What's happened to the Dyer detractors?

Syrette

The only criticism I've ever had is that he was never fit. When he is fit he is a very good player.

It's just a case of keeping him fit, I'd even rest him for Frankfurt on Thursday even though we don't play again until next Wednesday as I'd hate to see him get injured in a nothing game.

I would rest Dyer, Zoggy and 2 or 3 others on thursday. Not worth the risk. We want to win our league games at home against Reading, Watford, then go into the Chelsea cup game on a high and give it our best shot.

In regards to his off the field problems, has he really done anything that most of us wouldn't have done in our lifetime or would have liked to have done?

Considering Bellamy has been accused of hitting women when out on the p*ss on more than one occasion is suprises me how he is seen by some as a legend and Dyer is some devil!

Fair enough Bellamy gave us more on the pitch but the usual excuse for him is "i don't care what he does off the pitch as long as he is doing it on it" where as Dyer is the subject of a witch hunt if he has a drunken piss in the streets or a hotel room he didnt even use but was booked in his name is subject to a police investigation!

His part in the sacking of Sir Bobby is enough for me, his refusal to play at Boro was shocking.

Agree totally. Should have been horse-whipped. Arrogant little twat.

Average player who had a good game today. No better now than when he signed though - just considerably richer. Has never given value for money. It would be scary to think how much he's cost us in wages, transfer fees, signing-on fees and bonuses in the 8 seasons he's been up here.  bluebigeek.gif

I worked it out at something like £22m so far, and £32m at the end of his contract, going off reported earnings and used NUFC.cock for when those new deals were signed. Was all guess work like, i started a thread a while back.

Rest Dyer for next game, absolutely.  He has changed for the better.  Money or not there have been many times he would not have bothered let alone run into the advertising boards.  Commited and showing he cares.

Guest Gemmill

Dyer average? give me a break! He's class. I'm so happy that Dyer is back in form!

Please list the things he's 'class' at doing. i.e. tackling, heading, shooting, finishing etc.

He's class at making us look like a totally different team.  How about that?  Honestly, if you can't see the contribution Dyer makes to the team, you may as well give up watching football.  Average players don't make that big a difference to a Premiership side.

Two games doesn't mean we have turned the corner with Dyer but the signs are very encouraging. Its obvious when he plays and is on form for us we are a different team. He was a breath of fresh air at times today. Excellent pass for Martins goal that was chalked off.

I used to be a big Dyer fan but got more and more frustrated with him, I probably even wrote him off as an effective player for I just hope this stint continues. If he carries on playing the way he is and stays fit beyond Christmas then there is no doubt he will make the England squad.

Towards the end of Sir Bobby's reign, Dyer was the weak link in our side - the player that needed to be replaced in the regular first XI by a £10m attacking midfielder (but still kept in the squad and given 20 starts a season) if we wanted to bridge that final gap. Robson obviously saw him as the expendable player in his final days, and Dyer threw his toys out of the pram and betrayed Sir Bobby against Boro.

Souness made the team worse, and at the level of team Souness had created, Dyer's attributes made him one to stand out, and the same can be said of him now, although I reckon his injuries will make him try to improve himself a little, and make him a better professional.

Dyer can only play as well as Kieron Dyer plays. His performances are irrespective to the standard produced by the rest of the team. He will always be a star for any team outside the top 4, and a very good squad player for anyone above that.

Right now, it is great to have him fit and willing for us.

Towards the end of Sir Bobby's reign, Dyer was the weak link in our side - the player that needed to be replaced in the regular first XI by a £10m attacking midfielder (but still kept in the squad and given 20 starts a season) if we wanted to bridge that final gap. Robson obviously saw him as the expendable player in his final days, and Dyer threw his toys out of the pram and betrayed Sir Bobby against Boro.

Souness made the team worse, and at the level of team Souness had created, Dyer's attributes made him one to stand out, and the same can be said of him now, although I reckon his injuries will make him try to improve himself a little, and make him a better professional.

Dyer can only play as well as Kieron Dyer plays. His performances are irrespective to the standard produced by the rest of the team. He will always be a star for any team outside the top 4, and a very good squad player for anyone above that.

Right now, it is great to have him fit and willing for us.

Spot on.

He had a decent game today and his pace makes us look better, but his final ball and his finishing are poor (don't try and tell me that was a good save by James as Dyer should have burst the net fropm that range) and he goes missing for long periods of games, popping up for 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there.

Dyer average? give me a break! He's class. I'm so happy that Dyer is back in form!

Please list the things he's 'class' at doing. i.e. tackling, heading, shooting, finishing etc.

He's class at making us look like a totally different team.  How about that?  Honestly, if you can't see the contribution Dyer makes to the team, you may as well give up watching football.  Average players don't make that big a difference to a Premiership side.

Energy and movement are his strengths.

He can't tackle, can't shoot, can't finish (consistently) and can't head the ball. He can't take a set-piece and isn't a threat from them. He can spot a pass and retain possession and is ok at laying the ball off.

The fact he makes us look like a different team says far more about the 10 other players than it does about him imo.

If you rate him then fair enough. I just think he's limited. Not shit - just very ordinary. Has the same qualities as a middle-distance runner.

and he goes missing for long periods of games, popping up for 5 minutes here and 10 minutes there.

Didn't really notice that today, but it is something N'zogbia does a hell of alot.

I agree actually. Swear he goes off the pitch sometimes, just seems to dissapear for big periods.

The fact that two okay performances (in the main, as there were some chunks of play where he disappeared totally), and people seem to think Dire is a fantastic player.

He's a very average player, i'd never say he had no ability. But he's good at running fast and providing no end product, and thats about it.

Dyer plays alright and its "Dyer For England, He's World Class".  bluelaugh.gif

Guest smoggeordie

Was much improved when he moved out to the right. Got in behind the fullbacks and played some delightful balls accross. Nobby has to stay at RB, phenominal again and their link up was superb.

Guest optimistic nit

new craig bellamy tbh. he's the only player keeping us out the the relegation zone so he'll be out in jan most likely.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've disliked him for years, but it's subsided in the last few months and for the last few weeks I've been dying to have him back and today it was easy to see why.

I felt like having a little cry when he was lying by the advertising hoardings looking like he might be off for another long holiday, breathed a huge sigh of relief when he came back on.

I've disliked him for years, but it's subsided in the last few months and for the last few weeks I've been dying to have him back and today it was easy to see why.

I felt like having a little cry when he was lying by the advertising hoardings looking like he might be off for another long holiday, breathed a huge sigh of relief when he came back on.

aaawwwww Bless :D

The fact that two okay performances (in the main, as there were some chunks of play where he disappeared totally), and people seem to think Dire is a fantastic player.

He's a very average player, i'd never say he had no ability. But he's good at running fast and providing no end product, and thats about it.

no end product,.....through ball for martins(onside)cut back for emre.and scared them every time he ran forward, and after best part of a year out.if dyer plays most week like he did today with others up to it,we'll be fine.

Took your time!

Wullie has a heart! Who would have believed it?