Pyeongchang, South Korea to host 2018 Winter Olympics

oldtype

Well Done, though I never thought of South Korea being a mad winter sports country?

We've got quite a bit of winter-sports tradition, but aside from speed skating, we're pretty horrible at everything. Well, there's that one lass who's good at figure skating I suppose.

Guest neesy111

Its fucking freezing in kprea man,  have a read of korean war. 

It's on the list, especially after seeing the stuff from Vietnam war and the Pol Pot regime in Cambodia.

Guest neesy111

Well Done, though I never thought of South Korea being a mad winter sports country?

We've got quite a bit of winter-sports tradition, but aside from speed skating, we're pretty horrible at everything. Well, there's that one lass who's good at figure skating I suppose.

Many ski resorts?

Guest neesy111

Will the Koreas be united in time?

Think there is more chance of them being at war again than Korea being unified sadly.

Many ski resorts?

An absolute crapload. 60% of our land is mountainous and there's ski resorts everywhere. Really don't understand why all of our athletes are so s*** at it.

Just a quick disclaimer before our Scandinavian friends enter this thread: by "winter-sports tradition" I mean 40~50 years. We've certainly got nothing comparable to "we used to hunt wild animals on skis during the stone age."

Guest neesy111

Many ski resorts?

An absolute crapload. 60% of our land is mountainous and there's ski resorts everywhere. Really don't understand why all of our athletes are so shit at it.

Just a quick disclaimer before our Scandinavian friends enter this thread: by "winter-sports tradition" I mean "40~50 years" not, "we used to hunt wild animals on skis during the stone age."

Might make a trip to South Korea more worthwhile in the future.  :thup:

Think there is more chance of them being at war again than Korea being unified sadly.

Still actually at war, technically!

Some friends here were actually saying we should all come back to Korea for this... waygook reunion!!

We're probably not going to be reunited without some form of armed conflict, so I'm willing to settle for neither.

Guest neesy111

Some friends here were actually saying we should all come back to Korea for this... waygook reunion!!

Correct.

Though would love just to see what Pyongyang is like from a history point of view, think it would quite a throwback.

Many ski resorts?

An absolute crapload. 60% of our land is mountainous and there's ski resorts everywhere. Really don't understand why all of our athletes are so s*** at it.

Just a quick disclaimer before our Scandinavian friends enter this thread: by "winter-sports tradition" I mean 40~50 years. We've certainly got nothing comparable to "we used to hunt wild animals on skis during the stone age."

:lol:

Guest neesy111

We're probably not going to be reunited without some form of armed conflict, so I'm willing to settle for neither.

If anything happens it'll be the North that will likely start it.  Are South Korean's now settled into the 2 tier country now oldtype?

If anything happens it'll be the North that will likely start it.  Are South Korean's now settled into the 2 tier country now oldtype?

Well yes, obviously the North would start it, but it's usually not that simple. If anything I'm pretty sure they'll never be able to start all-out war with general mobilization if only because we'll know they're coming ages in advance. But war could just as easily break out because of regime collapse or escalation of tensions following some act of localized provocation. Wars that start against the wishes of all parties involved are not uncommon.

Reunification would be nice, but it's certainly not an imperative. There aren't a lot of people alive who have family in North Korea anymore. If anything, I'd want reunification just so we could stop plowing a gazillion dollars every year into the defense budget, but that would probably be offset by at least half a decade by the money it costs to control North-South immigration and impose martial law in the North.

Guest neesy111

If anything happens it'll be the North that will likely start it.  Are South Korean's now settled into the 2 tier country now oldtype?

Well yes, obviously the North would start it, but it's usually not that simple. If anything I'm pretty sure they'll never be able to start all-out war with general mobilization if only because we'll know they're coming ages in advance. But war could just as easily break out because of regime collapse or escalation of tensions following some act of localized provocation. Wars that start against the wishes of all parties involved are not uncommon.

Reunification would be nice, but it's certainly not an imperative. There aren't a lot of people alive who have family in North Korea anymore. If anything, I'd want reunification just so we could stop plowing a gazillion dollars every year into the defense budget, but that would probably be offset by at least half a decade by the money it costs to control North-South immigration and impose martial law in the North.

Sad to see a country divided by such an evil dictatorship in the North.  Irks me when communist countries use Democratic in their countries tag line. :(

Guest neesy111

Read that as Pyongyang, North Korea at first.  :lol:

Their only winter sport is "try not to freeze or starve to death till spring"

Summer sport, "try not to dehydrate and somehow find next meal".

Hilarious pair of gags there like. :(

Hilarious pair of gags there like. :(

:lol: That wasn't depressing at all.