Valencia signs Aly Cissokho

Guest pont-toon

Is he reading goal.com and believing it?

We have done really well to keep our transfer business private, you would think if there had been contact with him he would have been told to stay quiet about the move.

Am I the only mug with a feint hope this might happen?

I have previously stated a centre back should be ahead of a full back and I still believe that but the sake of our first choice 11..

Krul

Santon    Williamson  Colo  Cissokho

HBA        Cabaye      Tiote    Jonas

Ba        Cisse

:love:

I wouldn't rule anything out right now. The Cisse transfer has blown everything wide open. Not since the Coloccini signing has Ashley shown any real ambition in the transfer market and £10m on a 26 year old is no small investment because there's no guarantee we'll get any of it back. Maybe Branson is behind it, who knows? I can't imagine he'd want to be associated with anything other than a successful club so if that's the case this could easily still happen.

I have previously stated a centre back should be ahead of a full back and I still believe that but the sake of our first choice 11..

Krul

Ba        Cisse

I wouldn't rule anything out right now. The Cisse transfer has blown everything wide open. Not since the Coloccini signing has Ashley shown any real ambition in the transfer market and £10m on a 26 year old is no small investment because there's no guarantee we'll get any of it back. Maybe Branson is behind it, who knows? I can't imagine he'd want to be associated with anything other than a successful club so if that's the case this could easily still happen.

To be fair, this is basically just the money we had earmarked for Maiga anyway.

Krul

Ba        Cisse

True but Maiga was being bought as a saleable asset, it will be a lot harder getting money back for Cisse unless we flog him within a year or two. Also my impression was that with Taylor getting crocked the Maiga money would go on a defender.

Krul

Ba        Cisse

True but Maiga was being bought as a saleable asset, it will be a lot harder getting money back for Cisse unless we flog him within a year or two. Also my impression was that with Taylor getting crocked the Maiga money would go on a defender.

That is a valid point. I guess that does allow you to read into his motivations a bit if you look at it that way.

Basically this is just the part of the Carroll money that was earmarked for a replacement that was supposed to be spent in the summer and then was supposed to be spent on Maiga.

So umm... Thanks Liverpool.

Douglas: #nufc have told Cissokho & his people they won't be bidding for him. But his camp are convinced they will: hence the confusion...

Our transfer business is now so secretive that we tell players we want to sign that we're not interested.

Hopefully we get him... I'd be over the moon... But I guess only if he WANTS to come too... Thats the great thing about the Cisse deal... To do a 24hr round trip from Dakar and subsequent quotes shows a great attitude to work with... Fingers crossed we push the boat out again and maybe pickup Morrison and a young CH... Would be a fantastic window...

Guest VaVaVoom

How much do they want for him? Is it 8mil?

Apparently we still have the 8mil budget left as the Cisse deal was money set aside for a "special" player.

Get Cissokho in and then a CB on loan with a view to permanent. Win win.

Guest Roger Kint

Thats not going to happen though so its not really win-win.

How much do they want for him? Is it 8mil?

Apparently we still have the 8mil budget left as the Cisse deal was money set aside for a "special" player.

There was rumours of a CB on loan this morning so that might be do-able.

Guest Roger Kint

Cheap but very good option would be to bring in Clyne instead and keep Santon at LB. Been mentioned quite a few times' i know.

If we have this rumoured £8m would rather Clyne &/or another young CB and give the rest to Colo's contract fund depending whether Clyne came this window or next.

Cheap but very good option would be to bring in Clyne instead and keep Santon at LB. Been mentioned quite a few times' i know.

If we have this rumoured £8m would rather Clyne &/or another young CB and give the rest to Colo's contract fund depending whether Clyne came this window or next.

Same here. Clyne, Dunk and a Colo contract :thup:

The more quotes that are coming from Lyon about "no contact being made" and the repeated use of "Newcastle are interested", the more I'm sure that this one is definitely a no go.

But like TRon said, shouldn't be ruled out if the Cisse transfer is anything to go by - anything can happen.

^ Yeah this could end up being the better option, saves up some money to buy a young, up and coming CB.

Guest palnese

If we sign some cover for centre back (ideally a youngster) and don't sell anyone then I'll be delighted with this transfer window. I don't see us signing any more than one more player.

Agree with that. I wonder how much there is left of the Carroll money?

Is it back to sell-before-you-buy in the summer, or do we still have some left?

I know they have been bitching about agent fees and an increased wage bill, but you would think there is a few mill left.

Getting rid of Smith and Xisco should at least free up about 70-100k a week.