Premier League - Would a closed league with no relegation be positive..

NG32

Would the prem league work as a closed league, would it make our game better with teams knowing they will never be relegated?

Could we then extend the league and create confrences?

For example

Conference - North

Newcastle

Sunderland

Boro

Celtic

Rangers

Sheff Wed

Sheff Utd

Leeds

Conference - North West

Man Utd

Man City

Liverpool

Everton

Blackburn

Bolton

Burnley

Wigan

Confrence - Midlands

Villa

Birmingham

Wolves

Westbrom

Notts Forest

Leicester

Derby

Conference - South

Arsenal

Chelsea

Spurs

West Ham

Charlton

Southampton

Portsmouth

Bristol City

An interesting idea, however it would be little better than the SPL in my opinion. Playing each other more than twice to fill out the season would get very stale, especially with the same teams year in year out. So that's a no from me!

It makes financially planning a bit more predictable, so there are advantages for the clubs who are already part of the league.

But ultimately - no, it's unfair on the clubs who are on the outside. The dream of being promoted to the very top is a dream that has to be kept alive for a number of clubs.

What would be a useful reform is evening out the distribution of TV and other income between the Premiership and the Championship. Relegation and Promotion have too large an impact plus and minus, and proper financial planning becomes impossible.

There would be a lot of positives as it would improve competitiveness, maybe even encourage teams to open up more and try to play more football. Also if finances were to follow the American model with there being a salary cap we might see talent more evenly spread amongst the teams.

But, it simply isn't feasible to deny any team entry to a top league.

Guest WashyGeordie

What about the rest of the teams in the football league? Split up aswell? And what would their aim be if they can't play any of the top teams nor promoted or relegated?

Also why are teams like Bristol City there but no QPR? And Scottish teams but no Welsh (Swansea?)

We should be looking to raise the standard of the Championship to a kind of Premier League 2 IMO, not close off the top flight.

If we could find a way of making the Championship almost as attractive/famous/lucrative then maybe the fear of relegation wouldn't cause clubs to do such stupid things.

No way you can get rid of relegation, would go against everything football is supposed to be about.

Absolutely not. The Premier League has already destroyed the dreams of the vast majority of teams and their fans and you think it would be an idea to kill their dreams completely.

Is this the only way you think Newcastke would win anything???

You choice of teams awe inspiring.

Why have places for current 3rd division teams and none for current Premier league teams, if history and size is all that matters, why include Wigan.

If anything like this ever happened I would find another sport to spend all my money on.

Guest WashyGeordie

Absolutely not. The Premier League has already destroyed the dreams of the vast majority of teams and their fans and you think it would be an idea to kill their dreams completely.

Is this the only way you think Newcastke would win anything???

You choice of teams awe inspiring.

Why have places for current 3rd division teams and none for current Premier league teams, if history and size is all that matters, why include Wigan.

If anything like this ever happened I would find another sport to spend all my money on.

:thup:

If there's only 8 teams to play in a season (16 games home/away) just think of how much it's gonna cost!

And the lost revenue etc etc.

Would result in the same problems as American leagues...perenially awful teams with owners who have no interest or incentive for success and face no penalty for underachievement. Maximize profit from ticket, kit and sponsorship. No investment really required in players. Repeat next season.