Newcastle-Online blog?

Decky

Reading that Behind Enemy Lines thing earlier reminded me of how good the articles on the old main page used to be. There were some cracking featured articles and some good writers that IIRC still post here. Should this be brought back? I know the url links directly in to the forum, but maybe the blog could just be linked to from the menu or a section on the board that redirects to the blog. Theres plenty of web designers on here too, myself included that have experience with WordPress if the powers that be needed a hand styling it etc. Thoughts?

Reading that Behind Enemy Lines thing earlier reminded me of how good the articles on the old main page used to be. There were some cracking featured articles and some good writers that IIRC still post here. Should this be brought back? I know the url links directly in to the forum, but maybe the blog could just be linked to from the menu or a section on the board that redirects to the blog. Theres plenty of web designers on here too, myself included that have experience with WordPress if the powers that be needed a hand styling it etc. Thoughts?

If people could be arsed to do these kind of articles, why don't they just start threads with them? What's stopping them doing it?

This question comes up every now and then, and the answer is always the same. We got rid of the main site because nobody could be bothered to write anything. I see no reason to change things.

Was decided it was too much of a hassle, not enough commitment/able to make enough commitment and it just looked unprofessional having it updated now and then.

People are more than welcome to write the articles and post them on the forum.

The main site could hacked a few times too IIRC. Writing was a thankless task too. No matter how you disclaim that you're not representative of anyone other than yourself, you'll still get stick for portraying fans incorrectly. :)

Certainly see why you'd want it back though Decky O0. Pip's "Battle for 7th" thready is something pretty cool, IMO, and in another day and age of N-O probably would have been a main page feature.

I remember making loads of commitments but not having the time. I think I got a few series completed though, the Buying from Our Rivals was class and pretty much trolled the fans of 19 other clubs and contributed to some of the non-NUFC posters we have here.

However I disagree with the notion that people can just post articles on here. I would argue that if I posted an article on the front page with my full name, and posted an article on here with my 'alias' I would be more anonymous on the front page as people on here know me and therefore have a preconceived opinion.

Also it is a different audience between the front page and the forum. Someone post an article on the forum and the first reply would be: "not reading that," the second post would be "NWOAT," the third post would be: "why hasn't this gone in with the 986 page Ben Arfa thread?"

What would be better would be if the writers section of the forum was brought back (where a smaller community wrote and advised each other on articles), but instead of carrying the N-O name, individuals or small groups set up their own blogs (with technical guidance from others) and then a sticky thread would link to the bloggers of Newcastle-Online and bloggers would be encouraged to post links to their work wherever they wanted on here.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

There was talk of a podcast a few months back. What happened to that? Logistic problems?

Shouldn't have thought so.

Skype.

Headsets.

Record from sound device using an audio program of your choice.

Bit of editing.

Podcast.

Think the issue, similar to writing is:

Who will do it?

Who will maintain it?

Will anyone care beyond taking the piss out of the slightest of slights?

I think a good podcast team would be: Nixon & Sewelly. They generally seem to be aware of what's happening outside of Newcastle.

Nixon writes various things ll over the internet, and they're generally well received by the websites they're on, but as soon as a link is posted here people generally just rip the piss out of him. Might be that its just banter, but can't help but feel its just the mentality on the forum sometimes.

I'd love to write some match analysis, and coaching articles up for this place, but I suddenly think: "It won't be appreciated, people will just scold it."

There was talk of a podcast a few months back. What happened to that? Logistic problems?

Shouldn't have thought so.

Skype.

Headsets.

Record from sound device using an audio program of your choice.

Bit of editing.

Podcast.

Think the issue, similar to writing is:

Who will do it?

Who will maintain it?

Will anyone care beyond taking the piss out of the slightest of slights?

I think a good podcast team would be: Nixon & Sewelly. They generally seem to be aware of what's happening outside of Newcastle.

Nixon writes various things ll over the internet, and they're generally well received by the websites they're on, but as soon as a link is posted here people generally just rip the piss out of him. Might be that its just banter, but can't help but feel its just the mentality on the forum sometimes.

I'd love to write some match analysis, and coaching articles up for this place, but I suddenly think: "It won't be appreciated, people will just scold it."

I think you're right, unfortunately.