Rooney vs Shearer

ponsaelius

Guest Randy Savage

As a pure finisher, Shearer.

As an all round footballer, Rooney. A joy to watch in full flight.

Maybe Wayne could recommend his hair doctor to Shearer.  :razz:

Far too early to even draw comparison IMO.

Rooney is the far better all round player though & you could easily argue they're totally different players. Shearer is an out & out 9 whereas Rooney can play to a certain level across the front line.

Be interesting to see if he maintains his standard if he picks up similar knocks to what Shearer did.

Rooney's looking sexual atm, but if you'd asked this 9 months ago when he barely looked like a league 1 player...

99/9% wasn't you but who was that knacker on here who said he didn't want to Rooney in and England XI?

As a pure finisher, Shearer.

As an all round footballer, Rooney. A joy to watch in full flight.

The virtues that make Rooney a more allround footballer are those that are meaning he becomes more and more of a midfielder as he gets older. Ie his vision and playmaking abilities.

As a striker, Shearer had everything far and beyond finishing. Intelligence, movement, excellent technique, brings others into play, could drop wide, was a fantastic crosser of the ball, could take set pieces etc. The fact that Shearer has such a good goalscoring record often undermines the fact that he was an excellent footballer too - IMO. Especially pre-injuries.

As they don't really play in the same position, they're not really comparable.

As a number 10 - I'd take Rooney, but when they've both played in the same position as a central striker I'd take Shearer every day of the week.

As they don't really play in the same position, they're not really comparable.

As a number 10 - I'd take Rooney, but when they've both played in the same position as a central striker I'd take Shearer every day of the week.

That's how I couch/understood the question, and my answer too. :thup:

One thing when you compare the two, the amount of goals Shearer scored from outside of the box was amazing. Rooney used to be able to do that, but his shooting from distance is nothing special now.

Plus Shearer just had that knack, he's the most determined forward I've ever seen when it comes to getting on the end of things. He'd make sure he was there, no matter what. Rooney, just doesn't do that.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Hard to compare juxtaposed but if someone asked me who I wanted in my XI, an at peak Rooney or an at peak Shearer, Shearer would win every day of the week.

At his peak Shearer wasn't even playing the game he was just laughing at mere mortals & don't forget Rooney has played in better teams practically all his career and is yet to do it for England...

Was thinking about Rooney's goal scoring after the Bulgaria game.

1 more goal and Rooney breaks the top ten Premier League goal scorers. Wonder if he can go all the way to the top.

Hard to compare juxtaposed but if someone asked me who I wanted in my XI, an at peak Rooney or an at peak Shearer, Shearer would win every day of the week.

At his peak Shearer wasn't even playing the game he was just laughing at mere mortals & don't forget Rooney has played in better teams practically all his career and is yet to do it for England...

Rooney is IMO playing against far better defences week in, week out than Shearer did though. [/nottakinganythingaway]

Disco, here it is btw:

Rooney - League 1 standard.  Nothing more than hype.

Team that I would pick:

Hart

Richards

Lescott

Terry (The lack of English CBs is shocking!)

Cole

Milner

Barton

A. Johnson

Lennon

Carroll

Bent

Not ideal, but would have done a damn sight better than the gutless wankers who allegedly represent England.

Disco, here it is btw:

Rooney - League 1 standard.  Nothing more than hype.

Team that I would pick:

Hart

Richards

Lescott

Terry (The lack of English CBs is shocking!)

Cole

Milner

Barton

A. Johnson

Lennon

Carroll

Bent

Not ideal, but would have done a damn sight better than the gutless wankers who allegedly represent England.

:lol:

Goes without saying but I'm sure there were others mind.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Rooney is IMO playing against far better defences week in, week out than Shearer did though. [/nottakinganythingaway]

That's not true at all tbh.

That's not true at all tbh.