Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

US paper:

"MANAUS, Brazil – Make no mistake about it. The United States played Portugal, and Cristiano Ronaldo off the pitch.

Following Nani’s goal in the fourth minute off a Geoff Cameron miscue, the U.S. dominated every aspect of play in the sweltering jungle."

Is that really true?

I thought so like.

Why in God's name did Bradley turn into 2 Portuguese players at the end there? I can't get my head around that gaff man.

Jermaine Jones played like a boss yesterday, by the way. 

tbf there were a handful of stupid choices to cross the ball rather than take it into the corner from the 85th minute onwards.

I agree about that too, was saying it to anyone listening to me yesterday - ball needed to be taken to the corner flag and we needed to adopt some ultimate time wasting tactics.

Jones is playing better than he ever has for the USA.  Never liked him but he is repaying some faith here, been played in 2 different positions and put in 2 outstanding performances.

What team will you go for now knowing that a draw is good enough?  I'd go:

Howard

Cameron-Besler-Gonzalez-Beasley

Jones

Zusi-Bradley-Diskerud-Johnson

Dempsey

Jones is playing better than he ever has for the USA.  Never liked him but he is repaying some faith here, been played in 2 different positions and put in 2 outstanding performances.

What team will you go for now knowing that a draw is good enough?  I'd go:

Howard

Cameron-Besler-Gonzalez-Beasley

Jones

Zusi-Bradley-Diskerud-Johnson

Dempsey

I'll be surprised if Klinsmann changes anything from the Portugal game, unless injury/fatigue is setting in.

One of the criticisms of Bob Bradley when he was coach was that he'd often pick a head-scratching starting XI, but make brilliant substitutions. Klinsmann seems the opposite. Outside of the Brooks substitution against Ghana, which was out of necessary, there've been some very questionable switches.

Thought Yedlin was excellent tbf

Good point. Gonzalez for Zusi is staring me directly in the face.

Have to think a big forward like Boyd or Eddie Johnson would've been key, though Wondo showed okay after he came on.

Blatant the lack of Donovan made the Portoguese equalize. :huff:

Though really I blame it on Michael Bradley who had been absolutely brilliant up until that moment. Can't even imagine how it must feel for the actual Americans on here considering just how gutted I felt as a US sympathizer. :lol:

Guest palnese

Really hope we get to see Mix on the pitch at some stage.

Well impressed with Bradley last night. Looked much better in a deeper role rather than playing off Dempsey, mind. That right back looked a very good player as well. Portugal's tactics probably made it a bit easy for him, but he got forward well and made things happen.

Man, head scratching at Bradley - thought he was rather poor so far this cup. But thought Yedlin was a great substitution. Zusi should have absolutely stayed on as well.

I'm still gutted man, still.

http://soccer.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/06/23/usa-portugal-tactics-world-cup-cristiano-ronaldo-michael-bradley-varela

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2014/06/23/world-cup-2014-group-stage-day-11/

...the wider problem is the USA’s tendency to react too much to the game state. Throughout their opening two matches they’ve showed some great attacking play when behind, or drawing. They started brilliantly against Ghana, and responded superbly to conceding an equaliser – but during the period they were ahead, they sat extremely deep and invited so much pressure.

Bingo.