i think it might be a bit stressing on your eyes watching it alot.

Until it becomes like the 3DS (no need for glasses) universally, I'd be inclined to agree with you. It'll not always be a gimmick, it's definitely the future, just not yet. Holographic shit will be the future.

Guest neesy111

Until it becomes like the 3DS (no need for glasses) universally, I'd be inclined to agree with you. It'll not always be a gimmick, it's definitely the future, just not yet. Holographic shit will be the future.

Those TV's are around 2-3 years away.

Guest neesy111

The only way 3D will work is when it's in holographic form.  Still more than a decade away sadly.

We've got a Samsung 3dtv I've watched shrek 3d and some free

Stuff u get,  but that's it.

I only bought it as my tv Knacked up and they had a special offer on.

3d does work great on it if u can find anything decent to watch.

the quality on Avatar BluRay through a 3DTV was fucking mind boggling, i'll say it again

better than anything i've seen at the picture or anywhere else - the depth of detail and strength of the colour was incredible, watching in 3D took away from that tbh