Open Wide For Some Soccer!

Mike

This was in the original announcement, couldn't see more detail

"The Confederation’s teams will also contend -- via the League of Nations -- for the right to play in international championships such as the Gold Cup.  Additionally, the League of Nations will inform a CONCACAF ranking system that will be used as the basis for future World Cup Qualifying seeding."

16 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

I live in Denver proper. My area is called West Colfax but I’m right on the border with Sun Valley where Mile High is. 

Got it, I thought you meant you live across from Dick's Arena or whatever its called where the Rapids play. 

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

:lol: Refs getting medals after that.

CONCACAF will always be held back/never taken seriously because of the refs. They’re trash.

54 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

:lol: Glad you went

Ended up with a free ticket so I couldn’t say no. 

Luckily I’ve been to enough punk shows in my life to not freak out about some beer. With the amount of fights after the final whistle, others were clearly not so used to it. :lol: 

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

CONCACAF will always be held back/never taken seriously because of the refs. They’re trash.

Ended up with a free ticket so I couldn’t say no. 

Luckily I’ve been to enough punk shows in my life to not freak out about some beer. With the amount of fights after the final whistle, others were clearly not so used to it. :lol: 

Was it from people celebrating, or were US and Mexico fans hoying them at each other?

I went to Cruz Azul v América in Mexico City once. As a tense as a rivalry as I thought it was supposed to be, there was actually a lot of fans mixed in without much trouble. But there was some arguing when an Azul fan chucked a beer at an América one (or vice versa). Wasn't used to seeing beer in the stands at all.

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

Was the disallowed Mexico goal in the first half correctly called offside? Can't see a replay.

I was texting with my buddy who was watching on TV and he said it was really really close. 

10 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Was it from people celebrating, or were US and Mexico fans hoying them at each other?

I went to Cruz Azul v América in Mexico City once. As a tense as a rivalry as I thought it was supposed to be, there was actually a lot of fans mixed in without much trouble. But there was some arguing when an Azul fan chucked a beer at an América one (or vice versa). Wasn't used to seeing beer in the stands at all.

I don’t think there was a lot of direct throwing of drinks. It was just a lot of them raining down on us from the four levels above us anytime someone would score.

There was just a ton of animosity at the end which was palpable. Like I started to feel uncomfortable with the way things were turning in the last 15 minutes of the match. Surprised I didn’t see anyone really take a hit or anything. Just a lot of pushing and shoving and yelling but it felt like it was very very close to boiling over. 

Never been in an atmosphere like that. Was totally wild and I’m so stoked I was able to go and see that (what will be a famous) win first hand. 

Edited by cubaricho

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

That was an absolutely insane match to have been at. I am completely soaked with beer. 

I was at Chile 7 Mexico 0.

Seeing Mexican fans lose it and throw beer is a fond memory now. Treasure it forever.

The offside call looks wrong to me like, dodgy VAR call. No way you can pick out there with any confidence any of the attacker being ahead of his the defender's foot (2:39) - it's like he's given benefit of the doubt to defence. Both the penalties look harsh too, especially Mexico one, looks like he didn't want to waste VAR if he'd walked over there.

Edited by Inferior Acuña