Newcastle vs Fulham - 28/08/11 at 1:00pm (Not on TV)

Fatwax

Why are people picking Marveaux on the right?

i've also been wondering this, surely his role is to beat the full back and get some crosses in from the by line?  since no-one else in our team can do it. having said that, i've never seen him play  :lol:

this should be the game when we see nufc start to perform, get back to full fitness etc. i cant help feeling we'll be left frustrated though by a toothless performance up front. it'll be a draw imo.

How would the following formation work in he case we still dont have a left back

Krul

Coloccini

Saylor      Williamson

Raylor                Tiote          Jonas

Cabaye            Barton

Ameobi    Ba

Our results have been good, we haven't conceded a goal yet and our defence and midfield has looked prety solid (defensively) so if we do not have a new left back in why tinker with defence/midfield? Its our forward line that has looked poor and needs to be more effective.

Krul

Simpson        Colo           Saylor       Cissokho/Pieters/Raylor

Barton         Tiote           Cabaye     Jonas

Marveaux                                          

Ba

Subs: Harper, Willi, Gosling, Obertan, Best, Shola, Mehdi/vuckik/Sameobi

Got to be either 451 or 4411 in my opinion. I prefer the 4411 with Marveaux linkling the midfield and the attack (in the Ben Arfa role). Obertan is possibly better as an impact sub and wasn't very effective at all against the mackems. I'd currently start with Marveaux who scored one and made two in the reserves in his last game for us.

Lets see how Marveaux, Obertan and the youngsters (Mehdi/vuckik/Sameobi) play against scunthorpe first though (should they play).

If we play 4-2-3-1 then playing inverted wingers wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.  It doesn't matter that Marveaux didn't play there for Rennes.  Players can change positions when they move clubs!  Carr even said himself, I think, that Marveaux should be suitable for both wings.

How would the following formation work in he case we still dont have a left back

Krul

Coloccini

Saylor      Williamson

Raylor                Tiote          Jonas

Cabaye            Barton

Ameobi    Ba

Hope Pardew won't consider something like that.

If we play 4-2-3-1 then playing inverted wingers wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.  It doesn't matter that Marveaux didn't play there for Rennes.  Players can change positions when they move clubs!  Carr even said himself, I think, that Marveaux should be suitable for both wings.

Ryan Taylor can play at left-back.

Wonder if the added travel will have any impact on Fulham. I know you're also playing away on Thursday, but they're in Ukraine, then are 300 miles north of London.

Don't think people should underestimate Fulham, they have some good players, but it's the sort of game you should be winning if you want to really progress this year.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Krul

Coloccini

Saylor      Williamson

Raylor                Tiote          Jonas

Cabaye            Barton

Ameobi    Ba

Hope Pardew won't consider something like that.

What is that shit, man? :laugh:

???

???

he is nobodies first choice there....but he has proven he can do the job until we sign someone else. 2 clean sheets + he 1 goal from Taylor in the first 2 matches is good. Sure he can do the job against Fulham....it will be our weakest position....and taylor probably knows it himself....but he is helping out in a position that is very akward for him....shouldn´t complain just be happy with what he has done.

Taylor is and ok squad player...."can" cover a couple of positions if needed + a real treat on free kicks.

Krul

Simpson    Taylor    Coloccini      Taylor*

Tiote

Cabaye

Barton                                        Jonas

Ba          Shola

I think Pardew wants to play two strikers at home, as a general rule. Therefore Ba will come in for Obertan but Ober will probably play vs Scunthorpe.

*Hopefully we will have left back in, if not Taylor will be in full confidence.

Guest CheickMansour

In the past few games there's been very little linkage between midfield and attack, so I'd like to see 4-5-1.

Krul

Simpson     Taylor   Colo    Raylor/New LB

Barton          Tiote    Cabaye        Jonas

Obertan

Ba

I think this will do for now, though ideally we'll have a proper No.10 (HBA) filling Obertan's role in the future.

It has to be said, Obertan was poor against Sunderland. But, nevertheless, I still think Obertan is our best option there right now, given his ability to stretch defences with his pace. We have few other attacking options like that. It should also see us as being more willing to play on the ground rather than hoofing it up to Shola/Ba (not a good combo).

The rest of the team basically picks itself, tbh. There's not a great deal of depth.

Expecting a draw, but fairly hopeful that we will eek out a narrow win. Confidence should be high after Saturday, so this is the perfect time to get some momentum going. 1-0 to us.

EDIT: I'd love it for Sameobi or Vuckic to get a surprise start, but I can't see it happening.

Fucking hate these non 3pm Saturday matches that aren't on the box.

I can't understand why we're playing at 1PM. Fulham is hardly a security risk game? Why not 3PM?

UNless Fulham have requested the early KO so they can catch a flight home earlier???

Pain in the bum KO time though, cocks up lounging around in bed and then mooching about reading the sunday papers before a big dinner etc.

Why are people picking Marveaux on the right?

Popular misconception on these boards...

Well, say Marveaux and Jonas is playing, someone has to play on the right, and I don't see how Jonas is superior in that position. Marveaux has a left foot, and is used to playing in the OCM role, so him going towards the middle of the pitch from the right could be tasty, considering he has a decent shot as well.

Fulham are a decent side and will be difficult to break down. But over the past year, we've put ourselves in a position to make strides over the likes of them. We're at home and should win. I know they're a bit of a bogey team at St James' Park, but confidence should be sky-high with us, and it's going to be pretty low for them on the back of a bad defeat at Wolves. However, the brass tacks of it is: we have better players than them.

Will be really frustrated if we don't beat them tbh. A draw wouldn't be a bad result, but if we're going to improve on last season - it's this sort of game where we need to be turning draws into wins.

I would go with the same midfield trio as Arsenal and Sunderland cos honestly, i think there's absolutely bags of potential in that triumvirate. Once they found their rhythm against the Mackems, they dominated the midfield and as a result, the defence's job was made a lot easier. Need to play them three as frequently as possible because i think they'll be at the root of any success we have this season.

Didn't quite work upfront against the Mackems. Everyone was isolated and there wasn't much movement, so i'd be very keen to shake it up a bit. Depending on new arrivals, obviously, i'd bring Ba back into the fold and play Marveaux ahead of Obertan if he is fit.

------------------------------- Krul -------------------------------

Simpson -------- Taylor ---------- Coloccini ------- RTaylor?

------------------------------ Tiote -------------------------------

------------------ Barton ----------- Cabaye -------------------

Marveaux ------------------------------------------------ Jonas

------------------------------- Ba ---------------------------------

Need to put a bit more faith in Ba, like. We know all about Shola. He'll have his good games and bad games, and he's never gonna do anything more than a shift when he's up top on his own. I would be tempted to switch Jonas and Marveaux onto opposite wings if we've found a new left-back. Presently, however, we'll need Gutierrez down that side to help protect Taylor.