2014 World Cup qualifiers

Stifler

Pot 1: Japan, Australia, South Korea, Iran, China

Pot 2: Unbekistan, Qatar, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait

Pot 3: Bahrain, Syria, Oman, Iraq, UAE

Pot 4: North Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Lebanon

The Asian pots if anybody cares.

Nailed on to get fucking North Korea again. Can't believe they're in the same pot as those other four. :facepalm:

No Japan, South Korea or Australia please. Iran, Jordan, Syria and us. Please. We have a shot if we get that group. But ironically if we get a good group, it's four years too early. We've got a lot of good kids but they need time and we need a stable coaching system and infrastructure. At least the local league is becoming more and more popular so the quality of the players is improving.

Speaks volumes when the Southeast Asia teams are in the last pot. At least we'll avoid DPR Korea who should be in a stronger pot. ROK or Japan can have them for 2 interesting ties instead. :D

China from pot 1 will be the best option. Naturally look to avoid the Uzbeks and Saudis from pot 2. Not that I'll fancy our chances anyway considering this is only our 2nd time in round 3.

I've got a bad feeling about this year. We've got extremely talented attacking players but no settled back-four and no leadership. We'd probably make it out of this stage even if we got something absurd like Qatar-Iraq-North Korea, but the stage is set for us to end up in the same final qualifying group as Japan and lose a match that will inflict scars upon the Korean football fan's psyche for the next decade.

Where are you from?

Singapore. We are the true minnows at this stage of the competition. The last time we met Uzbekistan at the same stage at home, we lost 3-7. So I'll be realistic and happy if we can put in a few good performances or so. The National Stadium with a capacity of 55,000 was torn down to make way for a new Sports Hub so we'll have to play our matches at the intimidating 6,000-seat Jalan Besar Stadium. :D Still the best match/ result so far was the win over our archrivals Malaysia (5-3, 1-1).

Sadly the region (Southeast Asia) is still far behind the rest of Asia.

How about you? Where're you from?

We're nailed on to get France seeing how we nicked their spot in the first pot and the press was all "Now we'll avoid the pot one teams, wooo!" whilst not bothering thinking about the fact that one of the pot one teams would be in pot two. :lol:

Where are you from?

Singapore. We are the true minnows at this stage of the competition. The last time we met Uzbekistan at the same stage at home, we lost 3-7. So I'll be realistic and happy if we can put in a few good performances or so. The National Stadium with a capacity of 55,000 was torn down to make way for a new Sports Hub so we'll have to play our matches at the intimidating 6,000-seat Jalan Besar Stadium. :D Still the best match/ result so far was the win over our archrivals Malaysia (5-3, 1-1).

Sadly the region (Southeast Asia) is still far behind the rest of Asia.

How about you? Where're you from?

Watched the Malaysia game on Youtube the other day, amazing that Aleksandar Duric is still going strong.

Aye, if there's a model pro, Duric is one. He's coming to 41 soon and is still one of the top strikers in the league and NT. Takes care of his body like a footballer should, nee bad habits or controversy. Previous naturalised strikers - Egmar Goncalves (Brazil), Mirko Grabovac (Croatia) - didn't manage to take their league scoring exploits to the NT. He did and proved to be one of the big success of the Foreign Talent Scheme. Will love him to stay in Singapore in a coaching/ managing capacity after he eventually retires. :thup:

In fact, Duric has a pretty amazing story (hitchhike his way to the Olympics when he was younger I believe).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Duric

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1286130.html

Not to mention him being the oldest debutant for Singapore at age 37. :D

Aye, if there's a model pro, Duric is one. He's coming to 41 soon and is still one of the top strikers in the league and NT. Takes care of his body like a footballer should, nee bad habits or controversy. Previous naturalised strikers - Egmar Goncalves (Brazil), Mirko Grabovac (Croatia) - didn't manage to take their league scoring exploits to the NT. He did and proved to be one of the big success of the Foreign Talent Scheme. Will love him to stay in Singapore in a coaching/ managing capacity after he eventually retires. :thup:

In fact, Duric has a pretty amazing story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandar_Duric . Not to mention him being the oldest debutant for Singapore at age 37. :D

Yeah, he's a pretty bizarre story. Canoed for Bosnia at the 1992 Olympics, Singaporean international footballer at 37.  :laugh:

From the 2nd link I've added

A 21-year-old tied the shoelaces on his walking boots, flung a crammed backpack over his shoulders, and departed the flat at which he was residing in southern Hungary. He trekked for approximately three miles before a truck responded to his outstretched arm. It was one of multiple vehicles that would enable him to hitch-hike 1,500-plus kilometres towards Barcelona.

Weary-legged and sleep-deprived, the youngster, who, less than a year earlier in 1991, fled the war-torn former Yugoslavia with chump change in his pocket and nowhere to stay – he was only spared sleeping rough by the grace of a local family - arrived at passport control. “I didn’t have a valid passport because of the Bosnian war,” explained Aleksandar Duric to FIFA.com.

“All I had was a letter from the Olympic Committee stating that I was participating at the Barcelona Olympics. But when I handed it to the officer he burst out laughing. He couldn’t believe that a competitor would have to hitch-hike to the Olympics, and refused to believe I was who I said I was.”

:D