Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

I think he's shit, but I disagree with others.  I think he has ability, actually looks good running with the ball and doesn't strike a ball that badly (barring crosses of course).

However, my problem with him is that he has a cranium the size of a small planet and a brain the size of a pea.  His heart is even smaller, bottles everything and doesn't put a shift in.  He literally doesn't know what's going on around him on the pitch, reacts slowly to everything and never knows when to release the ball.  If there was a top ten table for 'running the ball into blind alleys' he would win hands down.

Cheeky fucker is talking up his chances of playing against Norwich in today's Journal  :lol:

I find him frustrating to watch but still believe there could be a player in there somewhere... I keep reminding myself how woeful the late Gary Speed was when he signed for us and managed to turn it around in his second season... Hoping our patience will be similarly rewarded... Time will tell...

Guest Deadmau5

“On Monday it was a different position for me. I felt I did OK – I tried to do what the manager had asked me to do.

“I stayed back in midfield more and was asked to cut off the play to their wingers as much as possible. I did the best I could, unfortunately we lost, but that is football

For such duties I`d rather start Guthrie,  Obertan is a nuissance at best if thats how we are going to play him.

An Obertan deployed deep and on cut-off duty isn`t going to work.

“On Monday it was a different position for me. I felt I did OK – I tried to do what the manager had asked me to do.

“I stayed back in midfield more and was asked to cut off the play to their wingers as much as possible. I did the best I could, unfortunately we lost, but that is football

For such duties I`d rather start Guthrie,  Obertan is a nuissance at best if thats how we are going to play him.

An Obertan deployed deep and on cut-off duty isn`t going to work.

Guthrie has the lungs of a 70 year-old asthmatic though. 

Would honestly have had Gosling in there rather than Obertan. He could keep it simple and give it to Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Jonas etc when he gets the ball, but more importantly when we weren't in possession he could have been hassling the Arsenal midfield and trying to break up their play.

Guest neesy111

Guthrie would be good behind the striker, I think. He likes to get on the ball and make things happen

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4061/4669812732_5407c2534c_z.jpg

Interesting, Gary Neville was saying that this was his favoured position when he was at Man United, in the middle behind the strikers

So he was played in a creative role, yet was asked to cut off the supply to their wingers? Love Pardew me.

One role with possession... One without...

I really wonder if they're compatible even with a more able player.

As mentioned before its his decision making, its incredibly sub standard. When he has space in front of him (with or without the ball) , he refuses to run into it or if he does he starts then stops. He has an uncanny habit of picking the wrong pass aswell. Seems to lack the confidence to get that brain of his working, if indeed he has one.

Why he started last monday is anyone's guess, wethere Pardew thought his pace would give there defence issues, who knows.

Worth noting we signed him aswell during a period when our activity was a little quiet, sorta gives it the slant of one we got over the line to appease the fans.

• 2 weeks later...