Is it wrong to note 100m winners are always black?

OzzieMandias

In regards to the 100 meters, it is actually West Africans they are talking about. These comprise most of the well-known Black African footballers and about 95 percent of the slaves that were sent to the new World. The problem here is the generalization of all Africans as simply "black". People of East and South african descent have not produced sprinting success because they are physiologically different. Similarly, mations like Nigeria, Ghana, etc, that have produced top sprinters and footballers cannot compete in distance running.

You can write a similar article asking why whites and Asians dominate weightlifting.

I didn't find the first part to be particularly interesting, as it was common sense. The second part didn't really relate to the first. Racial discrimination in the work place is not the same as the average person realising that top black athletes are faster than top white athletes are that top East asian athletes seem to dominate sports involving flexibilty and dexterity. The biases in the work place are more based on culture rather than physical observation.

I think it is wrong yeah, they're not always black.  The winner of the 100 metres in PE at my high school was always white without fail.

It helps that black men weren't invented in the North East untl Shola made his Newcastle debut.

Guest Micktoon

:spit:

I think it is wrong yeah, they're not always black.  The winner of the 100 metres in PE at my high school was always white without fail.

It helps that black men weren't invented in the North East untl Shola made his Newcastle debut.

:spit:  yet so true. Went to West Denton High and i have to admit, that there was a distinct lack of anything other than "white boys"

Hereditary and socio economic trends are old news.

People of West African decent will always be the best sprinters.  The same way as there will never be a black Olympic swimming champion or an Ethiopian skiing champion.

It's not racist, it's just pure fact.  There are plenty of scientific reasons why people of a certain genetic lineage are better at certain sports.

Anyway, how would saying "Black people are the best sprinters" be racist?  It's a compliment if anything!

That's what fucks me off tbh, every time I see a black man and go up to him saying "Oh I bet you have a massive cock, go on, lets have a look?"  they get the hump.

It's a fucking compliment you sentive tosser!

Guest CheickMansour

Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but isn't the article basically saying that skin colour is irrelevant (as far as success in running is concerned). What matters is that the athlete has a genetic lineage from the Nandi region of the Rift Valley.

It is these genes from Nandi region that matter; the genes relating to skin colour don't. In other words the two are completely separate, totally unconnected, and don't affect each other.

Of course black people in general are not better sprinters, but professional athletics is about a fractional percentile of the population - and it's clear that blacks have genetic traits that allow them to perform better at the extremities of running performance than white.

And why does he headline the article using sprinters, then confines his argument and evidence to distance runners? That black sprinters have not been confined to one region seems to undermine his argument entirely.

Guest optimistic nit

People of West African decent will always be the best sprinters.  The same way as there will never be a black Olympic swimming champion or an Ethiopian skiing champion.

It's not racist, it's just pure fact.  There are plenty of scientific reasons why people of a certain genetic lineage are better at certain sports.

Anyway, how would saying "Black people are the best sprinters" be racist?  It's a compliment if anything!

The story isn't about whether something is racist or not or about the false falicy that positive stereotypes are any better than negative stereotypes. it is about the negative effects of brittish people labling all black people into one group, with out recognising the regional differences in the multi-cultural 21st century.

and btw thats not me saying there is anything wrong with saying black people only win the 100m.

Guest Stephen927

It ain't about black or white, cause we human.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1vcTLL9vphXqbLy7b4MQ3lx2IM1F9kgCV3GR1oIrdiAqQPBmU

People of West African decent will always be the best sprinters.  The same way as there will never be a black Olympic swimming champion or an Ethiopian skiing champion.

It's not racist, it's just pure fact.  There are plenty of scientific reasons why people of a certain genetic lineage are better at certain sports.

Anyway, how would saying "Black people are the best sprinters" be racist?  It's a compliment if anything!

The story isn't about whether something is racist or not or about the false falicy that positive stereotypes are any better than negative stereotypes. it is about the negative effects of brittish people labling all black people into one group, with out recognising the regional differences in the multi-cultural 21st century.

and btw thats not me saying there is anything wrong with saying black people only win the 100m.

I understand the logic behind it but the writer is still wrong. It's not just Kenyan's in the long distances but a fair few East African nations. With the sprints, it's more than African-Americans and Jamaicans but people of West African descent.

But in general you won't assume a Jamaican lad is shit fast just because he's Jamaican so the article falls on that too.

I don't think the same rationale in thinking elite sprinters are black is the same as rejecting an application because the dude's name is Lashawn Ola Babatunde.

Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but isn't the article basically saying that skin colour is irrelevant (as far as success in running is concerned). What matters is that the athlete has a genetic lineage from the Nandi region of the Rift Valley.

It is these genes from Nandi region that matter; the genes relating to skin colour don't. In other words the two are completely separate, totally unconnected, and don't affect each other.

I think what the article is driving at is that people overgeneralise too much. Still, the article itself is full of flawed logic and invalid conclusions.

The author (like most people) fails to recognise the difference between race and culture.

I don't think the same rationale in thinking elite sprinters are black is the same as rejecting an application because the dude's name is Lashawn Ola Babatunde.

They almost certainly both have their roots in the same cognitive process (snap judgements based on internalised past experience/knowledge/beliefs).