Premier League - Would a closed league with no relegation be positive..

NG32

Fuck me what a stupid idea  to include rangers and Celtic in a Northern conference when F.I.F.A stipulate that it is not allowed ,any chance this can be included in a Stupid idea for a thread award at the end of the season Dave  :idiot2:

I like this idea, let's get a campaign going.

What do we want?

Everything to stay the same with mind numbing inevitability.

When do we want it?

Now.

Exactly imagine not just season after season of mid table obscurity but season after season of finishing last with no consequences whats the feckin point. Turn up get the s*** kicked out of you and go home week in week out.

The cream should rise and the s*** should fall that's the natural order of things.

Ah, but there is a reward for having a crappy season - you get the best player in the draft (the next rooney). The worst team gets the best player, and the best team gets the 20th best player. After a few seasons at the top your talent level is thin, and the teams at the bottom get a good talented crop of youngsters to help them get better.  But you need a closed league and a draft to make this work - no free agent signings until they pass through the draft so you can't hide players and then bring them in.

:lol: Oh good.  Can just imagine everyone being sound with a team lying down for a few years and stocking up a load of the best youngsters.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Exactly imagine not just season after season of mid table obscurity but season after season of finishing last with no consequences whats the feckin point. Turn up get the s*** kicked out of you and go home week in week out.

The cream should rise and the s*** should fall that's the natural order of things.

Ah, but there is a reward for having a crappy season - you get the best player in the draft (the next rooney). The worst team gets the best player, and the best team gets the 20th best player. After a few seasons at the top your talent level is thin, and the teams at the bottom get a good talented crop of youngsters to help them get better.  But you need a closed league and a draft to make this work - no free agent signings until they pass through the draft so you can't hide players and then bring them in.

:lol: Oh good.  Can just imagine everyone being sound with a team lying down for a few years and stocking up a load of the best youngsters.

Exactly. I've always wondered what should keep a team which is lying down at the bottom of the table from trying to improve instead of getting worse and worse to get "the reward"...

I like this idea, let's get a campaign going.

What do we want?

Everything to stay the same with mind numbing inevitability.

When do we want it?

Now.

When have we had it?

For twenty years.

:lol:

There is quite a bit of parity in American Sports, teams are usually separated by how many idiots they've appointed to positions of authority.

There is no parity in baseball, but the idiots rule applies x 10.

There is quite a bit of parity in American Sports, teams are usually separated by how many idiots they've appointed to positions of authority.

There's parity in the NFL. I'd be very surprised if ANY team hadn't made the playoffs at least ONCE the last 10 years http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/troll.jpeg

How does the draft system work with wages? Is there a structure in place so that if Blackpool got the "New" Rooney in the draft  they would be paying him x amount?

i've often wondered and asked about this in various places. whats to stop players just saying "nah f*** the draft, i don't want to go there"

Yes, in the NBA for example, there is a wage structure for all of the 60 selections in the draft. For first round picks, the contracts are a guaranteed 2 years with two following years that the team has the option of activating.

Players can not want to go to a certain place and what would most likely happen in that scenario is the team trading the player for another pick and other assets.

Depends what you mean by parity. Only one team has won two championships in the last decade. The playoffs, particularly in baseball, create parity. The regular season is a different story.

Depends what you mean by parity. Only one team has won two championships in the last decade. The playoffs, particularly in baseball, create parity. The regular season is a different story.

:nods: Fair point. I erase all recollection of playoffs that don't result in Yankee victory.

But I think a small market team with relatively few idiots has a better chance than a massive team filled from top to bottom with idiots.

:nods: Fair point. I erase all recollection of playoffs that don't result in Yankee victory.

But I think a small market team with relatively few idiots has a better chance than a massive team filled from top to bottom with idiots.

Agreed - need to look no further than the Rays and Mets for examples of each of those.

You speak of this parity but Baltimore seems never to benefit from it. It does not exist if only 10 teams benefit from it. I am no expert on baseball (a novice, in fact), but my experience disputes your argument.

The NBA has a weird lack of parity also. The teams that win are the teams that spend the most and the teams gifted stars in the draft (decided by Stern).

Only the NFL is truly equal.

The NFL is very equal. Someone mentioned that the champs can go from being champs to being absolute shit. Isn't that a good thing? The league adjusts. NFL dynasties are harder than hell to achieve (legitimately. Fuck off Stu!).

The NFL is very equal. Someone mentioned that the champs can go from being champs to being absolute shit. Isn't that a good thing? The league adjusts. NFL dynasties are harder than hell to achieve (legitimately. Fuck off Stu!).

Definitely.

A team in the NFL would have to be truly woeful to spend more than a couple of years in the doldrums. Equality is there for all, and pretty much every team achieves some level of success on a frequent basis. It's absolutely unheard of for a team to go through a decade of failure, I'm not even sure it's possiblehttp://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/troll.jpeg

f*** me what a stupid idea  to include rangers and Celtic in a Northern conference when F.I.F.A stipulate that it is not allowed ,any chance this can be included in a Stupid idea for a thread award at the end of the season Dave  :idiot2:

It was just a disucssion man, calm your beefy flaps.

Its not like I was ever going to prepose it to the prem league.

And as a discussion its filled 4 pages.

If this happened, I'd stop supporting football altogether.

What about the Sheff Wed/Utds? The Forests and the Leeds? You can't take away the dream of top flight football!  Grass roots is bad enough as it is without forcing the youngsters to folliw their local franchise.

And the draft is a turboshit idea. Rewarding failure is just wrong. The real solution is salary caps/transfer caps/enforcing contracts, not penalising the strong.

Those teams are listed.