Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

I didn’t really like him, not that good and often running around out of position because of lack of trust in his (admittedly shite) teammates. 

Also remember Alan Smith having to win headers in front of him from opposition goal kicks etc, he was that shaky in the air when he first arrived. 

OK defender but I don’t have any particular affection for him.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I thought he was great when he got up to speed. The year we finished fifth he was brilliant and the second best cb in the league behind Kompany. Classy as fuck on the ball too. There’s a great clip on YouTube of him and Tiote doing a little one-two flick over Rooney’s  head.

No doubt about it though when he was bad he was really bad. He struggled initially and towards the end of his career here with the physical side of the game. We should have paired him up with someone better and we might have got a bit more out of him, but instead we left him with Mike Williamson in a poor Alan Pardew team.

Edited by Rafalove

Overriding memory of him in that first season is him being terrorised by Sami Hyypia in a 1-5 howking at SJP,he went close with headers twice before scoring an easy 3rd. Colo ended up shoving Taylor into him to try and deal with it after that. He did massively improve after that, as others have pointed out

Not a fan at all. Seemed like a proper pardew lover and he always seemed to have Christmas off with what seemed like spurious reasons. He is tainted with the stink of the previous odious regime. 

11 minutes ago, Stal said:

Not a fan at all. Seemed like a proper pardew lover and he always seemed to have Christmas off with what seemed like spurious reasons. He is tainted with the stink of the previous odious regime. 

Colo or Ian W?

Very classy defender who needed a lot of protection because of his blatant physical limitations. He rarely got that here.

3 very good seasons, including in the Championship where he was so many steps ahead of the shit he faced it was embarrassing. Unfortunately he was so slow and unfortunately uninterested by the end he descended to a glaring liability. Shame it concluded like that. 

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

You must’ve forgotten about the countless times we lost 4-0 or worse getting caught with balls over the top.

Or the countless times (more often than not) we didn’t! 

• 1 year later...

I loved Colo. The Championship year made him, and he was rightly one of the best defenders in the league at one stage. Even his final hours here, while not the peak of his powers, showed why he was highly rated in his youth. 

There's a collection of players (Jonas being in that pile too) that I'd love to have back at the stadium now Ashley is gone. 

1 minute ago, Tiresias said:

Not long ago a footy writer used him as a random example of a 'comedy' bad defender and i nearly wrote an angry email. 

:lol: The fuck could that opinion even be based upon. He was a God.

8 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Not long ago a footy writer used him as a random example of a 'comedy' bad defender and i nearly wrote an angry email. 

His performance against Sunderland when Tiote was sent off might be one of the best defensive performances I've seen in person. 

9 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Nah link this article, man.