Scottish Independence - No Wins!

Northerngimp

Not seen a thread on this yet so thought we should have one.

A push for a referendum from Alex Salmond as leader of the SNP and now Scotlands first minister...this is really gathering pace.

Should we all vote on it in the UK or should it be Scotlands vote ?

Personally I would be dissapointed if we broke the union up.

Bit of history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acts_of_Union_1707

Doesn't concern me greatly either way, other than the prospect of having to remember my passport and change my money when I want to go walking (because whichever way you look at it, they've got better mountains than we have).  I don't think anybody can accurately foresee what difference it'll make to either country economically without it actually happening.  Not sure how they'll manage as regards military (or whether they'll just not bother).

It should be Scotland's vote exclusively, though - it's nowt to do with us, really.

it's a break of the union so surely all members of the union should have a vote ? and why would you need to change money and need a passport etc ? never been to the benelux countries ?

fwiw i couldn't give a toss and they tend to run scared themselves when you tell them they aren't getting the oil/gas.

I'm all for Scottish independence, and you can add Welsh and Irish independence in to the pot to boot. IMO England is under represented in Westminster and foots the bill for the other countries while not getting the same benefits like free prescriptions, no tuition fees, drugs that are restricted in England due to cost but available in Scotland etc etc. The whole idea of the Union is past it's sell by date and devolution has only served to hasten the full break-up of it. It would have happened eventually. England should have it's own parliament and take control of her own affairs as should the other members of the union.

This isn't a racist thing by the way. Colour or religion don't come in to it. It's purely about people living in England, regardless of ethnicity, being ripped off by the rest of the UK.

My feeling is that people should be moving to more and more unity, not more and more separation. I would disappointed if Scotland chose to leave the UK.

I am slightly annoyed that Scotland gets a much better deal on things like prescriptions and students fees though, but devolution wouldn't solve that.

It's a difficult issue, even putting it to referendum in Scotland will leave a lot of people feeling it's been forced on them. I'm not sure what the numbers are, but I guess it can't be more than about 65% of the Scottish population who would be in favour.

No happening.  Salmond's just a fat c***.

He is drumming up support, promising the Scots a "look at Norway" model.

Tho one Scotch guy on newsnight said "Norway is really expensive".

Apparently Salmond used to bang on about Iceland and Ireland as models.

Oh dear.

Can scotland financially support itself?

They claim they can, Salmond also (according to newsnight)  that he wants scotland to be the saudi arabi of renewable fuels.

If he can guarantee a certain quota of Saudi sunshine every year that sounds great.

I think the vote should only be in Scotland and England. People in Wales and the north of Ireland would vote for the wrong reasons, for example nationalists here would vote yes just to break the union and make the chances of a referendum here even greater.

Im all for their Independence and the union breaking, but right now is probably not the best time to do it.

I think the vote should only be in Scotland and England. People in Wales and the north of Ireland would vote for the wrong reasons, for example nationalists here would vote yes just to break the union and make the chances of a referendum here even greater.

Im all for their Independence and the union breaking, but right not is probably not the best time to do it.

Aren't we stronger as a collection of nations rather then being individual nations, ie Europe will swallow us all.

Aren't we stronger as a collection of nations rather then being individual nations, ie Europe will swallow us all.

we're a fucking joke as we are, don't see how breaking up will make things any worse

when i say worse i mean for everyone but england - i think breaking up would be a disaster for england personally, politics would go right-wing to the max and we'd become the island nation the tories always wanted

we're a f***ing joke as we are, don't see how breaking up will make things any worse

when i say worse i mean for everyone but england - i think breaking up would be a disaster for england personally, politics would go right-wing to the max and we'd become the island nation the tories always wanted

I would dread the day!

Id move to scotland or if I have the money fcking off to Canada, NZ, or Aus.