Premier League - Would a closed league with no relegation be positive..

NG32

If the US model is so bad and ridiculed by most, why is it that the NFL can generate US$7.8 Billion while the Premier League only generated US$2.83 billion (based on today's spot exchange).

I think it is short sighted to suggest that the FA pyramid is the be all and end all. The parity in the NFL makes the game exciting and there is a reasonable expectation that your team can win the championship. While in the Prem league era there have been only 4 winners with Blackburn winning once so effectively three teams winning it all.

While I am not sure I support Gimp's structure - I think it is an interesting idea that encompasses marketing, revenue, parity and of course, a more open style of competition.

Guest dazzanufc1892

been saying id love this for years. im sick of seeing piss poor teams come up and go straight back down. Of teams parking the bus because theyre scared to lose a point in case they go down. If we could break away, have a wage cap and make an american system id love it.

Guest ItalianMagpie

The death of football. It'd be the most boring competition ever, with the same clubs playing each other year after year and with most of them competing for nothing, as they could never win and yet they shouldn't fight for staying up.

You would still play the other teams in different confrences.

The top 4 of each conference would go into the play offs.

Ok, but still it would be the same lot of clubs year after year...no newcomers, no "sport miracles", no new stories...nothing, always the same stuff every year. Boring.

Beside that, what would happen to the lower divisions? Would they disappear? And if not, what would their clubs play for and who could possibly ever be interested in following such pointless leagues?

Fuck no - To quote a Vanilla Sky "Without the bitter, the sweet ain't as sweet" the fear of relegation and the pride of staying in that division is what makes it what it is.

Guest ItalianMagpie

If the US model is so bad and ridiculed by most, why is it that the NFL can generate US$7.8 Billion while the Premier League only generated US$2.83 billion (based on today's spot exchange).

I think it is short sighted to suggest that the FA pyramid is the be all and end all. The parity in the NFL makes the game exciting and there is a reasonable expectation that your team can win the championship. While in the Prem league era there have been only 4 winners with Blackburn winning once so effectively three teams winning it all.

While I am not sure I support Gimp's structure - I think it is an interesting idea that encompasses marketing, revenue, parity and of course, a more open style of competition.

Americans don't need competition to watch sports, that's why. They play 2 million games a season which count nothing, and they still enjoy watching them. Do that in football and the game is over. The parity is only theoretical, and the the price to pay for this theoretical chance your team have to win the title is double: 1- They can suddenly switch from champions to worst of the league in only one summer: every fan's dream. 2- if you don't aim to the title, you could easily not bother to play at all: what's the point of running for 4th or 5th place? And even worse, what's the point of running for any spot outside the playoffs?

Ok, but still it would be the same lot of clubs year after year...no newcomers, no "sport miracles", no new stories...nothing, always the same stuff every year. Boring.

Beside that, what would happen to the lower divisions? Would they disappear? And if not, what would their clubs play for and who could possibly ever be interested in following such pointless leagues?

So you are suggesting that the so-called "minor leagues" in North America are pointless? Get a grip man. Triple A baseball - the second tier of the most boring sport ever with no hope for promotion outdraws the Championship.

So you don't love the sport you love the result.

Americans don't need competition to watch sports, that's why. They play 2 million games a season which count nothing, and they still enjoy watching them. Do that in football and the game is over. The parity is only theoretical, and the the price to pay for this theoretical chance your team have to win the title is double: 1- They can suddenly switch from champions to worst of the league in only one summer: every fan's dream. 2- if you don't aim to the title, you could easily not bother to play at all: what's the point of running for 4th or 5th place? And even worse, what's the point of running for any spot outside the playoffs?

How is the parity only theoretical? In the same time the Premier League has existed there have been 14 winners of the Superbowl. In the Prem League era there have been Four. WTF man, do you not know what parity is?

Guest ItalianMagpie

So you are suggesting that the so-called "minor leagues" in North America are pointless? Get a grip man. Triple A baseball - the second tier of the most boring sport ever with no hope for promotion outdraws the Championship.

So you don't love the sport you love the result.

In a way. I love the sport also because it's stricly connected to the result and its importance. And this confirms what I said, americans don't need competition to watch and enjoy sport.

Guest ItalianMagpie

How is the parity only theoretical? In the same time the Premier League has existed there have been 14 winners of the Superbowl. In the Prem League era there have been Four. WTF man, do you not know what parity is?

Having a salary cap doesn't mean every club spend the same, does it? In american sports are plenty of examples of clubs which are always at the top of the game.

In any case, my point is that I'd neaver follow a minor league in which nobody can be promoted or relegated, it just doesn't mean anything to me.

A sport without competition is utterly pointless, it would suck the life out of the game. Our sporting culture must be different because nobody would accept that happening.

Exactly imagine not just season after season of mid table obscurity but season after season of finishing last with no consequences whats the feckin point. Turn up get the shit kicked out of you and go home week in week out.

The cream should rise and the shit should fall that's the natural order of things.

I just don't see any compelling arguments for this. If it's to protect clubs from the volatility of relegation, they shouldn't overspend in the first place. Plenty of people have survived a relegation and bounced back.

To stop the Franchises from over spending, they install salary caps. Hard caps in the NFL- which works, but with a soft cap in NBA (allow payment of a tax to the league for over spending on big name players) and therefore the NBA owners are loosing money because they can't control themselves.

Exactly imagine not just season after season of mid table obscurity but season after season of finishing last with no consequences whats the feckin point. Turn up get the s*** kicked out of you and go home week in week out.

The cream should rise and the s*** should fall that's the natural order of things.

Ah, but there is a reward for having a crappy season - you get the best player in the draft (the next rooney). The worst team gets the best player, and the best team gets the 20th best player. After a few seasons at the top your talent level is thin, and the teams at the bottom get a good talented crop of youngsters to help them get better.  But you need a closed league and a draft to make this work - no free agent signings until they pass through the draft so you can't hide players and then bring them in.

How does the draft system work with wages? Is there a structure in place so that if Blackpool got the "New" Rooney in the draft  they would be paying him x amount?

How does the draft system work with wages? Is there a structure in place so that if Blackpool got the "New" Rooney in the draft  they would be paying him x amount?

i've often wondered and asked about this in various places. whats to stop players just saying "nah fuck the draft, i don't want to go there"

Would result in the same problems as American leagues...perenially awful teams with owners who have no interest or incentive for success and face no penalty for underachievement. Maximize profit from ticket, kit and sponsorship. No investment really required in players. Repeat next season.

This.

If this happened, I'd stop supporting football altogether.

What about the Sheff Wed/Utds? The Forests and the Leeds? You can't take away the dream of top flight football!  Grass roots is bad enough as it is without forcing the youngsters to folliw their local franchise.

And the draft is a turboshit idea. Rewarding failure is just wrong. The real solution is salary caps/transfer caps/enforcing contracts, not penalising the strong.

I wouldn't want the american system in football and doubt it would work, but it does work over there and as a fan of most US Sports I like it and see the benefits of it for them. It has it's drawbacks though and it's not perfect. The lack of relegation means owners know they will always have a big league product to sell so can always get the TV money regardless of how bad they are.

I do, however, find the arguments being put forward in this thread about lack of parity, clubs being poor for eternity, lack of competition at the top level, clubs aiming for fourth or fifth best and so on a little blinkered. You could easily lay all those accusations at the Premier League and most of the other top leagues in Europe It's shows a real lack of knowledge of US Sports, which is mainly covered by standard excuses of 'not interested' or 'too boring' when in reality it is just that you don't understand them, which is nobody else's fault but your* own.

*general 'your' not specifically attributed to anyone.

I don't think football is a sport suited to the draft, would getting the best player make that much of a difference? You would just end up with the best player playing for a shit team for a while.

Not that I understand drafts very well.