Slow gifs

Dave

Whenever I have a load of animated gifs on screen (such as the smileys on the preview post screen) they all slow down to about 80% of their normal speed. Any ideas why this could be? I'm running FF5 on a month-old clean install of 64-bit W7, with a dual core 2.1GHz processor and 4GB ram. Video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 with up to date driver.

Surely a bunch of 3kb gifs shouldn't cause slow down on this machine?

Might have actually, can't quite remember. :blush:

Doesn't happen on IE9 though.

Try a roll back to 4, 5 is still beta aye? I gave up a long time ago on FF, too many errors.

Chrome FTW.

Nah, 5 is a official release.

Could still be a case of it needing an update, i'd try a roll back to 4 if it bother you that much, will only take a few mins and you'll know if the problem lies there.

Checked last night people complaining about it on 4, but more people had been complaining this week (I assume on 5), so you are not alone.

Got some links? I couldn't find owt.

This one was just someone asking the question under 4, but more people complaining this week.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/804210

Similar question:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/801343

And a solution:

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the add-ons is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).

Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

In Firefox 4 Safe mode disables extensions and disables hardware acceleration.

Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when

:(, dunno, i'd sit tight on an update and make sure you put in one of those complaint thingys as FF are pretty good at picking them up, might be some time as i doubt its classed as urgent though.

Off chance but is your video drivers updated?