Can this be a good start to a good season...

Rocker

or as Crumpy would say, are we just papering over the cracks?

I'd like to think with a new LB, and a decent striker we have a very decent squad, where in the past, we've just had a decent first 11, which was constantly decimated with injuries.

Man for man, with everyone fit, we'd give any team in the division a good game, and that was evident last year with the displays against the top teams. If we can sort our home form out against the lesser sides, we'll finish top half in my opinion.

Get Ben Arfa fit and in a good place mentally, and we'll give this season a good go.

We'll still not buy anything next season either though...  :harry:

The win against s********d will be a massive boost if anything! Ben Arfa and hopefully a quality LB and striker coming in will be another boost. With some luck we'll hopefully have a good season. Fingers crossed!

The win against s********d will be a massive boost if anything! Ben Arfa and hopefully a quality LB and striker coming in will be another boost. With some luck we'll hopefully have a good season. Fingers crossed!

:smitten:

Guest Haris Vuckic

Fulham are a good team with a good manager - Sunday can really quash any positivity so be level headed.

We still have a lot of gaps and we need to spend.

Fulham are a good team with a good manager - Sunday can really quash any positivity so be level headed.

Aye. Fulham are that good that they are 2-0 behind against Wolves. :lol:

Im glad we play them at home, especially at this stage of the season.

Papering over the cracks for me!

*tin hat*

After a nightmarish pre-season, we've got two fantastic results. Another massive plus is two consecutive clean sheets.

However we haven't looked insanely threatening in open play and don't look to have much cutting edge in the final third. It's all "ifs and buts" but if the results in the performances in the opening two games had yielded losses (so basically, same performance, different result), I think people would be a lot more concerned about our squad/direction than they currently are.

Weighing that off against a shambolic pre-season, it's difficult to assess whether the performances will improve with increasing fitness, the refinement of Pardew's strategies and more understanding between new players like Cabaye and the rest of the team - or if the problem isn't one that time/tinkering will fix. I'm inclined to believe that we'll struggle long-term with the squad in its present condition though.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Aye. Fulham are that good that they are 2-0 behind against Wolves. :lol:

It doesn't mean we shouldn't respect them - they are a decent team and Wolves are currently securing their second win in two games.

To make trends and secure a good start to the season we need to think about things and not just expect to dick teams.

Guest Heneage

I think before the season started there was a lot of questions over how we'd cope without Ben Arfa. What's impressed me the most is that in spells we've held the ball and passed it very comfortably. As the new players bed in we should see a further improvement which will only be great. Then we will have hopefully two new players and Ben Arfa (Like a new signing  :troll:) coming back into the team.

I feel really good about the season, in part due to yesterday.

Too early to call at the moment.

We have games against Fulham, QPR, Villa, Blackburn & Wolves which are must-win games if we are serious about placing in the top 10. Last season we performed well against the top sides and other very-high pressure situations, but games which were for taking resulted in unwarranted complacency.

I'm not reading too much into the past performances until we face the mid-table/struggling sides. Only then can we see if we have improved since last season.

I think before the season started there was a lot of questions over how we'd cope without Ben Arfa. What's impressed me the most is that in spells we've held the ball and passed it very comfortably. As the new players bed in we should see a further improvement which will only be great. Then we will have hopefully two new players and Ben Arfa (Like a new signing  :troll:) coming back into the team.

I feel really good about the season, in part due to yesterday.

Have we?  :undecided:

Based on Pip's battle for 7th thread we need 17 points from the nine matches before Man City to stay on pace. Actually, if you include the two trips to Manchester then it's 17 from 11 games because those two are freebies.