Lost Consoles

Guest BooBoo

Guest BooBoo

Has anybody ever owned one of the really obscure consoles that have been and gone over the years? I remember the Sega Mega CD that was meant to be the future but no bugger ever bought one and it flopped terribly. I also remember really wanting a hand held Lynx when I was a kid but ended getting one of those carbuncle Game Gears. I knew this kid at middle school who had issues and he told everyone that his uncle was the manager of Dixons and that he was going to get everyone a free Lynx and two games. He strung the tale out for weeks until people started really hassling him about it and he broke down sobbing saying he'd been bullshitting all along. I digress though...

I also had one of the rarer Sinclair Spectrum +3 with the disc drive. The games were very hard to get hold of as the +2 was by far the bigger seller. In the end, I bought a tape deck and hooked it up so I could tape my mate's games and also buy the £1.99 budget games like Dizzy.

There was also the Neo Geo but the games were ridiculously over priced.

I had a +3. :D

Never got any games that didn't come with it when we bought it. Did the same as you with most of my games being on tape, even though the load times were vastly inferior.

Guest BooBoo

I think with my +3, I got a light gun package with a load of games like Operation Wolf and Bullseye built in. The gun was flimsy though and broke quite quickly.

I had a few games on disc like Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (which was dreadful), Pang and my favourite Chase HQ.*

Had some great ones on tape though- Tracksuit Manager, Daley Thompsons Supertest, Afterburner.

*And Batman: The Movie which took my ages to finish.

Guest BooBoo

Had the Mega CD - absolute shite with no software and the FMV games were atrocious.

Was there something called Night Trap or something, where you had to set traps for burglars?

I remember getting a Sega magazine at the time and they were predicting it would be THE game on the Mega CD. Even then though I thought it looked/sounded shite.

Had the Mega CD - absolute shite with no software and the FMV games were atrocious.

Was there something called Night Trap or something, where you had to set traps for burglars?

I remember getting a Sega magazine at the time and they were predicting it would be THE game on the Mega CD. Even then though I thought it looked/sounded shite.

Stayed away from Night Trap as it did indeed look like an absolute crock of shit.

My brother bought the one where you went through the sewers in some sort of craft where the display was all FMV (and took up about 8 inches square of a 21 inch TV.  Needless to say it, but it was shit.

Guest BooBoo

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a load of toss. No wonder it never sold. Its basically the gaming version of that car that Homer Simpson designs for his brother which subsequently ruins him.

What a load of toss. No wonder it never sold. Its basically the gaming version of that car that Homer Simpson designs for his brother which subsequently ruins him.

That's not even the worst version. He has the one that fits the Mega Drive II (who even had one of those?), the original one was a stacking thing that made your MD as tall as it was wide.

Guest BooBoo

Actually thinking back, I rang some premium number trying to win one of those things.

I was on the phone about 25 minutes!

That's not even the worst version. He has the one that fits the Mega Drive II (who even had one of those?), the original one was a stacking thing that made your MD as tall as it was wide.

Hey! If you're wondering who had a Mega Drive II, I did. :lol: Currently got one of the originals pictured above gathering dust that I yanked out me ex's loft and was like 'I'll have that!'.

Never really owned anything obscure, but read a lot about them. Crazy to think just how many consoles and supposed amazing, innovative accessories that never got off the ground in the past 20-30 years.

The most obscure consoles I own are probably these two.

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/enlarge.cgi?image=014680_a.jpg&ref=014680&name=014680

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Kpo05xeBhrU/S9n4lsJlqlI/AAAAAAAABfE/f84x7VnE00U/s1600/Nec-PC-Engine.jpg

My mate had the Neo-Geo, I honestly thought it was decent.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Kpo05xeBhrU/S9n4lsJlqlI/AAAAAAAABfE/f84x7VnE00U/s1600/Nec-PC-Engine.jpg

^ What is that??

Guest Stephen927

I had both a Mega Drive 1 and a Mega Drive II. Never knew what the difference was until now, other than colours and the lack of a volume switch.

Guest icemanblue

http://www.rolentapress.com/rolenta/collection/3d0/pan-3do.jpg

http://www.damncheapgames.com/images/Atari%20Jaguar.jpg

Didn't have either of these myself, but a mate did.