John Obi Mikel's father found alive in Nigeria

Elbel1

Nigeria and Chelsea star John Obi Mikel's father has been kidnapped in Nigeria, according to his management.

Michael Obi has not been seen or heard from since he failed to return home from work on Friday in Jos, the capital of central Nigerian Plateau state.

"John Obi Mikel's father was abducted in Nigeria on Friday," SEM Group said on Twitter.

The player was told before Sunday's Premier League game between Chelsea and Stoke City, but decided to play.

SEM said no ransom demand had yet been received and that Obi had decided to play in the match "so as not to let down his team and family".

His family told the BBC that they have had no contact with Obi senior but believe he is "safe and well".

The Chelsea player's agent John Ola Shittu said that everybody in the family remains hopeful.

"It's been tough for the young man," Shittu said.

"The family in Jos reported him missing at the police station as expected but we're taking all necessary measures to find him."

"We've told him to be brave and to stay calm."

Shittu said the family has also not heard from anyone claiming to hold Obi senior.

Continue reading the main story

It's been tough for the young man

John Ola Shittu

John Obi Mikel's agent

Kidnappings - more often of oil workers, the rich and famous - are a common occurrence in Nigeria.

Footballers and their families are increasingly being targetted.

In July 2008, the elder brother of Nigerian and Everton defender Joseph Yobo was seized in Port Harcourt, where kidnappings for ransom are most frequent.

It was not clear if a ransom was paid but Nornu Yobo was released after being held for almost two weeks.

Didn't Oba's mum get blown up while he was playing for us?

Yes it was a terrible tragedy. Two petrol carriers collided causing a massive explosion. If I remember, she died of heart attack from the shock of the incident. His older brother, who was also a professional footballer, also passed away very recently in Nigeria from heart condition. I really feel for the guy. Outside of that Carling Cup winning goal, the boy has experienced nothing other than personal tragedy and injury/career setbacks since aroudn 2008. I hope he can make it back to where he was.

He's just been on SSN, didnt shed a tear.

Obi's a funny guy. He's always smiling when he talks, much like I always look at the ground. He may not look it, but I know these times are tough for him. The area where he is from and his father was staying was once great, but it is no longer safe. This happens all time in South America and is gaining steam in Africa. Yobo's family was endangered last year. One can only hope it is abot money and nothing more sinister. It is a testament to Mikel that he could go out and play well in a Premiership match after learning of this the same day. I hope his family is the best.

Guest guinness_fiend

Par for the course.  No-one who has read the story is remotely surprised that it has happened, so it makes you wonder why people take the risk and remain in their hometowns.  It's the price of (vicarious) fame, folks.

Par for the course.  No-one who has read the story is remotely surprised that it has happened, so it makes you wonder why people take the risk and remain in their hometowns.  It's the price of (vicarious) fame, folks.

It is not par for the course to be kidnapped, ffs.

:facepalm:

Another classic. Keep 'em coming, ignoramus.