Uefa Cup: advanced stages this season

Guest stormrider

Guest stormrider

What does everyone think? Are we gonna make it to the QF or SF? Could we do better and get a trophy for a change?

Is Luque (key player in our european matches) gonna be around to help us do that? Could we do it in case he left?

Seems like we could do another run this year as well.

Looking at the teams likely to drop in from the CL, ideally the likes of Sporting, Benfica or CSKA need to be avoided, our performances against well performing Euro sides like Celta who beat Real only a couple of weeks ago and Palermo sitting near the top of Serie A does actually give me hope.

The kind of 'smallish nippy' side we have is conclusively more adaptable to Euro demands and I can see us getting into the S-F as long as we don't get a mad draw.

You see if we'd have had proper full backs (I'd keep Nobby there btw) I'd have gone as far as to say anything was possible in this competition which although strong isn't full of deadly sides. The teams that would cream us will stay safely in the CL.

Looking at the teams that might drop in from the CL:

Bremen/Barca

Sporting

Bordeaux

Shakhtar

Steaua

CSKA/Porto/Arse

Lille/AEK

Benfica/Man U

the ones in bold i could see us beating over 2 legs and with teams like Spurs, Ajax, Sevilla, AZ & Espanyol likely to proceed in the UEFA i think we will have to look to a favourable draw to help see us through. Hopefully getting a point or 3 on Thurs will ensure an easy next round draw (in theory) but after that we need to get a Boro-esque draw and avoid the bigger names. Hopefully with a 3 or 4 new players in in Jan we will have a better squad than we do now and will be able to progress. I'd be happy with QF and anything better will be a bonus. For some reason though i have a hunch that Tottenham will win the UEFA Cup (don't ask me why)

I think it is possible that teams like Palermo, Celta Vigo and Fenerbache (depending on who qualify) could do us a few favours by eliminating some of our superior rivals in the early knockout rounds when they are less motivated.

Arsenal yes as this and the two domestic trophies would be their only chance of silverwear, Man U and Barca not as much but they would still be looking to win a trophy id imagine, plus in theory im approaching it as if we were to play one of these teams and i couldnt see Sir Alex resting players if they were to play us (and even if they did, would we beat them over two legs) and i couldnt see us beating Barca over two legs. I get what you mean though. Grestest threat could well come from any ex-Soviet teams left in the comp a la CSKA Moscow.

hopefully we can make it to the last 8 - i think that would be acceptable.

the winner, i fear, will be one of the major teams dropped out of the cl. i think they'll all have a real go at the waffa, as they are pretty close to the final from the get go.

Very difficult to say at this stage. Every year though 'big' teams drop out of the CL and enter the UEFA, but the final is rarely made up of these drop outs. If Boro can get to the final, anyone can tbh.

Although nothing is settled, I've worked out who will finish where in the groups and the ones in bold are the 7 sides I think we could face in the next round, and they good news is they're all shite.

Champions League drop oots

SV Werder Bremen

Sporting Club de Portgual

Girondins Bordeaux

Shakhtar Donetsk

SL Benfica

CSKA Moscow

OGC Lille

Steaua Bucharest

will play the teams coming in Second and if I'm right these will be:

Maccabi Haifa

Bayer 04 Leverkusen

RC Lensois

AZ 69 Alkmaar

SC Feyenoord

Espanyol

Hapoel Tel Aviv

Fenerbahce SK

The group winners:

Rangers

Tottenham

Sevilla

Parma

Blackburn

AFC Ajax

Panthinaikos

Newcastle

will play the 3rd placed teams:

Slovan Liberec - shite

Dinamo Bucharest - technical but shite

AJ Auxerroise - couldn't beat Rangers...nothing more

Osasuna - Savo Milosevic is their main striker

Nancy - Fucked me bet up the other week - average though

Zulte Waregem - you tell me when a Belgian side has ever beaten a Spanish, Italian or English side

Rapid Bucharest - beat Everton 5-1 last season - so fuck

Palermo

Zulte Waregem - you tell me when a Belgian side has ever beaten a Spanish, Italian or English side

And they're even battling relegation in the Belgian league, they've only qualified last season after they won the Belgian Cup. Although their European performances this season have been nothing less than remarkable I can never see us getting in trouble against them.

Guest stormrider

I guess a draw at least in germany is vital for us to get to the final 16 and then with another nice draw we could see the QF.

Anything after that is up for grabs, TBH.

Guest Murwinduck

Although nothing is settled, I've worked out who will finish where in the groups and the ones in bold are the 7 sides I think we could face in the next round, and they good news is they're all shite.

SV Werder Bremen

Girondins Bordeaux

Shakhtar Donetsk

SL Benfica

CSKA Moscow

OGC Lille

Steaua Bucharest

Maccabi Haifa

Bayer 04 Leverkusen

RC Lensois

AZ 69 Alkmaar

SC Feyenoord

Espanyol

Hapoel Tel Aviv

Fenerbahce SK

The group winners:

Rangers

Tottenham

Sevilla

Parma

Blackburn

AFC Ajax

Panthinaikos

Newcastle

Slovan Liberec - shite

Rapid Bucharest - beat Everton 5-1 last season - so ****

Palermo

first  you should be leader of this group  and than you say this idea. Be careful aganist frankfurt  if you loose  look fenerbahce who will be leader.

SV Werder Bremen

Girondins Bordeaux

Shakhtar Donetsk

SL Benfica

CSKA Moscow

OGC Lille

Steaua Bucharest

Maccabi Haifa

Bayer 04 Leverkusen

RC Lensois

AZ 69 Alkmaar

SC Feyenoord

Espanyol

Hapoel Tel Aviv

Fenerbahce SK

The group winners:

Rangers

Tottenham

Sevilla

Parma

Blackburn

AFC Ajax

Panthinaikos

Newcastle

Slovan Liberec - shite

Rapid Bucharest - beat Everton 5-1 last season - so ****

Palermo

first  you should be leader of this group  and than you say this idea. Be careful aganist frankfurt  if you loose  look fenerbahce who will be leader.

Won't beat Vigo tbh so it doesn't matter bonnie lad

Very difficult to say at this stage. Every year though 'big' teams drop out of the CL and enter the UEFA, but the final is rarely made up of these drop outs. If Boro can get to the final, anyone can tbh.

Aren't the UEFA Cup winners almost always Champions League drop outs?

CSKA and Seville where always entered in UEFA (i think)

I reckon CSKA would beat us and it'd take Shay on top form to have any chance of beating Arsenal, so hopefully the team that drops out gets knocked out by another team.