Different forms of martial arts and suchlike

Fatwax

I've been considering taking up some kind of martial art as some extra fitness but I'm really not sure what as I've never done anything like it before. I did a very small amount of boxing when I was younger but never much more than sparring.

What martial arts have people on this board done? I know very little about the different kinds. Cheers.

I did alot of judo when I was younger. Not technically a marshal art, is actually a sport and is basically Ju Jitsu without punches or kicks so you can compete without (badly) smashing each other in. Is outstanding fitness training if you do it right.  Involves strength, fitness and stamina, and the sessions are some of the best phys I have ever done. Stopped doing it when I snapped my arm though!

I remember doing karate when I was little and it was turbo dog wank.

If you want to learn to really fuck people up, do Krav Maga, if you enjoy shit on your cock, do Capiero, the gayest thing ever.

I've been considering taking up some kind of martial art as some extra fitness but I'm really not sure what as I've never done anything like it before. I did a very small amount of boxing when I was younger but never much more than sparring.

What martial arts have people on this board done? I know very little about the different kinds. Cheers.

More important to find a genuine teacher, one that understands the whole field and not some jackass that that just wants to be able to maim everyone else.

Personally I'd suggest Fong Yang due to their adaptabilty and utilisation of different styles. But you'd be lucky to find a decent sensai, there was only one in the UK that I knew about nearly 20 years ago. Might have changed.

Any genuine Chinese style is your best bet, seriously avoid Japanese versions as they never understood and cut out everything but the martial aspects in most cases.

Also some Indian styles are well worth pursuing but see above re: finding an appropriate teacher.

I'd be open to anything I reckon really, I just don't know if things like kick boxing fall into this category. I suppose something that gets me superfit appeals a bit more than for the sake of being some sort of bastardized Steven  type. It's something I've thought of for a bit but have no idea where to start.

I fancied doing summik for a while, i need some danger in my life. IT does not offer me this.

I need danger, i crave it at the moment.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmg10vvS1U1qjjxxno1_500.jpg

O0

Kung-Fu, obviously.  This is shamefully copied from a previous life.

Quite simply the best one to do, trains the mind, body and trains against all other martial arts.  Ultimately, depends what you're looking for.  If you're not interested in peace of mind and just want to be able to kick fuck out of someone, then it really doesn't matter which one you choose as they'll all teach you to a higher level than your average person.  If you want a lifestyle change, something to dedicate yourself to and literally change all the aspects of your life I'd suggest Shaolin Kung-fu and with it Chi-kung. 

Unlike the majority of other martial arts though, you need no particular physical strength, height advantages or need to be agile.  All the movements are considered 'unnatural' and as such you spend at least 3 months retraining your whole body to a completely different set of dynamics.  It's hard work, but it's enjoyable and, in the end, fruitful.  It teaches you to use inner strength (Chi), and you will never have to use force (as we understand it), there's no aggression taught and even though you are taught how to, more or less, kill people we constantly preach the art as a form of defence. 

If you want to research it before you take the plunge, search for Sifu Wong-Kiew Kit, he's the Grandmaster of my institute. 

Just like the army.

That Kung Fu thing is the gayest thing I have ever read. And if you want to see how Gay the Army is, come round my place and say that to my face. Either your face or your arse will be bleeding, you decide.

Fucking hell.

:lol: