Paris - Eiffel Tower

Petra - Petra

Rio De Janeiro - Corcovado

Rome - Colosseum ("Coliseum")

Salisbury - Stonehenge

Siem Riep - Angkor Wat

Sydney - Sydney Opera House

Timbuktu - Timbuktu

Ever heard of the Mausoleum of Maussollos? How about the Temple of Artemis? They're two of the original Seven Wonders of the World, and they're a little less wonderful since they were destroyed by an earthquake and a fire in A.D. 1494 and 356 B.C. respectively. In fact, only one of the original wonders still stands--the Great Pyramid of Giza. And now that sole remaining ancient wonder is a candidate to become one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.

Swiss author and filmmaker Bernard Weber started the New Seven Wonders project in 2000, and and his efforts will culminate on July 7, 2007--07/07/07. According to Weber's blog (which you can read at the project website) the goal is to further "tolerance and acceptance of the diversity of cultures." In keeping with that spirit, the voting process is open to everyone, everywhere. In fact, the foundation estimates that over 25% of the world's population is aware of the New Seven Wonders campaign.

In addition to the global vote, Weber is filming and producing a "world tour" documentary of the 21 finalists which include the Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu, and the Statue of Liberty.

Nominations?

http://www.new7wonders.com/

Agra - Taj Mahal

Athens -Acropolis

Beijing - Great Wall

Cairo - Pyramid of Cheops (Khufu)

Chichen Itza - Chichen Itza

Easter Island - Easter Island

Fussen - Neuschwanstein Castle

Granada - Alhambra, Generalife and Albayzín, Granada

Istanbul - Hagia Sophia

Kyoto - Kiyomizudera

Machu Picchu - Machu Picchu

Moscow - The Kremlin (Kreml')

New York City - Statue of Liberty

Paris - Eiffel Tower

Petra - Petra

Rome - Colosseum ("Coliseum")

Salisbury - Stonehenge

Siem Riep - Angkor Wat

Timbuktu - Timbuktu

Ever heard of the Mausoleum of Maussollos? How about the Temple of Artemis? They're two of the original Seven Wonders of the World, and they're a little less wonderful since they were destroyed by an earthquake and a fire in A.D. 1494 and 356 B.C. respectively. In fact, only one of the original wonders still stands--the Great Pyramid of Giza. And now that sole remaining ancient wonder is a candidate to become one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.

Swiss author and filmmaker Bernard Weber started the New Seven Wonders project in 2000, and and his efforts will culminate on July 7, 2007--07/07/07. According to Weber's blog (which you can read at the project website) the goal is to further "tolerance and acceptance of the diversity of cultures." In keeping with that spirit, the voting process is open to everyone, everywhere. In fact, the foundation estimates that over 25% of the world's population is aware of the New Seven Wonders campaign.

In addition to the global vote, Weber is filming and producing a "world tour" documentary of the 21 finalists which include the Great Wall of China, Machu Picchu, and the Statue of Liberty.

Nominations?

Should be a poll.

You may select up to 7 options.  :winking:

most of th e "new" list  of possibles are all quite old TBH

Lets restrict it to the last  ~200 years

and you're left with:-

Agra - Taj Mahal

Paris - Eiffel Tower

and they are all pretty fair choices

I'd add

Empire State Building

One of Stalin's BIg buildings in Moscow

Tien-an Mein Square

That new bridge in S France

The Santa Gradia or whatever in Barcelona

The MCG

Tanah Ulu Watu in Bali

most of th e "new" list  of possibles are all quite old TBH

Lets restrict it to the last  ~200 years

and you're left with:-

Agra - Taj Mahal

Paris - Eiffel Tower

and they are all pretty fair choices

I'd add

Empire State Building

One of Stalin's BIg buildings in Moscow The whole of the Kremlin is pretty spectacular, don't know when it was built like.

Tien-an Mein Square

That new bridge in S France

The Santa Gradia or whatever in Barcelona La Sagrada Familia?, see below

The MCG

Tanah Ulu Watu in Bali

http://www.underground.hu/spanyolbringa/0612panorama9.jpg

Guest Gemmill

Leaning tower of Pisa?

That thing should be renamed the OMG IT REALLY IS FUCKING LEANING!1111 Tower of Pisa.  Couldn't believe it when I saw it - I expected it to be on a bit of a slant, but Jesus wept, it's about to topple over.

Leaning tower of Pisa?

That thing should be renamed the OMG IT REALLY IS ****ING LEANING!1111 Tower of Pisa. Couldn't believe it when I saw it - I expected it to be on a bit of a slant, but Jesus wept, it's about to topple over.

Did you get your necessary "Look im holding it up!!!11" picture?.  tongue.gif

http://bonetumor.org/bologna/pisa/henTowers.jpg

Guest Gemmill

tongue.gif Couldn't get near it cos they were doing work on it to try and stop it falling over.  My offers to push it back up straight a la Superman were turned down by the ungrateful Italian bastards.

When I went there must have only been about 30 people getting that same (or similar) photo taken at any one time. Pisa is definitely worth seeing though (along with Florence) if you're in the area.

Guest Gemmill

When I went there must have only been about 30 people getting that same (or similar) photo taken at any one time. Pisa is definitely worth seeing though (along with Florence) if you're in the area.

I was only in Pisa for a couple of days and it was absolutely pissing down - stair rods, streets deserted - the whole time.  Florence was nice, but I thought it was a bit manky.  Siena was lovely though.

I was only in Pisa for a couple of days and it was absolutely pissing down - stair rods, streets deserted - the whole time. Florence was nice, but I thought it was a bit manky. Siena was lovely though.

All nice  :thup:. But if your stuck for somewhere to go on holiday.. go to Messina in Sicily. Gawwjuss  bluebiggrin.gif

I was only in Pisa for a couple of days and it was absolutely pissing down - stair rods, streets deserted - the whole time.  Florence was nice, but I thought it was a bit manky.  Siena was lovely though.

Sienna's class, where you there for the race?

San Gimignano's pretty good and all, if you watch out for the bloke in a deck chair on top of his own personal tower.