L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

The Journal

Meanwhile, United are no further towards making a breakthrough in their hunt for a second striker. A club source has rubbished links with Caen striker Youssef El-Arabi while a move for their priority target Paris Saint Germain’s Mevlut Erdinc has stalled.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/07/12/neil-taylor-pursuit-is-in-its-final-stage-for-nufc-61634-29035051/2/#ixzz1RsU2D6A1

Struggling to think of who we could be after in France.

Can't see why we wouldn't be interested in El-Arabi. He was fantastic last season - and would be the perfect partner/alternative to Ba. Very strange if true.

I imagine our French-based target will be someone like Modibo Maiga, Olivier Giroud or Loic Remy (ambitious). As for our Spanish target I'd go for Rondon, maybe someone like Pablo Osvaldo?

:snod:

I thought everyone wanted a striker with pace and can play wide of a 3? Ba will get goals.

Maiga scored goals for fun last season.

Behind a quality midfield in a high scoring team and with a good partner.

I thought everyone wanted a striker with pace and can play wide of a 3? Ba will get goals.

Maiga could probably do a job on the left of a front 3, but that it also the best position of Marveaux and arguably Ben Arfa and Obertan as well as having Ferguson and Jonas who can play there (but probably better on the left of a midfield 4) so it is hardly that much of a positive.

Guest johnson293

Have Ryder or Douglas confired or denied this yet?

Ryder has mentioned this and produced a brief chronicle article, but it just says 'reports in France claim...'

Nowt from Douglas yet (that I've seen).

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Where did this come from? Excellent news the NUFC scouts are really doing a good job this year

can't say i've heard of him to be honest but it's worrying thinking of what will happen in february, end of the transfer window and the african cup of nations...

Yep. Once again this strikes me as more opportunism than carefully coordinated planning. Irrespective of whether or not he's a good player, I just think it's ridiculous that we could once again be facing a winter of Shola-Loven-and Best, who, whilst I think is decent, hasn't exactly got a perfect fitness record.