Harry Potter

Crumpy Gunt

I'd say 8.  6 might be a bit young for the books and they definitely mature as the series goes on. I'd imagine a 6 year old would enjoy the first couple of films anyway. I started around 99/00 so I would have been about 8 I guess.

My American niece is five years old and loves the first two (or three) films. I'm pretty sure that her mum has read more of the books to her.

I think "getting into" and "understanding" are different things though. I loved Star Wars when I was really small, but can't say I understood what was going on - just liked spaceships and lasers. I'd be more worried about how scary the films are.

10/11?

For books I would say, to be have the patience etc to read it alone, bear in mind I know fuck all about kids this is just from experience, that was my age when they came out I think everyone loved them, so I guess a year or 2 earlier could work  :thup:

I would have been around 6 when my dad first started reading them to me. Then i think the 1st one i read on my own was the 5th book.

As a bairn, with the earlier books they're not very complicated and the writing style is actually quite simple to understand. It's the books further in the series that require a more mature reader/listener. But by the time he gets to the 4th book he'll be much older anyway. :thup:

Horrible Histories, tbh. Loved those when I was a kid. 6 is possibly too early for them but no harm in trying it out.

They were amazing. Read The Terrible Tudors and Measly Middle Ages about 30 times. Couldn't get enough, snorted the fucking words right up.

As long as they find it entertaining, IMO children will be able to read anything you give them. That was the case for my parents with me at least.

I think you should always give your children books that you think could be "too hard" for them. If they like the book enough they'll adapt and their reading ability will grow in leaps and bounds.

8/9 is OK for the first two books I'd say. As the series goes on it gets more mature. Book 5 on I'd say 16+ to be honest.

Same for the films really. The final few films were mature enough and would be 15+ for me.

I would have been around 6 when my dad first started reading them to me. Then i think the 1st one i read on my own was the 5th book.

Same in my case. Only that it was my mum who was reading them to me.

8 would be about the youngest for the books I'd say personally (then again I know f*** all I didn't discover them till I was 18)

18 FFS!

and even then that was an accident as the first book just so happened to be lying on the seat next to me one evening at home and out of boredom I read it

Guest BooBoo

Always thought Gilderoy Lockhart was underused.

One thing I'll say about Rowling, she really has some fantastic names for her characters.

Always thought Gilderoy Lockhart was underused.

One thing I'll say about Rowling, she really has some fantastic names for her characters.

I can't really see how he could have been used again tbh