Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

France Soir reporting that Le Progres (Lyon's local newspaper) are reporting (are you following?) there is an agreement between the clubs for a 9 million transfer. Can't find anything on the Progres website though, and the France Soir article is 2 hours old..

Source: http://www.francesoir.fr/sport/football/transfert-le-psg-relance-la-piste-tevez-cissokho-vers-newcastle-174171.html

No online version of the article in 'Le Progres'?

As I said, none that I can find.

Guest pont-toon

France Soir reporting that Le Progres (Lyon's local newspaper) are reporting (are you following?) there is an agreement between the clubs for a 9 million transfer. Can't find anything on the Progres website though, and the France Soir article is 2 hours old..

Source: http://www.francesoir.fr/sport/football/transfert-le-psg-relance-la-piste-tevez-cissokho-vers-newcastle-174171.html

the article is a couple of days old

It's bollocks.

Bit harsh Sewelly, I just found an article confirming nuts source

More like an article regurgitating his original source.

wasn't the original, original source saying was going to have a medical, this latest one (as in the journos on the tv prog) saying he is undergoing a medical. maybe lost in translation but the reports from rtl seemed more definite.

Yeah, that's what the article says, that he's "in the process of having his medical at NUFC".

Not holding my breath though....

FWIW I have no doubt we're interested, but I can't see us agreeing on a fee any time soon.

I wish we'd get a backup CB and a striker first and foremost, as much as I'd love two excellent full-backs losing either CB would kill us.

the article is a couple of days old

You're right..  :blush: Fucking google news suggesting it was 2 hours old..

A new left back is a luxury, a centre back is essential.

Agree with this, add in a forward.

That being said, I can't say I am not excited about the prospect of having two pacey, attacking full backs who will not only improve our defence (and add a bit of pace where all of our centre backs are pretty laboured) but will offer so much more down the wings.

Imagine having to face Jonas, Cissokho, Ben Arfa and Santon down either wing. I wouldn't want us up against that anyway!

Agree, but frankly i think we should be getting both......

Just imagining our fullback choices going from Simpson and Raylor to Santon and Cissokho is down right amazing.....

As for the forward i dont want us rushing a deal just because Ba is away( who will be back in 3 and a half weeks maximum)......

Also considering the fixtures i think we have enough to get by until Ba gets back.

I would prefer us to get a Centre Back and a Fullback in January and sign the Striker and who ever else in the summer.

Fullbacks are certainly essential IMO, Simpson and Taylor are not very good.

At least we have numbers there. If anything happens to Willicini, we have nothing at all (Perch doesn't count). So I mean yeah, a left back would be great and we need one this summer, but right now it has to be a centre back.

Think if we were in for cissokho he would be an "early summer" transfer. Still think we will pick up a young cb. More likely to be a cheaper option like dunk than Yanga-Mbiwa or Vertonghen if we spend a bunch on cissokho. Early summer signing or not I don't think we will spend a lot this window.

The Journal say we have completely denied being in contact with Lyon.

This is getting strange. Alex Ferguson says we bid for Morrison... we deny it. Cissokho says we bid for him... we deny it.

Are we denying everything, or are we genuinely not interested in these players?

It would have been easier for the Journall to simply right  'we know sweet FA'

This is getting strange. Alex Ferguson says we bid for Morrison... we deny it. Cissokho says we bid for him... we deny it.

Just speculating here, but given Pardew's recent remarks, i.e. about wanting to keep our cards close to our chest, that the club are following Hughton's old tactic of 'deny everything'. By that means:

- Fans won't have preconceived expectations as to who's coming in/out - thus staving off pressure that would otherwise be placed on the club.

- It might work to the club's advantage in so far as they can get deals done on the quiet without alerting others clubs to players' availability.

Could be wrong mind, but if this is a deliberate ploy, it's working, because I'm expecting no-one to come in.

We are just trying to hide our intentions.

Make sense really. Not a good negotiation strategy to tell the world who we are bidding for.

Better to deny and avoid other clubs to be aware of who we try do buy.

Reminds me of the Blackadder episode where Blackadder is in court for shooting a carrier pigeon:

"Deny everything Baldrick!"

"Is your name Baldrick!"

"No!"

"Come on Baldrick - it's me!"

"No it isn't!"