Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Woodgate made the position of central defender look so stupidly easy in a way that I've only seen players like Ronaldinho make playing as an attacker seem easy. He was that good.

For a small CB Woodgate never got bullied either. Had absolutely everything apart from the required professionalism.

Woodgate made the position of central defender look so stupidly easy in a way that I've only seen players like Ronaldinho make playing as an attacker seem easy. He was that good.

For a small CB Woodgate never got bullied either. Had absolutely everything apart from the required professionalism.

Small? He's 6"2.

Small? He's 6"2.

Used to see him out all the time when I had the misfortune of living in Boro. He's my height. 6' or just over.

Small? He's 6"2.

Used to see him out all the time when I had the misfortune of living in Boro. He's my height. 6' or just over.

I'm 6'2" and I dont see it as being particularly tall either. Loads of people bigger than me about. Always thought of it being middle of the road when I used to play.

Back to the topic, Ive always loved Colocinni, and he has generally been a good signing for us. He has been class lately but Woodgate was the best Ive seen. I always remember being in awe of him most of the time. He should have been one of Englands all time great defenders. Shame what happened to him.

He has been a very good CB, excellent when he really feels like he's up for a game, but he's past his best now. His pace, never a strong point, has deteriorated and he now relies on his reading of a game which admittedly is good but we need a long-term quality CB to partner Mbemba.

Shelvey's arrival will take some pressure off him as he provides a good outlet in front of the back 4, but it cannot be a long term solution...or even a medium term one.

Top managers always know when to replace top players - Shankly was ruthless that way and so was Clough.

keegan was bloody ruthless anarl.

Fabricio Coloccini will not receive the plaudits, but the Newcastle United captain looks reborn

In the eyes of some fans, it seems Coloccini will never justify his place at the heart of the Magpies back four anymore. Too many below-par performances – accentuated further by poor, and sometimes seemingly even a complete lack of, leadership – over a two-year period have clouded some supporters’ vision of his current displays.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabricio-coloccini-not-receive-plaudits-10755062

Fabricio Coloccini will not receive the plaudits, but the Newcastle United captain looks reborn

In the eyes of some fans, it seems Coloccini will never justify his place at the heart of the Magpies back four anymore. Too many below-par performances – accentuated further by poor, and sometimes seemingly even a complete lack of, leadership – over a two-year period have clouded some supporters’ vision of his current displays.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabricio-coloccini-not-receive-plaudits-10755062

Hey Ron, you made the paper.

I kinda agree with Ron to be honest. Although he's been solid these last few weeks and in occasional patches over this season that doesn't really cancel out some of his terrible form in the seasons preceeding that. He would be much less under scrutiny if he wasn't the club captain - a role that he is definitely not the best candidate for at all.

When it was reported that Coloccini wanted the likes of Ben Arfa out would just sit quietly when the team were arguing in the dressing room after yet another 3-0 I went off him and I doubt many would disagree that when he was desperate to go to San Lorenzo he should have gone and left a bit of a legacy and allowed us to replace him. I know that Ron goes on and on about him, but he does have a point.

Oh, happy birthay  :aww:

Colo seams to have put 100% and try his absolute hardest running around like a madman just to put in an average performance these days and if he doesn't like yesterday he's just not up to scratch and he turns into a liability.

He couldn't be arsed for that first goal. It's just basic defending.

The goal when Ighalo was offside and when Lascelles was our last man?

He looks directly at Ighalo before the ball is played and doesn't make any effort to get near him. Just a lazy step up instead.

Well, he had managed to perfectly execute the offside line to catch Ighalo, just the linesman fucked it up.

The second goal was  more Colo not doing his job properly, he should have been far stronger and closed Cathcarthorse down or even got a foot in to stop it getting to him.

Why play an offside trap when you're 3 against 1? Just man mark and play it safe. We're not in a position to take risks like that.

I'm not sure any of those 3 man marking could be described as playing it safe .

Still smarter than letting one of the most in form and quickest strikers in the league to move freely into a very dangerous area of the pitch. They know he's a brilliant mover, they should have looked to get deeper with him considering Watford barely had anyone forward. Made a rod for our own back.

He couldn't be arsed for that first goal. It's just basic defending.

The goal when Ighalo was offside and when Lascelles was our last man?

He looks directly at Ighalo before the ball is played and doesn't make any effort to get near him. Just a lazy step up instead.

Well, he had managed to perfectly execute the offside line to catch Ighalo, just the linesman fucked it up.

The second goal was  more Colo not doing his job properly, he should have been far stronger and closed Cathcarthorse down or even got a foot in to stop it getting to him.

What about Mitro just standing watching Cathcart?

• 2 weeks later...

After a spell of looking not too bad.  He was right back to his usual self.  Cowardly shithouse, that is always out of position.  I can accept him getting bullied by Lukaku.  But Kone gave him the run around and put him on the weights a couple of times, too. 

He is fucking awful and as bad as Owen was as our captain.