Chrome OS

Beren

For those that don't know, this is Google's latest foray into technology - essentially an operating system which is just a browser.

All your stuff is stored in the clouds, but there's virtually no boot up time, the battery is better and no virus software required.

Thoughts?

Maybe in my (slightly) older age, I'm a bit resistant to change than I ought to be, but this doesn't seem like an avenue I hope the big companies explore. I like having my documents etc in my possession, not in the Cloud! [/paranoid]

Guest neesy111

For those that don't know, this is Google's latest foray into technology - essentially an operating system which is just a browser.

All your stuff is stored in the clouds, but there's virtually no boot up time, the battery is better and no virus software required.

Thoughts?

Maybe in my (slightly) older age, I'm a bit resistant to change than I ought to be, but this doesn't seem like an avenue I hope the big companies explore. I like having my documents etc in my possession, not in the Cloud! [/paranoid]

Cloud computing is the future, but it's totally inoperable at the moment as we don't have blanket 3G/WiMax coverage etc

Also you companies could easily access those documents you have if you have an account on your computer to MS Office or iTunes for example, so it is nothing new.

before i got my hands on android i was excited by this prospect, thought they'd take the best of apple and make it better but they failed at that with android imo so see no reason why this should be any different

something that totally relies on network coverage is never going to work imo, but i'm an old fart granted

I'd prefer Android on computers tbh, though Chrome OS would be a good idea for business as the cost alone are far less, and you can change computers at ease as everything just syncs when you login. I've been tempted to try it as when I use my netbook I've got internet, though I think I'll wait till they improve google docs enough first.

Mrmo these are two different products and I'd like you to explain how they have failed with android?

Guest neesy111

For documents etc, I do use syncing programs like dropbox that allow me to work on multiple machines and have backups in the 'Cloud', works well.  But a cloud OS can't work without a lack of blanket 3G coverage and tbf won't work efficiently imo until there is 4G everywhere which is at least 3-5 years away in the UK.

Mrmo these are two different products and I'd like you to explain how they have failed with android?

Because he doesn't like it. :lol:

I wasn't having a go just interested why he thinks one operating system will fail as he doesn't like the other.

I know, but I think his reasoning is little more than "Android is shit, so Chrome OS will be shit too".

Anyway, I don't think you need blanket 3/4G coverage for a laptop OS to be effective. It just needs to be reliable and easy to use.

I guess there's also the argument of Who has better security, your own company or Google. I imagine google will be able to trump 99% of companies on existence.

But I know they're probably about a million times more likely to get attacked. Pros and cons innit.

Chrome OS would be perfect if you could do stuff offline, then when you get internets everything is synced. If they were to rely a bit more on local storage and allow offline working with syncing to the cloud as a back up, or even allowing you the option to sync stuff if you know you're going to be offline.

I haven't used it but thats my take going from reviews/hands on I've read.

I trust google with my data, people have tried to hack them but they seem to actually know what they're doing about security.

"thought they'd take the best of apple and make it better but they failed at that with android imo"

i thought it was fairly clear, android necessarily emulated certain facets of ios but in my opinion it hasn't improved on any feature in the versions i've used (swype is the only thing i missed when going back to ios)....i didn't say they'd failed 100% which you seem to have taken this to mean

I wasn't having a go just interested why he thinks one operating system will fail as he doesn't like the other.

well i don't know it obviously, but the only knowledge i have (android) leads me to conclude i shouldn't be too hopeful...but then i love chrome browser so now i'm confused :lol:

There's very little to it, but it's certainly an OS.

You're basically booting in to the Chrome browser, with a few tweaks. The bare-bones nature of it is it's biggest benefit, it'll boot up in seconds, and no data will be stored on the PC itself.