Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

3 hours ago, Myleftboot said:

Right footed left back.

I know that's where he played, so I guess he was, but I never felt he was good in that position.

I'd have loved to see him get extended time as a right back, or in the middle of the park, or as a right winger. He was a fantastic footballer but he just lost something playing left back from what I could tell.

Anyway, wish him well for his retirement.

Lest we forget:

Pardew was quoted as saying by the BBC: 

"Davide Santon's midfield performance [against Chelsea], forget about what it looked like to the naked eye, his stats were very good, which is great news. It gives us a player we can put in there now."

Can’t believe how fucking shit the football we played under Pardew was given the quality of players he had when he was here. Santon was a player that I thought would develop further after he left us but it looks like injuries just massively hampered his game 

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

I know that's where he played, so I guess he was, but I never felt he was good in that position.

I'd have loved to see him get extended time as a right back, or in the middle of the park, or as a right winger. He was a fantastic footballer but he just lost something playing left back from what I could tell.

Anyway, wish him well for his retirement.

I always got the impression he was put at left back at Inter Milan as the manager couldn't give him any game time anywhere else, and then he just became a left back. A bit similar to Hughes being a right back here because he couldn't get playing time at CB. Always wanted to see Santon getting an extended run at right back too.