Centre Back

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With all the talk of attacking players this summer, this subject's been overlooked somewhat. Personally, i'd absolutely love a new centre-back to partner Colo, as i think neither Williamson nor Taylor are the answer. Particularly the latter, in spite of his glut in front goal at the tail end of the season. If we're going into 2012 still banking our defensive hopes on Steven fucking Taylor (still), i'll be annoyed. It'd be tremendously disappointing imo. He's one of the 'high profile' names who i'd actually still be happy to see go this summer.

So anyway, yeah. What's the general consensus on this? Have a feeling those three goals will have put him ahead of Williamson in the pecking order in most people's thoughts. And not only that, but convinced them we don't need to drastically improve that area if there's any hopes of qualifying for Europe in the next two years.

For once I agree with Ronaldo. If ba's knee goes again we could really struggle without a top quality goalscorer and that could make a massive difference to how well we do. Although Simpson surprisingly seemed much better last year than in the championship he's still the weakest of our back four IMO. Obviously we may also need a top quality right back as well if Enrique goes. I'd also love to re sign the zog as well.

So if we can get a top quality cb to improve our first IX or (more likely our squad) then great i am all for genuine improvements. But it is not a priority position at the moment.

Ideally we manage to sign another really good striker and right back + i'd love to jave the zog back. If there is any chance of keeping Enrique we do, otherwise if we get a big offer our he may need replacing as well.

We need Taylor and Williamson to up there game next year. At times they can be pretty good and are not as poor as some make out. Should be a big season for them this year, make or break.

Another CB would be nice - as it is Kadar is 4th choice, looks canny BUT has had far too many injuries to be relied upon

BUT as others have said it is not a priority, striker, winger, RB and LB (backup to Jose or Jose replacement) would be ahead of CB for me - I am fairly happy with Steven Taylor, if he can stay fit I think he can do well alongside Colo

I think centre-half is more of a priority than right back - mainly because of the backup that we currently have.

James Tavernier looks a decent prospect, and as things stand is in a position to challenge Simpson if the latter's form dips. If we get a gun right back (which we won't, but if) then Simpson will most likely be sold off and Tavernier's development will be stymied as he hangs around waiting for an injury. We also have the very poor Perch and R Taylor in reserve on the right.

In the middle though, there is the starting partnership of Coloccini and Williamson, next is S Taylor. Now, I understand Kadar to be a fine prospect, better even than Tavernier on the right, but he's always injured. I don't feel comfortable relying on him - becasue after Kadar, who is next? Someone out of position? Or 16 year old Remi Streete?

The next problem is if the supposed one in, one out rule applies here - because the issue here is less of quality but the lack of quality in depth. Replacing S Taylor with, for instance, Roger Johnson, might improve the quality of the starting XI, but would leave us in the similar position of relying on Kadar as fourth choice...

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

We'll probably just go with Kadar and Tavernier as 4th/5th choice. Bigger areas that need improving first.

I don't think we particularly need a new first-choice centre-back yet, for a team looking at top 8 I think you could get away with Taylor or Williamson alongside Coloccini, but we need someone with experience of some sort in case anything happens to one or two of them. Say Coloccini's suspended and Taylor's got an injury, pretty scary relying on Williamson & Kadar playing well and staying fit.

I'm not that confident with any of our centre backs but an upgrade would be costly and difficult to land, given the competition for the best CBs.

Kadar looks good but needs experience.

Guest schmuck

Stick me down as another in the 'right back and forward first' brigade. Simpson is the weakest of our starting XI and there's nothing behind him. And if Best really is surplus to requirements (which I still can't understand) then there is no capable alternative to Ba.

CB is probably about 4th on the list in my opinion, and in NUFC's too I think. I doubt we'll get around to it this summer, and by the time we do we'll know enough about Kadar and Tavernier to see if we need to buy. A Fitz Hall-style bargain basement body could be a good compromise, but if you look at the teams around us, few if any have more than 3 first team CBs and a promising kid at their disposal - it's not as if we're pushing for the top 4 and playing in Europe this year.

It's very, very wishful thinking here. But I wish we could get a young but proven CB, early 20s. Play alongside Colo for a few years, learn from him, and then take the mantle as defensive rock when Colo is on his way out, and get a good partner for him. Because Williamson nor Taylor are the answer for our reliable defensive rock in the centre. Both of them will only perform when they've got a top notch partner. And I fucking fear for our defence when Colo goes. :lol:

This is probably where someone like O'Shea would be ideal. Would arguably get into the team anyway, but can cover right across the back four.

Agreed.

But we should sign a striker first like.

Centre back and striker should be top priorities. As I have mentioned previously, in a different thread, I think Saylor/Williamson need replacing.

They're good enough at the moment.

Every window it feels like we 'need' to replace about 12 players. This never really happens though does it (and that's for all clubs, not just us).

There are a number of reasons for this but in short, it's just not realistic.

The players we had that definitely won't be playing for us next season are:

Nolan and Carroll.

Those who weren't here/available but will be playing next season are:

Gosling*, Ben Arfa*, Cabaye, Ba and Marvaux.

So we are 3 players 'progressed' already. *I can't really account these two as being available, maybe nit picking but they really weren't were they?.