Best Game Ever?

SEMTEX

In my opinion, it's definitely Read Dead Redemption. Here's a fantastic, albeit rather old, article from the guardian about the intricacies of a game so deep, so fulfilling and SO satisfying, that I actually finished it. Like, 100% finished it, not just "got to the end" kind of finished, "hunted down cougars with only a piece of flint and a bouquet of lavender in tow" kind of finished.

This preview article is bang on the money IMO, and describes to the T, why RDR, is the Best Game Ever.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/may/09/red-dead-redemption

The gaming community is gearing up for its biggest cultural event since the launch of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City eight years ago. That ushered in a new era of "open world" games, with cool soundtracks, multiple cinematic influences and rounded characters. Next week that game's creator, Rockstar, launches Red Dead Redemption, a sweeping open-world adventure, which is already topping the pre-order charts on Amazon.

Here, the player becomes an ex-outlaw making his way through a violent, lawless society. This will all sound familiar to Grand Theft Auto veterans. But Red Dead Redemption promises something much more intriguing. Set during the dying days of the old west, it's an elegiac investigation of a vanishing culture. As players ride through the game's spectacularly detailed environments, from the endless dusty scrublands of the Mexican border territories to the mountains of West Elizabeth, the sun realistically rises and sets in the looming skies. An eagle swoops overhead, its shadow falling across a corpse – a grisly touch Sergio Leone would have appreciated.

Game magazines have wondered for years why there have been so few western-themed titles, but I think it's obvious. Until now, the technology hasn't been there to replicate the scale of a John Ford landscape. It's much easier to model a skyscraper than a tree. Or indeed a cactus. This could be the first widescreen, giant LCD display cinematic gaming experience.

Perhaps what's most interesting though, is a sense of individual responsibility in the narrative. Lead character John Marston must find his own route through the madness of the Mexican revolution, and that might not necessarily mean perpetrating the sort of criminal carnage we're used to in the GTA series. He can help civilians in distress, and has an honour rating that rises with every good deed – the tabloids will doubtless be disgusted.

There is a step forward too in terms of storytelling and characterisation. While Grand Theft Auto is filled with comedy gangsters, Red Dead Redemption has wizened old snake-oil salesmen, cowardly drunks and educated prospectors scared senseless of the nightmare in which they find themselves. All are rendered in delicate detail – a long way from the jolting bug-eyed marionettes so often seen in games.

Although there is an overarching story, I suspect many gamers will spend more time simply camping, riding, shooting and foiling bank robberies. That is why Read Dead Redemption promises to have real cultural impact. Like the psychological thriller Heavy Rain, released earlier this year, it says that games really have grown up: they can present us with moral choices, they can make us experience living virtual worlds.

What is your BEST GAME EVER?

(fuck you Andy)

Toss up between Civ 4 and Final Fantasy 7 for me.

The game I´ve got the most enjoyment out of would probably be Diablo 2 or Dota/Hon tough, but that´s mostly the multiplayer part.

I guess what I'm wanting (other than to piss off Andy), is for people to explain WHY they love such a game, in a really gushing over the top manner that brings a slight tear to the eye, and makes me think it's a fantastic idea to spend $100 importing some random JRPG that I'll play for 10 minutes and then get bored of.

Inspiration to pick up an old classic that passed me by.

etc

So just the 8 games so far then? :lol:

1 game, and 1 game only Ridders.

Don´t think I can, it would be like discrimination among your children.

Ok if I absolutely had to pick one it would be.... would be.... *bites lip*....*clenches fist*....fuck I can´t. What kind of a monster would I be if I took one beloved game over another? Going to return my vote blank on this one.

Deus Ex. Hong Kong. Played it over the course of a week. Sessioned the shit out of it. Actually thought I was JC Denton.

As immersed as I have ever been in a game. Pure virtual reality.

I guess what I'm wanting (other than to piss off Andy), is for people to explain WHY they love such a game, in a really gushing over the top manner that brings a slight tear to the eye, and makes me think it's a fantastic idea to spend $100 importing some random JRPG that I'll play for 10 minutes and then get bored of.

Inspiration to pick up an old classic that passed me by.

etc

MGS because of its atmosphere, generally. I think that's what strikes me when I think about it - I could name a lot of things that were great about it, such as its graphics (at the time), music, storyline, environment, and gameplay (which was pretty original, to me, back then), but really, more than any particular element, the beauty of the game was just the "feeling" of it all...

The only thing that comes close to it in that sense is Deus Ex.

Super Mario World, nothing else comes close tbh :)

Had to be there at the time, but it just crystallised everything that was good about platform games and took the ideas forward in a really novel way.  Gigantic enemies.. running behind the scenery.. the music that changed to include congas when you got onto Yoshi.. Yoshi himself, in fact.. loads of secret exits, and secret secret exits.  Just superb :)

:thup:

Super Mario World, nothing else comes close tbh :)

Had to be there at the time, but it just crystallised everything that was good about platform games and took the ideas forward in a really novel way.  Gigantic enemies.. running behind the scenery.. the music that changed to include congas when you got onto Yoshi.. Yoshi himself, in fact.. loads of secret exits, and secret secret exits.  Just superb :)

:lol: I was there. It never hit me. I could never ever use that controller, though.

:lol: That's kinda fucked up.

Breaking Dan's rules here, but I think Ico needs to be mentioned. You wait until you fuck with that windmill for the first time. I hope it hits you the way it hit everyone back when that demo came out.

There's no way any modern game can trump the oldies. For me the magic and freshness experienced back in the days of the SNES especially can't be topped, ever.