Newcastle United 0-0 Arsenal - 13/8/11 - post match reaction from p33

Beren

Btw I have to give a bit of credit to the club for the ground improvements this summer. The pitch was gorgeous, that wraparound advertising hoarding actually looks very pretty - especially the Northern Rock ads (though it was really bright and I can see them turning it down to save brass) - and the striped nets are a nice touch. Even better from our new seat as well because you can't see the Sports Direct wank daubed on the Gallowgate.

£30m well spent. :thup:

Guest bimpy474

MOTD was so biased in their highlights, didnt show one NUFC attack, just showed a load of wasted Arsenal possession

Noticed that, best players on the pitch were ours (Saylor for me), defenders admittedly but not a mention, absolute crock of shite.

Btw I have to give a bit of credit to the club for the ground improvements this summer. The pitch was gorgeous, that wraparound advertising hoarding actually looks very pretty - especially the Northern Rock ads (though it was really bright and I can see them turning it down to save brass) - and the striped nets are a nice touch. Even better from our new seat as well because you can't see the Sports Direct w*** daubed on the Gallowgate.

Looked rather special today. They need to bring back the electronic clocks in the corners though.

Btw I have to give a bit of credit to the club for the ground improvements this summer. The pitch was gorgeous, that wraparound advertising hoarding actually looks very pretty - especially the Northern Rock ads (though it was really bright and I can see them turning it down to save brass) - and the striped nets are a nice touch. Even better from our new seat as well because you can't see the Sports Direct w*** daubed on the Gallowgate.

Looked rather special today. They need to bring back the electronic clocks in the corners though.

Pardew outlawed them because they put the players off or something.

Guest WashyGeordie

Pardew out, tbh.

That's mental. Teams with a scoreboard must have some severe ADD.

Need to buy a watch now.

Need to buy a watch now.

Especially when the video advertising hoardings are far more distracting. :lol:

Krul 6 - Solid. Did what he had to when asked.

Simpson 5 - Struggled for me today, still doesn't show players down the line as much as he should.

S. Taylor 6.5 - The odd mistake, but did well overall.

Colo 8 - Outstanding, superb in every department today.

R. Taylor 5.5 - Had difficulty handling Gervinho but I think he did ok on the whole.

Barton 6.5 - Decent enough, but showed how much we need him out there, gets under the skins of opposition teams big time.

Tiote 7 - Not his best game, but he did lots of covering for both full backs when Arsenal counter attacked.

Cabaye 6 - Should have scored, still a tidy game and looked sexy as fuck in that shirt.

Jonas 6 - Didn't take people on as much as I'd have liked, but kept possession well as he always does.

Shola 5 - Decent shift with not much service and decent hold up play.

Ba 5 - See Shola but slightly more active.

Subs

Obertan 6 - That run to beat Sagna to the ball :fwap: Looked lively and will definitely have an impact against lesser teams.

Best 5 - Busy enough, should really start ahead of Shola if we're gonna play 4-4-2

Lovenkrands 5 - Pointless sub, why was he on the bench ahead of Vuckic?

Pardew 6 - Decent first game back, the Obertan sub was the right move, will be interesting to see what he goes with for the derby. Hopefully Pieters will be signed and ready to go by then.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Our set pieces were awful today; same old, same old

???

They were poor, and have been poor for a long time. Hopefully Cabaye solves the problem.

I think Cabaye only took one corner. Hopefully Pards will have a word.

Krul bar one occasion where he should've punched looked assured (couple of dodgy kicks but he got better as the game went on).

Taylor and Colo were both good, Colo obviously top notch as usual.  Taylor did well except his little run from CB that failed and ended up with a rubbish dive.  :lol: Raylor didn't do as bad as everyone said he would and got better as the game went on.

Cabaye and Tiote did well in the middle.  Anyone slagging off Cabaye is mental, he obviously did what Pardew told him to do which was to stay deep the majority of the time.  Jonas wasn't great going forward but tracked back really well and made some quality interceptions.

Shola did well I thought, obviously a lot of people formulate their opinions before the game starts but I thought he did a fair bit better then Ba and better than Best.  Best tries to play of the shoulder of the defender but doesn't have the pace, he's cumbersome like Shola a lot of time, I agree he's not very quick at all.  He did work hard though but I just don't think he's the answer to much, we need a forward who can get in behind, Best to similar to Shola and Ba..   Ba is still getting to grips with playing with the team and I'm sure he'll improve as time goes by.

We drew with Arsenal ffs, no matter how bad people think the performance was (which wasn't that bad) it is a very good result!

Need to buy a watch now.

He meant in that we saw it was 90th minute and lost concentration and conceded lots of late goals.

Need to buy a watch now.

He meant in that we saw it was 90th minute and lost concentration and conceded lots of late goals.

Tedious excuse like. I'm fairly certain any team of note in the world has scoreboards.

Krul – Some good saves, but didn't look secure at times. 5

Simpson – One of his best games for us in PL imo, excellent first half. 7

Saylor – Good performance except for his retarded offensive runs which almost cost us a goal. 7

Coloccini – Just massive, world class performance from a world class defender. 9

Raylor – Did better then i expected. He was caught out of postion by Gervinho in the first half, and  Gervinho also dribbled throught him easy plenty of times.. Solid second half.  5

Barton -  Not his best game, but provides good entertainment. 6

Cabaye – Looked OK, not great but not bad either. Think he will need a few games before we see the real Cabaye. 6

Tiote -  Worked his ass off and saved the backs when they were out of position plenty of time. Good solid performance as usual. 8

Gutierrez – Good at keeping the ball as usual and going forward. 6

Demba ba – Hardly got any chances and wasn't near the ball much. 3

Shola Ameobi – Earns plenty of free kicks and his first touches were better than usual. 6

Obertan – Some good runs and shows his impressive pace, his work rate is abysmal however.

He shows good potential and will probably be sold too Liverpool this winter for £35m. 6

Leon Best – Tries some good runs but doesn't get anything out of it. Should have started instead of Shola IMO.  5

Lovenkrands – Why Pardew . Why? I know we pushed for a goal but bringing him on just makes is 10v10 again... Would rather have seen Gosling in some kind of AM role. 3

Wenger

Does not understand ze red card...

Barton went to the 4th official for nothing.

Lying f***ing frog c***

I agree with you the shit that he sprouts in post-match interviews pisses me off too.  However I really don't see why you needed to include the 'frog' part to your post considering there are some french users on the board and of course half of our team is French .. 

Krul - 6 - Was dependable enough when called upon. Erratic kicking.

Simpson - 6.5 - Played well, didn't do his usual backing off trick.

Taylor - 7 - Very solid.

Colo - 8 - Some fantastic reading of the game. Great player and MOTM.

R.Taylor - 6.5 - Not as bad as I was expecting, played alright. Credit where it's due.

Barton - 5 - Poor set pieces and wasn't involved much bar the drama.  

Cabaye - 5.5 - Some lovely snappy passing but wasn't utilised anywhere near enough. Tried hard and kept his position well enough.

Tiote - 5.5 - Off the boil with his passing, got some good tackles in.

Jonas - 7 - Did a fantastic job protecting Taylor but didn't get forward enough but that's most likely down to our tactics.

Ba - 5 - Some good, some bad. Didn't really play to his strengths at all.

Shola - 5.5 - The lad is just always on his heels and behind the play. Caught offside a fair bit too. Held the play up well at time.

Best - 6 - Ran around a bit and nearly sent through, would've been a great chance if he'd reacted quicker.

Obertan - 7 - In and out of the game but looked skillful and quick. The back heel was great.

Loven - 5 - Didn't do much.

I thought it was obvious that Pards went for the 'something is better than nothing' approach. We were very disciplined, which was great to see but we made very minimal effort to attack. Some players were more concerned about not breaking shape and didn't move forward but I fully expect Pardew to have told them not to. It made sense with it being the opening game (against tough opposition) and us having a very patchy defence. We frustrated them by not pressuring them and plugging the space they like to exploit, it was pretty effective and limited them to half chances and crosses which they were never going to win.  

Nevertheless, a solid start. Let's see us play to our strengths next week and knock the ball about, feeling optimistic about our chances.

Guest icemanblue

I've just got in, so this has probably been discussed already, but can anyone confirm, that little lad at half time was called Shola yeah? I wasn't hearing things? :lol:

Aye. :lol:

0-0 is a good result imo. Arsenal were the better team overall so to get a draw is brilliant.

We improved in the second half which was positive to see.

Coloccini was a rock in defence, seriously we are f***ed if he leaves.