This new style of play, tactic, formation is...?

Guest MrSundlofer

Guest MrSundlofer

Alan Pardew has talked about a new style of play, a new tactic, a new formation for this season... But do we know what it is? And will it work?

I think he will build his team around two players: Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa.

Hatem Ben Arfa can play as a playmaker in the hole just behind the striker, and on the left and right wing = works very well in a 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 and maybe also in a 4-4-2 formation.

Pardew talked about Ben Arfa in April: “He will play a central role in our attacking line. I want to use him as a playmaker, a number 10, just behind one forward.”

Yohan Cabaye was excellent at Lille last season and they played a 4-3-3 formation with 3 central midfielders. I'm unsure how he works in a 4-4-2. His first test for us in a 4-4-2 was today against Arsenal and he got tired after 65 minutes. If it depends on the 4-4-2 formation or if he's not match fit, I don't know.

I understand why Pardew played a 4-4-2 formation against Arsenal today, with Ameobi and Ba to put pressure on the Arsenal defenders. But it didn't work very well. Gabriel Obertan then entered the pitch at half time and was exciting but was later placed at right midfield. Didn't understand that. He's not a right midfielder in a 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1. He's perfect in a 4-3-3 formation, as a right winger, not a right midfielder.

The same thing with Sylvain Marveaux, I think he can be excellent in a 4-3-3 formation. Higher up the pitch in a more direct style of play.

I think Pardew will mix it up and play 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1 and 4-3-3 depending on who is available for selection.

We will probably see this formation a lot:

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9285/nufc442.jpg

It can be both a 4-4-2 and a 4-4-1-1. Two strikers or a striker and a attacking midfielder just behind the striker. Tioté and Cabaye in central midfield with Barton to the right - in the role he had last season. A similar formation we played today. However, I'm not sure Obertan and Marveaux.. and Cabaye will fit in this formation.

It would excite me if Pardew tried this instead:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2728/nufc433.jpg

Contains 3 central midfielders, 2 very attacking wingers and 1 striker. Ba, Ameobi and Best - all strong enough to be a target man. Ben Arfa, Obertan, Marveaux, Sammy Ameobi and Jonás - all has the pace and skill to play on a wing and to attack. Cabaye, Tioté,  Barton, Gosling, Guthrie, Vuckic and Smith - all capable of playing in central midfield, and if they are three we should have more possession during games.

We lack a central midfielder capable of running with the ball. Why not transform Jonás to a attacking central midfielder? Or something? He has great work rate and stamina.. So why not?

What do you think Pardew is trying to create with the new style of play? Etc...

Without Ben Arfa the massive gap between the midfield and the forwards is a worry.

I think you may be extrapolating far too much from one game, personally.

Arsenal keep a lot of possession, which meant our midfield were more entrenched than they otherwise would be. Add in lack of pre-season, lack of strategy, lack of full fitness and lack of understanding between Cabaye and Tiote... basically, I still think we can work without Ben Arfa. I bloody well hope so, anyway!

Cabaye and Tioté both seemed really deep. We had nobody to play inbetween the midfield and shitpile upfront. I think we've been hoping to build our entire side around Ben Arfa, would like to see Obertan or Vuckic or anybody playing that position behind a striker.

It's a waste of pissing time playing two of our strikers atm, especially when one of them is Ameobi.

Also, there was a lack of balance without a proper left back. Needs addressing ASAP.

I was really concerned about how we got pressured into just clearing the ball upfield in the first half. It's hard work getting the ball back from Arsenal so it's criminal to give away possession so easily. We missed Enrique badly on that score and Pardew needs to show he can get the team to follow his instructions if he wants passing football because it starts from the back. Early days though, we didn't look fully fit either.

It does seem that we're building our attack around Ben Arfa to me.

Which is a good idea IMO, I think playing centrally we'll see him cause massive problems.

It'd be useful to have a good backup plan for when he's not available though. Seems from yesterday that backup plan is put two big fuckers up front and hoof it at them and hope for the best. Would rather give Vuckic a run, or at least play someone with a bit of pace (Obertan perhaps) up there when HBA is out, which we have to be realistic may be quite a lot.

I think the formation (with all starters fit) should be more along the lines of:

O

O            O                  O              O

Tiote

Cabaye                       

O                                                  O

Ben Arfa

O

Guest MrSundlofer

Some kind of 4-2-3-1, which is what we were doing in the second half.

That should work, but we must put our wingers up higher in the pitch..  :thup:

..... s***.

Whatever you say.

Exactly the same as it was before. Nowt to worry about either way tbh.

Don't know if you are talking about his new style of play and tactic or something else... But if you are talking about his new style of play and say it will be the same as before, I think you're wrong.

Didn't understand why if 4-4-1-1 is the new vogue and with having a good pre-season why the Vuckster wasn't involved.

A strange one yes. Probably wanted to play two big target players to put pressure on the Arsenal defence.

Are people still dreaming that Jonas can play other position than left wing?...... Anywhere near the central will be a disaster!!!

Why? I think he can do a good job there. Good work rate and can run with the ball.

The opening post, Jesus wept.

Is it not good enough for you? .. :thdn: .. :thup:

I think the formation (with all starters fit) should be more along the lines of:

O

O            O                  O              O

Tiote

Cabaye                       

O                                                  O

Ben Arfa

O

That's probably the way Pardew wants it. But maybe Cabaye more defensive and Tioté closing down higher up the pitch.

Guest MrSundlofer

Cabaye defensive and Tiote higher up the pitch...?  :idiot2:

Yes?

Cabaye a deep-lying midfielder. Receiving passes from the defence.. and Tioté a little bit higher up the pitch (not much). Wasn't it some talk about this last season? Pardew want to change the stile of Tioté or something?

Krul

?      Saylor    Colo  ?

?    Tiote Cabaye  ?

HBA

?

Happy that between Barton / Marveaux / Jonas Obertan / HBA we can cover the wide slots. Ba / Best / Shola are OK for the central striker role but we need the option of a prolific pacey striker. Simo is OK at RB but I'd like an upgrade. We need a LB. After that it is about squad depth and the difference in quality between finishing 7th and finishing highr. Being kind to Saylor I think the five I've highlighted are on the basis of a team that could compete with the top 6.

..... s***.

Whatever you say.

Most of the 'football' that we played yesterday was of the 'one pass, back pass, hump' variety that would have had Allerdyce wanking himself into a frenzy - and that's when we managed to string three passes together.  Fine we were playing Arsenal, but probably the worst Arsenal team to play here in a decade and were were incapable of producing a single shot on target using this wonderful new formation that according to Pardew would lead to more possession than we had last year.